Pentax are pleased to announce the launch of the Pentax Optio W90 digital compact camera. In addition to its upgraded waterproof, dustproof and shockproof capabilities, this heavy-duty model provides the new Digital Microscope mode, which allows for a closer look at small but intriguing subjects in outdoor shooting.
1. Enhanced waterproof and shockproof performance
By further enhancing the air tightness of the camera body, Pentax has upgraded the Optio W90’s underwater picture-taking performance to six metres (compared to five metres for its predecessor) and for up to two hours of continuous operation. Along with its outstanding IPX8 (or JIS Class 8) waterproof performance, the Optio W90 also offers exceptional shockproof capacity to withstand a fall from a height of 1.2 meters (one metre for its predecessor) without damage to the body, thanks to its new body design and refined internal mechanisms. In addition to these characteristics, the Optio W90 comes with remarkable dustproof performance equivalent to IP6X (or JIS Class 6) and exceptional coldproof performance for reliable operation at temperatures as low as –10°C, making it a perfect choice for active photographers who venture to shoot pictures in demanding outdoor conditions.
2. Digital Microscope mode for nature observation from 1cm away
Combining a macro shooting capability from one centimetre away with the Digital Zoom function, the Optio W90’s new Digital Microscope mode delivers a magnified view of miniscule subjects difficult to observe closely with the naked eye, and makes it possible to capture fine-detailed images of such subjects. Thanks to three LED Macro Light installed on the face of the lens barrel, the subject is clearly and brightly displayed on the LCD monitor even when the camera is held at a distance at which it casts a shadow on the subject. This mode not only comes in handy when observing the wonders of nature and photographing such subjects as leaf veins and tiny insects, but also opens the door to new discoveries and unexpected surprises in the ordinary subjects found in daily life.
3. Upgraded face detection to detect even the faces of dogs and cats
The Optio W90 features a new-generation Face Detection AF & AE function, which instantly and accurately detects up to 32 faces in the image field, then catches them in sharp focus and optimum exposure in just 0.03 seconds. In addition to popular features such as the innovative Small Face filter, this upgraded version is programmed to detect not only human faces, but also the faces of dogs and cats. When the user selects pre-registered dog or cat faces (up to 3 choices), the camera automatically detects them and optimises focus and exposure. The user can even program the camera to automatically release the shutter the moment the subject’s face turns straight toward the camera. These features make it simple and effortless to capture the delightful faces of active pets.
4. High-quality, HD-proportioned movie recording
The Optio W90 captures beautiful, flawless movie clips at 16:9 high-definition TV proportions (1280 x 720 pixels) at a frame rate of 30 frames per second. This mode also offers a variety of editing functions: Still images can be extracted from movie clips; title images can be added to the beginning and/or end of a movie clip; and more. The Optio W90 also provides an HDMI micro terminal for audio/video signal output.
5. Extra-wide 2.7-inch LCD monitor for effortless outdoor viewing
On the back of its small body, the Optio W90 features a large 2.7-inch high-brightness colour LCD monitor with approximately 230,000 dots and horizontally extended 16:9 proportions. This monitor is treated with a special AR (Anti-Reflection) coating to cut the glare of external light and minimise annoying reflections, making it easy to view recorded images and on-screen menus even in bright sunlight.
6. High image quality
Combining approximately 12.1 effective megapixels with the Pentax-developed imaging engine and the high-performance Pentax zoom lens, the Optio W90 delivers brilliant, high-quality images with well-defined details. Even when images are enlarged to larger sizes, the user is assured of sharp, high-resolution prints with edge-to-edge sharpness.
7. Optical 5X zoom lens with a 28mm wide-angle coverage
Despite its compact dimensions, the Optio W90 features an optical 5X zoom lens covering focal lengths from 5mm to 25mm (equivalent in the 35mm format to approximately 28mm wide angle to 140mm telephoto). Thanks to this wide zoom range, the Optio W90 can be used for a wide variety of subjects and scenes, from spectacular landscape and group shots to tightly framed snapshots taken from a distance.
8. Triple anti-shake protection to prevent different types of camera shake
9. Subscreen Input function for constant display of a favourite image on the screen
- Pixel Track SR - When recording still images, the Optio W90’s Pixel Track SR (Shake Reduction) effectively compensates for camera shake by processing affected images.
- High-Sensitivity anti-shake mode - When the Optio W90 detects low-lighting conditions in still-image shooting, it automatically raises its sensitivity to as high as ISO 6400, making it possible to use a higher shutter speed. This effectively minimises the adverse effects of camera shake and subject shake under poor lighting conditions.
- Movie SR - During movie recording, the Optio W90 prevents blurry images by effectively minimising annoying camera shake through the use of exclusive software.
Thanks to its large, horizontally extended LCD monitor, the Optio W90 offers the innovative Subscreen Input function. This allows the user to display a thumbnail of a recorded image in the upper left corner of the LCD panel, so it can be used as a reference. This comes in handy when the photographer wants to shoot subjects from the same angle and at the same image size every time (such as photographing prepared food in the same way to compile a recipe file), or when the user wants to constantly keep a favourite image on the screen.
10. Other features
- Carabiner strap included for hooking the camera to a backpack or other outdoor gear
- Remote Control Waterproof O-RC1 (available as an optional accessory) for wireless remote shooting
- Waterproof housing down to 60 metres, available in June 2010 (available as an optional accessory) to enable the divers to go even deeper than 6 metres
- New Collage function to compose a single picture from multiple images
- New Ink Rubbing filter to create a monochromatic, high-contrast image from a recorded image
- Auto Picture mode to automatically select one of the eight shooting modes for the optimum result
- 12 digital filters to add distinctive visual effects to recorded images
- Digital Wide function to compose an extra-wide-angle image (equivalent to an image taken with an approx. 21mm lens in 35mm format) from two images
- MediaImpression 2.0 for Pentax image viewing, editing and filing software included (compatible with latest operation systems, such as Windows 7 and Mac OS X 10.6)
- Compatibility with Eye-Fi wireless LAN SD memory cards.
Planned Launched Date: End of March 2010 - Recommended Retail Price: £269.99 For more info, please visit the Pentax UK