Prime lenses from the team who turned digital cinema on it's head

Prime lenses from the team who turned digital cinema on it's head - RED have been teasing users once again with details of lenses appearing in the forums.

Category : Industry News

RED's forum users were given another treat when Jim Jannard revealed a set of prime lenses.

Jim said: “It started with the RED 18-85mm T2.9 zoom. Our Professional series lenses and accessories should begin rolling out in force the next few months in support of the RED ONE and in anticipation of Scarlet & EPIC.”

The lenses mentioned in the post were: 18-85mm zoom T2.9, 300mm T2.9, 100mm T1.9, 85mm T1.9, 50mm T1.9, 35mm T1.9 and a 25mm T1.9.

The bench testing is beyond our widest dreams,” said Jim. “ As you know, we have lots of lenses here for testing. These new primes outperform them all... especially wide open... and it isn't close.”

Jim said RED have more work to do now and that more details will be revealed down the road.

Comments

riprap007 10 1.6k 37 England
10 Mar 2009 1:28PM
sounds like an excellent range, Red make excellent and (relatively) cheap cams, so I look forward to what these are intended to be attached to!

walkerr 11
11 Mar 2009 9:05AM
RED's entry into the DSLR market is interesting for sure - but forgive me if I still remain a little sceptical about whether they'll become a mass market player. I'm not sure Canon or Nikon will give up that easily, and as I've said before, they have the advantage of a customer base already committed to their lens systems.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a cheap alternative offering very high image quality, but good lenses to go with it will never be cheap - and what do I do with all my Canon glass?
MattGrayson 7 622 3 England
11 Mar 2009 9:20AM
sell it so you can afford the accessories? Wink
walkerr 11
12 Mar 2009 9:33AM
Haha - nice!

Don't get me wrong, I'm watching this development area with great interest and I might even go for one if the price:quality ratio is right.

It's a tough call though - as the other option I'm considering is a 5D Mk II - which will work with all my current L lenses. It's a big leap for me to consider replacing all that glass. Cost aside, I'd also have to be convinced this is a platform that will be around for years to come. Given the current economy, that's not just down to how good the RED technology is.
riprap007 10 1.6k 37 England
13 Mar 2009 5:52PM
of course the quality will be right, but it will be priced as such!
paulashby 6 10 1 United Kingdom
26 Mar 2009 1:18PM
I thought Red had enabled you to use Canon and Nikon lenses with their new camera's boy's
MattGrayson 7 622 3 England
16 Apr 2009 12:58PM
I heard that too, but it seems they've either changed their mind or it may come as a multiple fit?