Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
RED DSMC camera given price tag - Death to the DSLR? With a $28,000 price tag...maybe not!
|RED's pre-production camera.|
There's no release date yet, but from what Jim Jannard the founder of Red Digital Cinema Company said in the RED forums, the $28,000 EPIC-X will come first. The EPIC-X will be released in four stages, beginning with a pre-production model called Tattoo.
In the RED Forums, Jim said the EPIC-X will feature:
- New MYSTERIUM-X 5K sensor
- 5K (2:1) at 1-100fps
- 4K (2:1) at 1-125fps
- Quad HD at 1-120fps
- 3K (2:1) at 1-160fps
- 2K (2:1) at 1-250fps
- 1080P (scaled from full frame) at 1-60fps
- Increased Dynamic Range, reduced noise
- Time Lapse, Frame Ramping
- REDCODE 250
- ISO 200-8000
- New FLUT Color Science
- Completely Modular System, each Module individually upgradeable
- Independent Stills and Motion Modes (both record full resolution REDCODE RAW)
- 5 Axis Adjustable Sensor Plate
- Multiple Recording Media Options (Compact Flash, 1.8in SSD, RED Drives, RED RAM)
- Wireless REDMOTE control
- Touchscreen LCD control option
- Bomb-EVF, RED-EVF and RED-LCD compatible
- Multiple User Control Buttons
- Interchangeable Lens mounts including focus and iris control of electronic RED, Canon and Nikon lenses (along with Zoom data)
- “Touch Focus Tracking” with electronic lens mounts and RED Touchscreen LCDs
- LDS and /i Data enabled PL Mount
- Rollover Battery Power
- Independent LUTs on Monitor Outputs
- Independent Frame Guides and Menu overlays on Monitor Outputs
- Monitor Ports support both LCD and EVF
- True Shutter Sync In/Out and Strobe Sync Out
- 720P, 1080P and 2K monitoring support
- Gigagbit Network interface and 802.11 Wireless interface
- 3 Axis internal motion sensor, built in GPS receiver
- Enhanced Metadata
- Full size connectors on Pro I/O Module. AES Digital Audio input, single and dual link HD-SDI
- Support for RED, most Arri 19mm, Studio 15mm, 15mm Lite, Panavision and NATO accessories
- Dimensions- Approx. 4x4inx5.5in
- Weight (Brain only)- Approx. 6 lbs (2.72kg)
RED's other camera, the Scarlet 2/3in doesn't have a price or release date but here are some of the camera's features:
- Increased REDCODE data rates
- New FLUT Color, Gamma and Sensitivity Science. Now same as EPIC.
- More extensive modular system integration.
- Interchangeable Lens mounts including focus and iris control of electronic RED, Canon and Nikon lenses, along with Zoom data (Scarlet 2/3" Interchangeable)
- "Touch Focus Tracking" with electronic lens mounts and RED touchscreen LCD's (Scarlet 2/3in Interchangeable and 8x Fixed)
- Two independent microphone level channels, balanced input circuits, 48V Phantom Power, digitized at 24-bit 48KHz.
- GigaBit Ethernet port
- Scaled 1080P at 60fps
So, do you still think RED can change the DSLR industry forever? Let us know your thoughts.