Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Pentax has announced the new super telephoto lens, the Pentax HD DA 560mm f/5.6 ED AW for K-mount cameras. It will be available from early December, with an RRP of £5999.
From Pentax: A super-telephoto lens assuring sharp, well-balanced images of distant subjects, designed for use with K-mount digital cameras.
PENTAX RICOH IMAGING UK LTD. is pleased to announce the launch of the HD PENTAX-DA 560mm F5.6 ED AW super-telephoto lens, designed for exclusive use with PENTAX K-mount interchangeable lens digital cameras.
Thanks to the incorporation of PENTAX-original HD Coating — a newly developed high-grade multi-layer lens coating, and telescope-type optics, this super-telephoto lens delivers clear, well-defined images of distant subjects.
When mounted on a PENTAX K-mount digital camera body, this super-telephoto lens offers an equivalent focal length of approximately 859mm in the 35mm format. Since the lens’ unique telescope-type optics require fewer optical elements than conventional lenses, it delivers sharp, well-defined images, particularly of distant subjects. By incorporating two ED (extra-low dispersion) optical elements, it also delivers bright, high-resolution images even at the edges, while effectively minimising chromatic aberration.
The HD PENTAX-DA 560mm F5.6 ED AW will be available from early December. RRP £5,999.99.
1. New, high-grade HD CoatingThis lens is treated with HD Coating*, a new high-grade multi-layer lens coating developed by PENTAX. Compared with conventional multi-layer coatings, it provides increased light transmittance with reduced reflection, to deliver sharp, clear images free from flare and ghost images, even under demanding lighting conditions.
A new addition to the AW (All Weather) series, this lens features a dependable dustproof, weather-resistant construction with 29 special seals to effectively prevent the intrusion of dust and water into the lens interior.
2. Dustproof, weather-resistant construction
By coupling this lens with a dustproof, weather-resistant PENTAX interchangeable lens digital camera body such as the PENTAX K-5 or PENTAX K-30, the user is assured of a durable, reliable imaging system that performs superbly in demanding outdoor situations — even in rain or mist, or at locations prone to water splashes or spray.
The lens exterior has been painted an elegant white to minimize heat haze generated inside the lens barrel due to strong sun. Featured in the middle of the lens barrel is a red almite ring that clearly signifies the new HD PENTAX lens series. Strap lugs are made from aluminium to enhance its exclusive appearance.
3. New exterior design
4. Easy control of circular polarising filterThis lens comes with a built-in, removable filter holder in the barrel. By mounting the C-PL (circular polarising) filter (40.5mm in diameter; included as an exclusive accessory) to the holder, the user can easily obtain the desired polarising effect simply by rotating the filter with its control ring.
5. Other featuresSmooth autofocus operation using an AF driving motor (DC motor) installed in the lens barrel**
Quick-Shift Focus system for instant switching to manual-focus operation after the subject is captured by the camera’s AF system
SP (Super Protect) coating applied to the front surface of the lens to effectively repel water and grease and to allow the user to easily remove dust and water stains
Rounded diaphragm to produce a smooth, beautiful bokeh (out-of-focus rendition), while minimising the streaking effect of point light sources.
For more information, visit the Pentax website.
Pentax HD DA 560mm f/5.6 ED AW Specifications
|Angle of View||2.9°|
|Internal focusing||No Data|
|Box Contents||Built-in lens hood, Lens cap, Lens case, Mount cap, C-PL filter|
* HD stands for High Definition, and signifies the lens’s capacity to reproduce images that excel in transparency, definition, resolution and rendition.
** This lens is compatible with the K-5 II, K-5 II s, K-30, K-01, K-5, K-r, K-7, K-x, K-m, K20D, K200D, K100D Super and K10D camera bodies (with Ver. 1.30 or later firmware installed). When mounted on other camera bodies, the focus mode is automatically switched to manual.