Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
To the beach - Pentax announce the release of a new underwater camera - just in time for your summer holiday.
Pentax have today announced the release of the Optio W60 compact digital camera. The W60 boasts improved underwater performance that enables it to operate at depths of four metres for up to two hours. It has also been dust and sand proofed to a certified JIS Class 5 Standard and can operate in temperatures as cold as -10°C, making it the ideal choice for both winter and summer holidays, as well as water and extreme sports.
One of the lightest waterproof cameras ever developed, it features a 10Mp sensor for exceptionally sharp images. It has also been fitted with a newly developed 28mm wide angle lens, which incorporates an impressive 5x optical zoom. The lens, designed specifically for the Optio W60, covers a focal range from 5mm to 25mm (approximately 28mm to 140mm in 35mm format) and features a refraction lens system so the lens never protrudes from the body while zooming. This flexibility enables the user to capture a wide variety of scenes, including expansive landscapes, architecture, and crystal clear telephoto shots.
In addition, the Optio W60 boasts enhanced video capabilities and can capture movies at resolutions as high as 1280 x 720 pixels, which is comparable to High Definition TV. The movie function also incorporates Pentax's Movie SR (Shake Reduction) technology, which automatically corrects camera shake, and has been optimised for use underwater with the Underwater Movie Mode, which makes use of specific settings for shooting.
The Optio W60's Face Recognition AF & AE function has also been improved to deliver beautiful portrait shots from a single setting. The W60 can now automatically set the focus and exposure, so that it can detect up to 32 faces at one time - all in as little as 0.03s. This is complimented by a SmileCapture mode, which waits until the subject is smiling before releasing the shutter, and Blinking Detection, which alerts the photographer if the subject blinked at the point of capture.
The camera also features advanced Auto Picture which automatically selects the optimal scene mode from seven different options - Flower, Sport, Night Landscape, Portrait, Night Scene, and Standard modes. It also has a highly sensitive Digital SR (Shake Reduction) mode, which compen sates for camera shake and subject blurring during still-image photography. This mode automatically adjusts the sensitivity, up to a maximum of ISO6400, in keeping with the subject's brightness, to permit a fast enough shutter speed to capture a sharp, clear image. In addition, an electric shake reduction function corrects blurring in images during image playback.
Finally, the 2.5in high-resolution (approximately 230,000 dots) LCD monitor is finished with an AR (Anti-Reflection) coating that cuts glare from reflections of external light while being bright enough to be viewed easily even in bright sunlight. The monitor's wide viewing angle - about 170° both horizontally and vertically - means photographers can conveniently check their shot from nearly any angle.
- Macro mode can be used as close as one centimeter away from a subject for stunning close-up shots
- Digital wide function merges two shots into one image for ultra-wide-angle expressions equivalent to a focal length of approx. 21mm in 35mm format
- Our proprietary SP (Super Protect) coating adds superior water repellency to the lens's front protective glass to prevent water droplets from forming
- Optional Optio W60 Skin O-CC812 (sold separately) guards the camera from scratches and dirt
- Panorama mode stitches a series of up to three shots into one wide photo
- Intelligent zoom function extends the zoom range without compromising the optical zoom's image quality
- Supports SD memory cards and SDHC memory cards
- Approximately 36.4Mb of built-in memory
- Frame composite function allows photographers to shoot and create images with decorative frames; 80 styles to choose from
- Date and Time imprint function for easy image categorizing
- Includes the ACDSee for Pentax 3.0 image viewer/image management software, that supports Windows Vista
- Supports PictBridge, DPOF functions, Exif Print, and PRINT Image Matching
The Optio W60 compact digital camera will be available early August and is priced at £229. For more information please visit the Pentax website.
PENTAX RICOH IMAGING UK LTD
Tel: 0870 736 8299
View PENTAX RICOH IMAGING UK LTD's directory listing.