Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Pentax Corporation is pleased to introduce the Pentax K110D, an entry-class lens-interchangeable digital SLR camera that combines a host of advanced technologies with a simple, user-friendly operation system and a compact, lightweight body. It brings high-quality digital SLR photography to everyone - especially to first-time digital SLR users.
Developed as a starter camera for budding digital SLR photographers, the K110D is designed to capture high-quality images with simplified operation in any situation. In addition to a sophisticated auto focus system that rivals the performance of high-end models, the high-performance K110D offers a bright, clear viewfinder, an extra-large, wide-view LCD monitor, and 6.1 effective megapixels.
1. 11-point wide-frame AF to capture off-center subjects in crisp focus
The K110D's sophisticated SAFOX VIII auto focus system features 11 sensor points (with nine cross-type sensors in the middle) to automatically focus on the subject with utmost precision, even when it is positioned off center. The in-focus sensor point is automatically superimposed in red in the viewfinder for at-a-glance confirmation. This high-precision AF system offers a choice of two AF modes: the conventional single AF, and the continuous AF,** which maintains focus on the moving subject as long as the shutter release button is pressed halfway down.
** The continuous AF mode is selectable by the user only when P, Tv, Av, M or B is selected as a shooting mode on the mode dial. This mode is automatically activated by the camera when the Auto Picture Program, or one of the Picture or Scene modes, is selected.
2. Bright, clear viewfinder
The K110D features a lightweight penta-mirror viewfinder, which combines a Pentax-original finder optics with a Natural-Bright-Matte II focusing screen to deliver a bright, clear subject image with a 0.85-times magnification and a 96-percent field of view.
3. Large LCD monitor to facilitate image viewing and menu setting
The K110D incorporates a large 2.5-inch color LCD monitor on its back panel. Its wide-view design allows the photographer to check the monitor image over 140 degrees vertically and horizontally, ensuring effortless image viewing even from a diagonal position. With a total of approximately 210,000 pixels, it also offers digital zooming of playback images up to 12 times for easy confirmation of the image's focusing status and details. The large monitor size allows for large letters, digits and icons on the menu screens to facilitate menu confirmation and camera operations. In addition, the color scheme between the menu listings and the background is optimized for each menu screen to assure at-a-glance confirmation, even under varying shooting conditions.
4. Auto Picture Mode for effortless point-and-shoot SLR photography
The K110D offers the Pentax-developed Auto Picture Mode, which automatically and instantly selects one of the five Picture modes - including Portrait, Landscape and Macro - by calculating various factors to assure optimum results. Since this advanced shooting mode takes away all the concerns about aperture, shutter-speed, white-balance, saturation, contrast and sharpness settings, the photographer can concentrate on image composition and timing.
5. Auto sensitivity control up to 3200 standard output sensitivity
The K110D features an auto sensitivity control function, which automatically sets the optimum standard output sensitivity - up to 3200, which is the highest automatic setting in its class - based on such data as the subject's brightness level and the lens' focal length. Since this function allows the use of higher shutter speeds in poor lighting situations (such as indoor sports events and night scenes), it helps the photographer to effectively reduce camera shake and prevent blurred images.
6. AA-battery power supply for easy battery replacement on the road
The K110D is powered by four AA-size batteries - available nearly anywhere in the world - for worry-free battery replacement. It also accepts two CR-V3 lithium batteries.
7. True-to-life, rich-gradation images assured by 6.1 effective megapixels
The K110D features a large, high-performance 23.5mm x 15.7mm CCD as its image sensor, assuring the accurate reproduction of scenes- from images with beautiful out-of-focus backgrounds to those with edge-to-edge sharpness. By combining 6.1 effective megapixels with a high-performance imaging engine and advanced image-processing technologies, the K110D is designed to produce beautiful, true-to-life images that are rich in gradation. What's more, it offers a choice of two finishing touches of "Natural" or "Bright" to create a distinctive atmosphere.
8. Compatibility with existing Pentax interchangeable lenses
The K110D is compatible with all existing Pentax interchangeable lenses - both old and new.** This compatibility lets the photographer use various lenses for the same subject, or select the most appropriate lens for a given situation, assuring the top visual creativity available only through SLR photography.
** Lenses compatible with the K110D are: K-, KA-, KAF- and KAF2-mount lenses; screw-mount lenses (with an adapter); 645-system lenses (with an adapter); and 67-system lenses (with an adapter). Certain lenses may lose part of their functions.
9. Super-compact, ultra-lightweight body, with outstanding rigidity
While the K110D is designed to be compact and lightweight to enhance operability and portability, it also incorporates a newly developed stainless-steel chassis and a fiber-reinforced engineering plastic housing to reinforce its overall rigidity and durability.
10. Other Features
- High-speed shutter unit, with a top speed of 1/4000 second
- High-speed continuous shooting, up to five images (at "Best" image quality in JPEG format) at the speed of approx. 2.8 images per second
- Eight distinctive Scene modes to accommodate specific subjects/applications
- 19 custom functions to personalize camera operations
- SD memory card compatibility
- Choice of two preview functions (digital/optical)
- Storage of recorded images in day-by-day files on an SD memory card
- Choice of 16-segment multi-pattern metering, center-weighted metering and spot metering to accommodate various photographic applications
- Noise reduction mechanism to reduce digital noise during extended exposures>
- USB 2.0 (HI-SPEED) compatibility for speedy data transfer to PC
- Choice of image format between JPEG (Best, Better or Good) and RAW
- Five digital filters (Black-and-white, Sepia, Slim, Soft and Brightness) for easy editing of recorded images
- PictBridge compatibility
- Standard software package, featuring Pentax Photo Laboratory 3 RAW data processing software and Pentax Photo Browser 3 image browser software