Pentax UK is pleased to announce the launch of the Pentax K-x lensinterchangeable digital SLR camera. The K-x combines a variety of advanced features and user-friendly functions to ensure an outstanding level of photographic performance within a compact, lightweight body.
The K-x design is based on the award winning Pentax K-m, an entry-class digital SLR camera launched in October 2008 that gained popularity for its compact, lightweight body and simple, user-friendly operation. The K-x features a newly designed high performance CMOS image sensor and an upgraded filter function. It also features a whole host of advanced features and such as live view shooting and movie recording, approximately 12.4Mp and high-speed continuous shooting. The K-x is the perfect camera for first-time digital SLR camera users, as well as an ideal backup camera for more experienced photographers.
The K-x is launched in conjunction with the smc Pentax-DA L 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED super-telephoto zoom lens. This zoom lens is designed to be lightweight without compromising the exceptional optical performance common to all Pentax lenses, making super-telephoto photography easier and smoother for K-x users. The smc Pentax-DA L 55-300mm comes as part of a K-x twin lens Kit package.
Main Features of the Pentax K-x:
1. High-quality image reproduction
2. Compact, lightweight body
- Approximately 12.4Mp for true-to-life image reproduction - The K-x incorporates a newly developed CMOS image sensor to assure high-speed image data read-out at varying ISO sensitivity levels. With approximately 12.4 effective megapixels, this image sensor can reproduce true-to-life images with fine detail and rich depth of colours. The K-x also offers a wide sensitivity range between ISO 200 and ISO 6400 and allows the user to expand the sensitivity range between ISO 100 and ISO 12800 via a custom function, giving greater creative freedom.
- High-performance, high-speed PRIME (Pentax Real Image Engine) II imaging engine - Thanks to new technologies supplied by Fujitsu Microelectronics Limited, this new imaging engine offers greater data processing speed and enhanced capability to produce higher-quality images with richer, more accurate colour rendition, as well as faster transmission speed of movie data.
- Despite the incorporation of the large 23.6mm x 15.8mm image sensor, the K-x is one of the most compact, lightweight digital SLR cameras in its class.
3. Live View function, with Face detection of up to 16 faces -
The K-x features a live view function, which allows the user to view the image on its LCD monitor during shooting. The K-x also offers a choice of three different focusing modes during live view shooting: Contrast AF, which optimises the focus based on the subject’s contrast; Face Detection AF, which automatically detects up to 16 faces, selects the main subject’s face from multiple faces, then captures it in sharp focus; and Phase Difference AF, which uses the AF sensor positioned in the camera body to optimise focus on the subject.
4. High-quality recording at 1280 x 720 pixels, with HDTV-proportion movie recording at 24 frames per second
- The K-x provides a movie recording function* which captures beautiful, true-to-life movie clips in 16:9 high-definition TV proportions (1280 x 720 pixels) at a frame rate of 24 frames per second. This extends the benefits of high-quality SLR photography to the world of movie shooting.
5. Pentax-original SR mechanism for sharp, blur-free images
- The K-x features the Pentax-developed SR (Shake Reduction) mechanism. This innovative mechanism extends its benefits to almost all Pentax interchangeable lenses - even those designed for film-format cameras. Thanks to this mechanism, the K-x produces sharp, blur-free images even under demanding conditions prone to camera shake, such as when using a telephoto lens, shooting in the dark without a flash illumination, and taking pictures of sunset scenes.
6. High-speed continuous shooting at approximately 4.7 images per second
- The K-x’s high-speed continuous shooting mode records as many as 17 images (in JPEG recording format) at a maximum speed of approximately 4.7 images per second - the fastest of all entry-class models. The K-x also features a new, reliable shutter unit, which proved its dependability and ruggedness through a demanding action test of more than 100,000 shutter releases. Its top shutter speed of 1/6000 second allows the photographer to preserve sharp, crisp images of fast-moving subjects.
7. Innovative image processing functions to produce distinctive photographic expressions
8. High-precision 11-point AF sensor
- Digital filter function - The K-x’s digital filter function allows the user to process recorded images in a variety of creative ways within the camera and produce highly creative visual expressions. With a choice of 16 different filters, the user can even apply different filters one after another to a single image to create more personalised visual effects.
- Cross process mode - The K-x features the new cross process mode, in which the camera automatically and randomly shifts photographic parameters for each exposure to create eyecatching images with unique, fanciful colours — just like pictures treated with the cross process in film photography.
- The K-x’s high-precision, wide-frame SAFOX VIII autofocus system features 11 sensor points (with nine cross-type sensors positioned in the middle) to automatically capture even off-centered subjects in sharp, crisp focus. The photographer can also select one of the sensors as a focusing point to accommodate specialised applications.
9. Other features
Major Features of the smc Pentax-DA L 55-300mm F4-5.8ED lens
- Energy efficient circuit design for longer battery life, capable of capturing approximately 1,900 images with four AA-size lithium batteries.
- Custom Image function to create unique finishing touches.
- DR (Dust Removal) mechanism to eliminate annoying dust spots on recorded images and visually check for the adhesion of dust to the image sensor.
- 2.7in, high-resolution colour LCD monitor with approximately 230,000 dots.
- Auto Picture mode for effortless, automatic selection of the most appropriate shooting mode, even during Live View shooting.
- HDR (high dynamic range) function to create one composite image with an extra-wide dynamic range from three images with different exposures.
- White balance control, featuring a new CTE mode to emphasise the colour components of sunset scenes.
- Status screen for easy, at-a-glance confirmation of various settings on the LCD monitor.
- Ten scene modes, with selection via simple icons.
- Automatic compensation of distortion and lateral chromatic aberration (available only with DA and D FA series lenses).
- Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4 software package, with RAW-data processing and browser applications.
- A lightweight super-telephoto zoom lens for focal lengths between 84.5mm and 460mm (in the 35mm format)
- ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass optical elements to assure true-to-life image descriptions and faithful colour renditions through effective compensation of chromatic aberrations over the entire zoom range.
The Pentax K-x will be available in September 2009. The K-x with kit lens 18-55mm DAL will have an RRP of £599.99 and the K-x with double kit lens 18-55mm DAL + 55-300mm DAL will have an RRP of £749.99. For more information please visit the Pentax UK
Please see our Pentax K-x preview
Product Coordinator Stephen Sanderson spoke to ePHOTOzine about the Pentax K-x. See it now on ePHOTOzine.tv
. Please note: This is not a final production video. This was shot when ePHOTOzine met with Pentax for an exclusive first look of the Pentax K-x. When we have the review product we will be producing a full, high quality video. We've put this up to give you a first look at the menu system and features.