Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
New waterproof camera from Pentax - Pentax Optio WS80, a lightweight, waterproof digital compact camera with underwater-shooting capabilities.
Pentax are pleased to announce the launch of the Pentax Optio WS80 digital compact camera. Within its compact frame, the Optio WS80 offers a number of advanced, user-friendly features including 10 effective Mps; 5X optical zoom lens; a large 2.7 n LCD monitor; HDTV-proportioned movie recording; and a state-of-the-art face recognition function. The combination of a compact, lightweight body and outstanding waterproof (Up to two hours underwater at a depth of 1.5 metres) and dustproof capabilities makes the new Optio WS80 an ideal choice for day-to-day use as well as the perfect choice for holiday makers.
Main Features of the Pentax Optio WS80:
- Exceptional waterproof performance for worry-free underwater shooting - Despite its compact, palm-sized body, the Optio WS80 assures reliable waterproof performance conforming to IPX 8 (or JIS Class 8) standards, allowing underwater photography at a depth of 1.5 metres for up to two hours continuously. It also has highly water-repellent protect coating on the protective glass element installed at the front end of the zoom lens. As a result, the Optio WS80 can be simply rinsed clean with fresh water if it becomes covered with dirt or sand. Coupled with remarkable dustproof capabilities equivalent to JIS Class 6, the Optio WS80 can be used without worry in many different situations where water or dirt can be a major concern, including water and winter sports.
- High-speed Face Recognition, with a range of user-friendly features - The Optio WS80’s advanced face recognition AF & AE function comes in handy for casual shooting of people. This user-friendly function not only captures 32 faces in sharp focus and perfect exposure in a mere 0.03 seconds, but can even accurately detect a subject standing diagonally to the camera, or one with a tilted head. The Optio WS80 also offers other user-friendly features, including its smile capture mode, which automatically releases the shutter the moment the camera detects the subject’s smile; and the blink detection function.
- High-performance optical 5X zoom lens - Despite its compact dimensions, the Optio WS80 features an optical 5X zoom lens covering focal lengths from 35mm to 175mm in the 35mm format. It also offers the Intelligent Zoom function, which extends the zoom range up to approximately 28.5 times.
- Triple anti-shake protection to prevent different types of camera shake - When shooting still images or recording movies on land or underwater the Optio WS80’s new Digital SR (Shake Reduction) mode effectively compensates for camera shake by processing affected images with Pentax exclusive software.
- High-quality HDTV-proportioned movie recording - The Optio WS80 captures beautiful, flawless movie clips at 16:9 high-definition TV proportions (1280 x 720 pixels)*** at a frame rate of 30 frames per second. *** When the Optio WS80’s AV output terminal is used, movie clips are output as normal image-size data. If the user wishes to play back movie clips at high-definition-TV proportions (1280 x 720 pixels), the data must be transferred to a personal computer for playback.
- High-quality images delivered by 10.0 effective megapixels - Combining approximately 10.0 effective megapixels with the PENTAX-developed imaging engine and high-performance PENTAX zoom lens, the Optio WS80 allows the user to produce brilliant, high-resolution prints with edge-to-edge sharpness, even when images are enlarged.
- Large 2.7in LCD monitor for effortless image viewing - Despite its compact body, the Optio WS80 features a large 2.7in high-brightness color LCD monitor.
- Interval shooting mode, convenient for fixed-point observation of starry skies, flowers and plants.
- High-speed AF system, with Auto-Tracking function, to maintain constant focus on a moving subject.
- Auto Picture mode, to automatically select one of the eight shooting modes for optimum results.
- A variety of digital filters, including Toy Camera and Retro, to add distinctive visual effects to recorded images.
- D-Range setting, to prevent whitewashed (overexposed) and blacked-out (underexposed) areas in images.
- Digital Wide function, to create a panoramic, extra-wide-angle image (equivalent to an image taken with an approx. 25.4mm lens in 35mm format) from two images.
- Digital Panorama mode, to create a single panoramic picture from as many as three images.
- Style Watch function, to display the time with pushbutton operation, even when the camera’s power is turned off.
- Image recovery function, to recover accidentally erased images.
- Frame composite function (with 90 frames stored in the camera) to shoot or compose images with decorative photo frames.