Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Pentax Optio S4i announced - Convenient digital compact with performance way beyond its dimensions
Ultra-compact, refined design
- Employs a multi-chip module system.
- And an innovative Sliding Lens system that retracts to be flush with the body of the camera.
- The result is exceptionally compact dimensions of just 83 x 52 x 20.5mm (W x H x D).
- Attractive aluminium alloy that offers a sense of sophistication.
- Its bold and straight lines serve to communicate sheer, expressive functionality.
- Easily worn about the neck or slipped in the pocket.
High-quality smc Pentax lens offering 3X zoom
- Features a lens from the smc Pentax series a line-up renowned throughout the world for sheer imaging excellence.
- 3X optical zoom with a focal range covering angles of view equivalent to those of a 35-105mm lens in 35mm format delivers freedom to zoom in and out.
- All 5 groups of 6 elements are crafted entirely from glass, with two lenses crafted to be aspherical on each side.
- 3X optical zoom can also be augmented with 4X digital zoom, for a total zoom capability to an impressive 12X.
4.0 effective megapixel clarity
- The power of 4.0 effective megapixels achieves superior clarity that extends from macro shooting to the capture of expansive landscapes.
- A primary colour filter and advanced imaging technologies, bring out brighter, more natural colours and achieve a significant enhancement in general image quality.
- Exceptional user-friendly operability is achieved largely through use of advanced processing circuitry and an innovative software algorithm elements which work hand in hand to take responsiveness to a new level and support a shutter release time lag of a mere 0.01 seconds*.
- Independent buttons are at hand to allow easy access to frequently used shooting and playback functions.
- Enables rapid selection from a range of simple shooting mode.
- Also offers the further advantage of allowing functional customization to suit different needs, enabling the user to gain access to their favourite capabilities with maximum convenience in minimal time.
*Time taken from the moment when the shutter release is fully depressed following focus lock to the moment the shutter opens, when the flash is switched off.
Handy LCD monitor
- The 1.8-inch LCD monitor that offers an approximate 100% field of view makes composition exceptionally easy.
- Its also exceptionally useful for the viewing of recorded shots on the spot.
- To recharge a camera is easy. All you have to do is simply set the camera in the compact, lightweight recharge unit.
- The unit can also be used to recharge the lithium-ion battery alone.
Green mode allows you to simply press the shutter button to achieve stunning shots, while the camera automatically takes care of all the necessary settings.
Quick button Should the user decide to exit the menu screen and move into simple shooting, all they have to do is press the Quick button and theyre instantly taken back to Green mode. The Quick button can also be configured to take the user direct to t he Shooting mode screen, White balance, Mode memory, Trimming, Resizing, other menus, and even sub menus should the user desire.
A selection of versatile shooting modes The Shooting mode screen offers a graphic display of all the following 21 shooting modes on the LCD. The user to select the most appropriate and leave exposure, white balance and other settings to the camera.
1. Program Allows you to take control over a combination of functions at once.
2. Night scene Captures the mood of evening and night scenes in a faithful manner. It is also handy when shooting subjects with dark backgrounds.
3. Movie Allows you to record video with sound to the full capacity of available memory at 15 frames per second with the definition of 320 x 240 pixels. Video files are also recorded in AVI format, making it easy to play them back on a PC*.
4. Panorama Assist When a scene is too big to fit in one shot, it allows a series of shots to be taken horizontally or vertically following the cameras simple guidance, which can then be aligned and combine with ease on a PC through use of the included software.
5. 3D image Two shots can be taken following the cameras guidance, printed out with postcard dimensions, and then looked at through the optionally available viewer for a real 3D effect.
6. Landscape mode Specifically designed to make the most of the green and blue of scenic shots.
7. Flower mode Specially designed to bring out all their vivid colour and detail.
8. Portrait mode Successfully captures skin tones in a more faithful manner for more flattering results.
9. Self-portrait mode Simply select this handy mode, point the camera at yourself, and shoot. Your shots will come out satisfying crisp despite the close nature of the composition.
10. Surf & Snow mode Simply select this mode and the highly reflective nature of snow or water will present no problem.
11. Autumn Colour mode Makes the most of reds, browns, and other colours associated with the season.
12. Sunset mode Designed to capture the warmth and splendour of sunrise and sunset scene.
13. Museum Ideally suited to photographing exhibits in museums, achieving optimal exposure while ensuring the flash doesnt fire.
14. Text Allows documents, notes or other written material to be photographed with maximum legibility.
15. Food Achieve natural colour, convey convincing texture, and communicate the real freshness of food.
16. Soft Adds an effect so that the subject appears soft for flattering portraits or to convey a sense of the romantic.
17. Posterisation Makes recorded images appear as if they were drawn.
18. Digital Filters Choose black and white or sepia shooting for a marked difference in style, or choose from a range of colours (red, pink, yellow, green, blue, and purple). A special Slim filter is also available that makes subjects appear more slender or broader and can be adjusted to different degree.
19. USER Enables a combination of preferred settings to be saved for easy access whenever desired.
20. Marine Ensures the optimal reproduction of natural colours when shooting underwater. *When the camera is housed in the optionally available waterproof case
21. Marine movie Allows the recording of soundless movies underwater that retain natural colours. *When the camera is housed in the optionally available waterproof case
Voice recording mode The OptioS4i also has audio recording capability that rivals many standalone devices. This can be incredibly handy in a wide range of situations, offers index ability, and can be used to record audio to the capacity of the available memory.
PictBridge compatibility The OptioS4i supports PictBridge, a new direct-print standard released by CIPA (Camera and Imaging Products Association). This advance allows the OptioS4i to be connected to a printer that supports PictBridge directly via USB cable for control over printing, resizing, trimming, digital filters, and other functions without the need for a PC.
Other handy features
- USB mass storage class compatibility
- Exclusive ACDSee for Pentax for easy graphic conversion, album creation, etc. included
- Built-in auto flash
- Optical viewfinder
- Nine-image and Zoom display
- Convenient self-timer
- Continuous shooting
- Fast forward movie
- Macro mode, Infinity-landscape mode
- Manual focus
- Options for autofocus (Spot AF, 7-point autofocus)
- White balance settings
- Histogram display
- Multiple choices for metering (Multi-segment metering, centre-weighted metering, and spot metering)
- A variety of sensitivity
- Exposure compensation
- Settings for sharpness, saturation, and contrast
- Image protection
- Mode memory function
- World time function
- Alarm function
- DPOF compatibility
- Exif Print and PRINT Image Matching II* compatibility
- Approximately 10MB of built-in memory
- SD memory card compatibility
- Resize function
- Voice memo function
- Av (video/audio) output terminal
- Operation in 9 languages
- Waterproof case (O-WP2) For depths of up to 40m
- AC adapter kit
- 3D image viewer
- Remote control unit
Available April with a guide price of 330
Available April with a guide price of 330