Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
|Category:||Portable Flash and Lighting|
Pentax AF540FGZ auto-flash unit introduced - Pentax announce powerful clip-on auto-flash with auto zoom head and digital SLR compatibility
When mounted on a Pentax auto-focus SLR (after the Z-10 and including digital format models) equipped with an FA-, FA J-, DFA- or DA- series lens, the AF540FGZ automatically adjusts its angle of discharge to the lens' focal length. (Please note this automatic function may not be available for certain combinations of a camera body and lens.)
The AF540FGZ auto-flash unit also features a newly provided 'Digital' position on the focal-length conversion scale of the zoom head which can accommodate digital SLRs, Bounce Flash function with adjustable angles of -10 to 90 degrees vertically and up to 180 degrees horizontally, and Power-zoom flash head to cover angles of view for 24mm to 85mm lenses (in 35mm format).
The flash unit also incorporates a built-in wide angle panel which slides out to cover 20mm angle of view (in 35mm format) and a built-in catch-light panel which is particularly useful and effective for portrait photography.
The AF540FGZ auto-flash unit is compatible with a range of batteries, and is able to run on either 4x AA alkaline batteries, 4x AA lithium batteries or 4x AA Ni-MH batteries. An optional TR Power Pack II is also available for an external power supply to the unit. To maximise battery life an auto power-off function is included (this can be cancelled by the user).
The flash unit, which has dimensions of 142mm x 76mm x 107mm and weighs 380g (without batteries) also features test discharge, modelling light, spotbeam projector and red-eye reduction.
Main Specification of the AF540FGZ auto-flash unit:
1) Type: Clip-on-type auto-zoom P-TTL auto flash with active spotbeam projector
2) Flash control: TTL-series-control auto flash; Manual flash
3) Flash modes: P-TTL (TTL corrective auto flash, contrast-control auto flash); TTL (TTL auto flash); A (programmed auto flash); M (manual flash); SB (spotbeam emission only)
4) Discharge angles: 31 degrees 78 degrees horizontally (98 degrees with wide-angle panel); 23 degrees 60 degrees vertically (85 degrees with wide-angle panel)
5) Bounce flash: Variable-angle type: Vertical click-stop settings: -10, 0, 30, 45, 60, 75, 90 (with click-stop lock for a shift from 0 to -10); Horizontal click-stop settings (clockwise): 0, 30, 60, 90, 120, 150, 180; Horizontal click-stop settings (counterclockwise): 0, 30, 60, 90, 135
6) Focal-length coverage: Zoom type, covering angles of view for 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 70mm, 85mm lenses (in 35mm format). 20mm angle of view covered with wide-angle panel
7) Guide number: 54 max. (at ISO100). Manual setting at 7 levels: Full, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64
8) Flash range (in P-TTL, TTL and A modes): Film speed coupling range: ISO25 ISO1600; Illumination range: 0.8m - 8.0m (at G.N.45, ISO 100, F5.6)
9) Flash interval and battery life: Approx. 6-second interval, approx. 200 full-level discharges (with alkaline batteries); Approx. 6-second interval, approx. 350 full-level discharges (with lithium batteries); Approx. 6-second interval, approx. 250 full-level discharges (with Ni-MH batteries)
10) Consecutive discharge: More than 50 discharges (at 1/16-level setting and 2 frames-per-second speed, with alkaline batteries)
11) Color temperature balance: Daylight
12) Wireless modes: MASTER (discharge level control and main discharge by optical control); CONTROL (discharge level control by optical control); SLAVE (contrast-control discharge by optical control, or slave discharge at main discharge)
13) Synchronization modes: Leading-shutter-curtain sync; Trailing-shutter-curtain sync; Contrast-control sync; High-speed sync
14) External LCD indication: Format; Flash mode; Zoom; Channel; ISO speed; Discharge level compensation; Spotbeam; F number; Discharge level; Wireless mode; Bounce flash warning; Sync mode; Discharge distance; Out-of-coupling-range warning. LED illumination available.
15) Format indication: Coupled with digital, 35mm, 645, 67 formats. Zoom display function available.
Launch date and price to be announced.
Help support ePHOTOzine and look here for other Pentax flashguns