Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Pentax has DA* short telephoto lens - New technology with Supersonic motor provides smoothest, quietest autofocusing operation for Pentax yet.
22nd February 2007: Pentax launches the new, high performance smc PENTAX-DA*, interchangeable, zoom lens range. The PENTAX-DA* 16-50mm and smc PENTAX-DA* 50-135mm are the first models in the range to boast a supersonic motor that delivers smoother, quieter autofocusing operation.
Designed exclusively for use with Pentax's digital SLR cameras, the lenses bring together Pentax's advanced optical technologies, including aspherical elements and original lens coatings. The PENTAX-DA* range also features a tightly sealed, weather and dust-resistant construction to enhance durability and when used with the Pentax K10D, create a completely weather resistant system that can be used in the most challenging of environments.
"Our engineers are rightly proud of their achievements with these new DA* lenses. Pentax has built an enviable reputation with its * lenses, and these new additions to the range are eagerly anticipated by photo enthusiasts and professionals. Each one is a testament to Pentax' continuous pursuit of the ultimate image quality in digital photography," said Phil Williams, Divisional Head, Imaging Systems at Pentax.
Major Features of the smc PENTAX-DA* 50-135mm F2.8ED [IF]SDM Lens
- When mounted on a PENTAX digital SLR camera body, this 2.7x zoom lens covers angles of view from 76.5mm to 207mm (in 35mm format). Coupled with a large maximum aperture of f/2.8, it is a perfect telephoto zoom lens for applications such as portraiture, featuring beautifully constructed, out-of-focus backgrounds, and sports photography freezing split-second action at high shutter speeds.
- Incorporating three ED (extra-low dispersion) elements, this telephoto zoom lens effectively minimises the chromatic aberrations which would be particularly detrimental to image-forming performance.
- This telephoto zoom lens is treated with PENTAX-original ghostless coating to effectively minimise internal reflections in the optical elements and greatly improve contrast and clarity with backlit subjects.
- Lens mount: PENTAX KAF2 mount
- Lens construction: 18 elements in 14 groups
- Angle of view: 31.5-11.9° ( when used with PENTAX Digital SLR camera body)
- Aperture control: Automatic
- Minimum aperture: f/22
- Number of diaphragm blades: 9
- Metering system: TTL open-aperture metering
- Minimum focusing distance: 1.0m
- Filter size: 67mm
- Maximum magnification: 0.17x
- Dimensions (diameter x length): 76.5mm x 136mm
- Weight: 685g (24.2oz) without hood, 765g with hood
These lenses are available from retailers as of May 2007.