Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Pentax announce Optio S40 - Ultra-compact digital with aluminium exterior
Ultra-compact, sophisticated design
- Embracing the unique PENTAX Sliding Lens system, the OptioS40 achieves exceptionally compact dimensions.
- Compatible with two AA batteries and has an attractive aluminium exterior made more appealing through the addition of vertical and horizontal hairline engravings.
- Small enough to be comfortably worn about the neck or easily slipped in the pocket, the OptioS40 is ideal for the capture of opportunities, wherever, whenever.
4.0 effective megapixel clarity
- For exceptional clarity in all shots extending from scenery to macro shooting, the OptioS40 has the imaging power of 4.0 effective megapixels.
- A primary colour filter and advanced imaging technologies achieve brighter, more natural colours and a noticeable enhancement in image quality in general.
Ultra-compact, 3X optical zoom lens
- The OptioS40 features an smc PENTAX lens one of a series renowned the world over for sheer, superior quality.
- 3X optical zoom capability with a focal range covering angles of view equivalent to those of a 35-105mm lens in 35mm format, it allows extreme freedom of composition.
- It is comprised of 5 groups of 6 elements crafted entirely from glass, and features two lenses crafted to be aspherical on each side.
- For further capability, the optical zoom can also be augmented with 2.6 X (approx.) digital zoom too, achieving total zooming power of a satisfying 8X (approx.).
- All buttons and controls have been located within easy reach when in a ready-to shoot position
- All buttons on the back of the camera have been made bigger for easier manipulation.
- A handy mode dial is employed to allow virtually effortless selection from the impressive array of shooting modes.
- To offer the utmost in customized, easy operation, the OptioS40 allows four frequently used functions to be selected from a choice of ten (recording size, image quality, exposure compensation, metering, white balance, sharpness, saturation, contrast, ISO, and AF area).
- These can then be assigned to the left and right elements of the four-way controller for access when the dial position is set in modes other than Auto Select, Movie, and Voice recording.
9-position mode dial
Shooting modes can be easily selected with a handy dial positioned in the middle of the top surface. Simply set the dial to one of the nine modes described below and let the camera take care of all relevant settings automatically.
1. Auto Select Taking care of all settings automatically. It also features a help function that displays easy explanations of different button functions.
2. Portrait Specially designed to capture skin tones in an altogether more natural, flattering manner.
3. Landscape Makes it easy to capture the expansive beauty of wide-open natural scenes.
4. Night scene Captures a significant amount of detail while retaining the true mood of shots taken in low light.
5. Movie* Allows the user to record video accompanied by the advantage of sound!
*Recorded movies can be viewed using ACDSee for PENTAX (on systems with QuickTimeTM installed).
6. Voice recording Allows the user to record voice messages.
7. Digital effect Offers a range of digital effects for the creation of interesting images, with 8 digital filters, 2 in 1, Panorama Assist functions.
8. Program Leaves all settings to the camera for spur-of- the-moment photo opportunities.
9. Picture Allows the user to choose one of 10 different settings to swiftly make the most of the situation at hand.
Simple shooting with 10 Picture modes
In addition to placing Portrait, Landscape, and Night scene modes directly on the mode dial, the OptioS40 also offers 10 picture modes with exceptionally easy access. All you have to do is just select the icon most appropriate for the scene, compose, then capture.
1. Flower Specially designed to bring out the vivid colour and intricate detail of flowers.
2. Self-portrait Delivers sharp results and glittering tones when you point the camera to yourself to take a shot.
3. Surf Counteracts the problems associated with reflections of light off water enabling pleasing, appropriate exposure throughout the frame.
4. Snow Helps to maintain true colour and avoid the detrimental effects of excessive reflections off snow.
5. Sunset mode Designed to capture the warmth and romance of sunrise and sunset scenes.
6. Museum Allows optimal exposure while ensuring the flash doesnt fire.
7. Text Developed to capture written material in a manner that maximizes legibility.
8. Food Helps to achieve natural colour, convey convincing texture, and communicate the real freshness of food.
9. Landscape Portrait Designed to clearly capture portrait along with expansive scenery.
10. Marine Marine mode makes it easy to capture natural colours when shooting underwater. You can also choose to shoot soundless movies underwater too. *When the OptioS40 is housed within an optionally available waterproof case.
Digital effect modes
With a choice of digital filters, 2 in 1, and Panorama Assist functions, the OptioS40 opens up a range of exciting creative avenues.
8 digital filters Users can emphasize key colours of the original scene or add an entirely different mood altogether by using digital filters (black and white, sepia, red, green, blue, B&W with red, B&W with green, and B&W with blue).
2 in 1 The handy 2 in 1 function cuts a single frame in two, allowing two different images to be recorded side by side.
Panorama Assist Users can follow the cameras simple guidance to take a series of horizontal or vertical shots. These can then easily be aligned and combined on a PC using the software provided to create one large image that captures expansive scenes in their entirety.
Help function in Auto Select mode Help function can be easily accessed when in both recording and playback modes, displaying simple explanations of all button functions on the screen.
PictBridge compatibility The OptioS40 supports PictBridge, a new direct-print standard released by CIPA (Camera and Imaging Production Association). With this advantage, the OptioS40 can be connected directly to a printer that supports PictBridge via USB cable and offer control over printing, resizing, digital filter, and other functions all without the need for a PC.
Other helpful features
- USB mass storage class compatibility
- Exclusive ACDSee for PENTAX for easy graphic conversion, album creation, etc. included
- Built-in auto flash
- Convenient LCD monitor
- Optical viewfinder
- Nine-image and Zoom display
- Convenient self-timer
- Continuous shooting
- Macro mode, Infinity-landscape mode
- Manual focus
- Options for autofocus (Spot AF, 5point autofocus)
- White balance settings
- Histogram display
- 3 choices for metering (Multi-segment metering, centre-weighted metering, and spot metering)
- Various sensitivity
- Exposure compensation
- Settings for sharpness, saturation, and contrast
- Image protection
- Mode memory function
- World time function
- DPOF compatibility
- Exif Print and PRINT Image Matching II* compatibility
- Approximately 11MB of built-in memory
- SD memory card compatibility
- Resize function
- Voice memo function
- Av (video/audio) output terminal
- Operation in 9 languages
- AC adapter
- Waterproof case (O-WP3) For depths of up to 40m.
- Remote control unit
Available April with a guide price of £300