Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Pentax launch zoom lens - Pentax launch 17-70mm standard zoom lens offering approximately 4.1X zoom ratio and designed exclusively for Pentax digital SLRs.
Pentax are pleased to announce the marketing of the smc Pentax-DA 17-70mm f/4AL[IF] SDM interchangeable zoom lens, designed for exclusive use with Pentax digital SLR cameras. This standard zoom lens covers the most frequently used focal lengths between wide-angle and telephoto ranges, and offers outstanding operability and well-balanced image quality.
- Lens mount: Pentax KAF3 mount
- Lens construction: 17 elements in 12 groups
- Angle of view: 79° - 23° (with Pentax D-SLR camera body)
- Number of diaphragm blades: 7
- Minimum aperture: f/22
- Minimum focusing distance: 0.28m (0.92 ft.)
- Filter size: 67mm
- Maximum magnification: 0.31X
- Dimensions (diameter x length): 75mm x 93.5mm (3.0in x 3.7in)
- Weight: 485g (17.1 oz.) without hood; 515g (18.2 oz.) with hood
Approximately 4.1-times zoom ratio covering from wide-angle to moderate-telephoto ranges
When mounted on a Pentax digital SLR camera body, this zoom lens offers an approximately 4.1-times zoom ratio covering the focal-length range from 26mm wide angle to 107mm telephoto in the 35mm format. It offers the most frequently used focal lengths in day-to-day photography, making it ideal for a host of casual applications, including scenery, snapshot and portraiture.
Extra-smooth, extra-quiet SDM autofocus system
Thanks to the incorporation of the Pentax-original SDM system driven by a built-in supersonic motor, this zoom lens offers exceptionally smooth, quiet autofocusing operation. When mounted on an SDM-compatible Pentax digital SLR camera body,* the focus mode is automatically switched to SDM-assisted autofocusing. Because this zoom lens has been developed exclusively for SDM-assisted autofocusing, it is designed to be compact and maneuverable despite the incorporation of the built-in supersonic motor.
* This lens is compatible with the K20D, K200D, K100D Super and K10D (with Ver. 1.30 or later firmware installed) camera bodies. When mounted on other camera bodies, the focus mode is automatically switched to manual.
Exceptional image description
Incorporating two hybrid aspherical (AL) optical elements in its optics, this zoom lens assures exceptional image quality, while effectively compensating for various aberrations.
Maximum aperture of f/4 over the entire zoom range
Since this zoom lens offers a maximum aperture of f/4 over the entire zoom range, it lets the photographer use higher shutter speeds to minimise annoying camera shake — especially in telephoto applications — or reduce the depth of field to intentionally throw the background out of focus.
Digital SLR-exclusive optical design
From lens coating and curvature to the positioning of optical elements, the optics have been meticulously designed to optimise the lens’ digital imaging characteristics. The image circle is perfectly proportioned to the camera’s image-sensor size.
- Minimum focusing distance of 0.28 meters over the entire zoom range
- Inner-Focus (IF) system to eliminate lens extension and retraction during focusing operation
- Quick-Shift Focus System for instant switching to manual-focus operation without any focus-mode changes, after the subject is captured in focus by the AF system
- SP (Super Protect) coating applied to the front surface to repel dust, water and grease
For more information please visit the Pentax website.