Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Pentax introduce Optio43WR - Compact digital camera with waterproof casing
Shoot in the rain or snow, by the pool, in the kitchen with the confidence of clarity, comfort born of design, and the resilience of rubber-protection on each of its four corners.
2.8X optical zoom lens
- It is easy to achieve everything from expansive shots of scenery to tightly composed portraits with the 2.8X optical zoom lens equivalent to a 37-104mm lens in 35mm format.
- The zoom lens do not protrude from the body of the camera.
- The optical zooming capability can also be combined with 4X digital zoom, enabling a total of 11.2X zooming power with smooth lever operation.
Shoot anywhere, at any time
- Rust-resistant metal, proprietary rubber sealants, and additional protection are employed for the surface of the lens.
- These factors open up a new world of photographic potential, allowing the user to shoot in the rain, by the pool, on the beach.
- Even the microphone employs a specially designed membrane that allows only sound, not moisture, to permeate and the entire camera can even be rinsed under a tap.
- Once youve activated the handy Quick start setting, theres no need to switch the power on prior to shooting.
- Just press the shutter release button and the Optio43WR automatically selects Snap mode, so youre ready to capture the action whenever an opportunity arises.
Satisfyingly swift response
- For full-fledged waterproof performance, a refraction optical unit is employed in the lens.
- The zoom lens operates throughout its entire focal range without protruding from the camera body.
- The Optio43WR offers the additional benefit of swift response enabling shooting only 0.9 seconds after the power has been switched on.
- When theres not even time to think about focus, selection of Snap mode ensures sharp results automatically.
- The camera also excels in the capture of fast-moving subjects with its release lag of just 0.05 seconds* from one shot to another.
- It requiring only a single touch of a standalone button to switch between modes from shooting to playback.
- While in the playback mode, just a press of the shutter will take you back to shooting.
- Time taken from the moment when the shutter release is fully depressed following focus lock to the moment the shutter opens, when the flash is switched off.
Movies* with smooth, refined quality 640 x 480 recording pixels at 30 fps with audio
- With a newly developed high-speed CCD and innovative image processing circuitry, the Optio43WR allows you to record movies with images composed of 640 x 480 pixels.
- Movie quality is also accelerated with the power of 30fps performance (double the conventional rate)
- Movies can be recorded to the capacity of your chosen memory media.
*To record movies at 30fps, an SD card with a high transfer speed is required. Recorded movies can be viewed using ACDSee for Pentax (on systems with QuickTimeTM installed).
The power of 4.0 effective megapixels
- Despite its overall rugged design, the Optio43WR achieves delicate detail with the advantage of 4.0 effective megapixels.
- Added with a primary colour filter, it reproduces natural, clear tones regardless of the subject.
- The result? An obvious increase in overall image quality.
Wide-ranging shooting modes
An array of shooting modes is available on the virtual mode dial on the LCD display for easy access.
Simply select the one most suited to your subject from a choice of 12, then shoot.
1. Program mode Allows you to take control over a combination of functions at once.
2. Landscape mode Captures the sheer sense of space in scenic shots while emphasizing the different shades of land and sky.
3. Night scene mode Provides satisfying results with minimal effort for shots of night scenes.
4. Night scene portrait mode Allows you to capture detail in low natural light, with a small burst of flash that highlights the foreground subject.
5. Portrait mode Captures natural looking skin tones for more flattering results when shooting people.
6. Surf Counters the common problems associated with water that reflects light to provide appropriate exposure throughout the frame.
7. Flower mode Ideal for capturing the natural detail, colour, and beauty of flowers.
8. Snow Maintains colour the way you see it and avoids the effects of excess reflection.
9. Fireworks mode Ideal for capturing the vivid colours and excitement of fireworks.
10. Snap mode Allows you to capture your subject in an instant with the assurance of automatic pan focusing.
11. Movie Allows the user to select recording pixels from a choice of 640 x 480, 320 x 240, or 160 x 120. The user can also take control over frame rate, selecting between 30fps and 15fps at will. Theres even colour selection which provides a choice of full colour, B&W, and Sepia shooting. Finally, for the utmost in convenience, all files are stored in MOV format for easy playback on PC.
12. Panorama Assist mode When scenes are so expansive they simply cannot be captured in a single shot. However, Panorama Assist allows multiple pictures to be taken horizontally or vertically following the cameras guidance. These can then be aligned and combined on a PC using the simple-to-use software provided.
Digital filters add creativity even after shooting
- Digital filters can be applied after the shot has been recorded.
- Select from an impressive choice of 10 comprising black and white, sepia, red, pink, purple, blue, green, yellow, soft and brightness.
- Select purple to add impact to sunset shades, add brightness to darker shots, or experiment with different filters for a wide range of imaginative results.
It is easy to add speech or other sounds to a single recorded still or movie. It can then be left as a message for someone in your absence. For easy recognition, there's also a red light that signals there's a message.
Nine image/zoom display The LCD monitor can show nine recorded images at the same time to speed the search for recorded shots,. Each image can also be magnified by 8X to allow closer checking for focus and detail.
White balance modes
The Optio43WR offers auto, daylight, shade, tungsten, and fluorescent light settings to ensure appropriate white balance in different situations. It also has a manual setting that allows you to make the decision yourself or experiment to achieve different results.
Metering options Simply select from Spot metering, Multi-segment metering, and Centre-weighted metering to achieve the optimal results for the subject at hand.
Sensitivity settings Light sensitivity can be adjusted to suit your aims or circumstances with a choice ranging from equivalent to ISO50 for minimized noise, to ISO100, 200, and 400 equivalence.
Macro mode Macro mode allows the user to shoot from as close as 1cm from the subject, filling the frame with small objects such as stamps, for example, when the zoom is at the wide-angle setting.
Multiple continuous shooting
With just a single press of the shutter release, this mode takes four consecutive shots, yet records them as one frame capturing all the action in just one image.
A recorded image be used as the start-up screen or as the screen that accompanies the alarm function. Background images for the menu screen can also be selected from 6 preset images.Its also easy to select from 3 different sounds to accompany start-up, shutter release, and button operation. You can also record your own favourite sounds for use with the self-timer and alarm functions.
The Optio43WR supports PictBridge a new direct-print standard released by the CIPA (Camera and Imaging Products Association). Just connect the Optio43WR via USB to a printer supporting PictBridge to make printouts of recorded images without the need for a PC and utilize other handy direct functions such as resizing, trimming, and digital filters.
Other convenient features
- USB mass storage class compatibility
- Useful software included (a CD-ROM that features the ACDSee for Pentax application.)
- Built-in auto flash
- Handy LCD monitor
- Optical viewfinder
- Resize function
- Voice memo function
- Histogram display
- Alarm with snooze function
- Noise reduction function
- Settings for sharpness, saturation, and contrast
- Exposure compensation
- Interval shooting
- Convenient self-timer
- World time function
- DPOF function
- Operation in 8 languages
- AV (video/audio) output terminal
- Various power sources including common AA batteries
- AC adapter kit
Compact-type digital still camera with built-in zoom lens, autofocus, auto exposure and auto flash. Water resistant design (JIS class 7)
|Total pixels 4.23 megapixels
1/2.7 inch interline transfer CCD with a primary colour filter
Recorded Pixels Still 2288 x 1712 pixels, 1600 x 1200 pixels, 1024 x
768 pixels, 640 x 480 pixels
|Sensitivity||Auto, fixed (equivalent to ISO50, 100, 200, 400)|
Still JPEG (Exif 2.2), DCF, DPOF, PRINT Image Matching II
|Storage Media||SD memory card|
Pentax power zoom 5.7mm-16mm (equivalent to 37mm-104mm in 35mm format)f/2.8-f/3.9, 10 elements in 7 groups (3 aspherical element)
|1X - 4.0X|
Type TTL contrast detection autofocus system
5-point autofocus, spot autofocus
Autofocus Normal: 0.3m (0.98ft) to infinity
|Manual Focus||0.01m (0.033ft) to infinity|
|Metering System||TTL metering: Choice of Multi-segment metering, Centre-weighted metering, Spot metering|
Program, Picture mode, Movie, Panorama assist Picture mode Landscape, Night scene, Night scene portrait, Portrait, Surf, Snow, Flower, Firework, Snap
|Digital Filter||During playback mode: Black & White, Sepia, Red, Pink, Purple, Blue, Green, Yellow, Soft, Brightness|
|Exposure Compensation||±2 EV (1/3 steps)|
|Movie Shooting time||From approx. 1 sec. to memory card capacity.|
|Colour mode||Full colour, sepia, or black and white|
|Shutter||Programmed AE electronic lens shutter with CCD electronic shutter|
|Shutter speed||Approx. 1/2000 sec. to 4 sec.|
|Drive Modes||One shot, Continuous, Multiple Continuous, Self-timer, Interval Shooting|
Built-in series-control auto flash. Automatic discharge under low lighting conditions in auto modes. Flash-on and Flash-off modes. "Red-eye" reduction function also available.
Approx. 0.1m - 2.9m (0.33ft - 9.5ft) (5.7mm at sensitivity Auto) Approx. 0.5m - 2.1m (1.64ft - 6.9ft) (16mm at sensitivity Auto)
|White Balance||Auto, Daylight, Shade, Tungsten light, Fluorescent light, Manual setting|
Actual-image zoom viewfinder
1.6 inch, TFT colour LCD (Approx. 85,000 pixels)
|Time||World Time Displays the time in 62 cities (28 time zones)|
Displays an image with alarm (max. three memory settings). Snooze function available.
English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Chinese (Traditional/Simplified), Japanese
Print mode Single image print, All images print, DPOF auto print
AV output terminal, USB terminal, DC input terminal
|Video Output||Compatible with NTSC and PAL formats|
One Lithium battery CR-V3(allows approximately500 shots to be taken*) , two AA batteries (lithium, alkaline, nickel-manganese and rechargeable Ni-MH). Optional AC adapter also available.
|Dimensions||81.5(W) x 76(H) x 30.5(D)mm (3.2 x 3.0 x 1.2 inches) (Excluding protrusions)|
208g ( 7.3 oz.) loaded and ready
Price and availability
Available May 2004 Guide Price around £300