|RED's pre-production camera.
The specification and price of RED's Digital Still and Motion Camera
has been released.
There's no release date yet, but from what Jim Jannard the founder of Red Digital Cinema Company said in the RED forums
, the $28,000 EPIC-X will come first. The EPIC-X will be released in four stages, beginning with a pre-production model called Tattoo.
In the RED Forums, Jim said the EPIC-X will feature:
- New MYSTERIUM-X 5K sensor
- 5K (2:1) at 1-100fps
- 4K (2:1) at 1-125fps
- Quad HD at 1-120fps
- 3K (2:1) at 1-160fps
- 2K (2:1) at 1-250fps
- 1080P (scaled from full frame) at 1-60fps
- Increased Dynamic Range, reduced noise
- Time Lapse, Frame Ramping
- REDCODE 250
- ISO 200-8000
- New FLUT Color Science
- Completely Modular System, each Module individually upgradeable
- Independent Stills and Motion Modes (both record full resolution REDCODE RAW)
- 5 Axis Adjustable Sensor Plate
- Multiple Recording Media Options (Compact Flash, 1.8in SSD, RED Drives, RED RAM)
- Wireless REDMOTE control
- Touchscreen LCD control option
- Bomb-EVF, RED-EVF and RED-LCD compatible
- Multiple User Control Buttons
- Interchangeable Lens mounts including focus and iris control of electronic RED, Canon and Nikon lenses (along with Zoom data)
- “Touch Focus Tracking” with electronic lens mounts and RED Touchscreen LCDs
- LDS and /i Data enabled PL Mount
- Rollover Battery Power
- Independent LUTs on Monitor Outputs
- Independent Frame Guides and Menu overlays on Monitor Outputs
- Monitor Ports support both LCD and EVF
- True Shutter Sync In/Out and Strobe Sync Out
- 720P, 1080P and 2K monitoring support
- Gigagbit Network interface and 802.11 Wireless interface
- 3 Axis internal motion sensor, built in GPS receiver
- Enhanced Metadata
- Full size connectors on Pro I/O Module. AES Digital Audio input, single and dual link HD-SDI
- Support for RED, most Arri 19mm, Studio 15mm, 15mm Lite, Panavision and NATO accessories
- Dimensions- Approx. 4x4inx5.5in
- Weight (Brain only)- Approx. 6 lbs (2.72kg)
RED's other camera, the Scarlet 2/3in doesn't have a price or release date but here are some of the camera's features:
- Increased REDCODE data rates
- New FLUT Color, Gamma and Sensitivity Science. Now same as EPIC.
- More extensive modular system integration.
- Interchangeable Lens mounts including focus and iris control of electronic RED, Canon and Nikon lenses, along with Zoom data (Scarlet 2/3" Interchangeable)
- "Touch Focus Tracking" with electronic lens mounts and RED touchscreen LCD's (Scarlet 2/3in Interchangeable and 8x Fixed)
- Two independent microphone level channels, balanced input circuits, 48V Phantom Power, digitized at 24-bit 48KHz.
- GigaBit Ethernet port
- Scaled 1080P at 60fps
So, do you still think RED can change the DSLR industry forever? Let us know your thoughts.