Ricoh Buy Hoya-Pentax's Imaging Division

Ricoh Buy Hoya-Pentax's Imaging Division - Ricoh are set to buy Hoya / Pentax and take over the camera division to use the Pentax name for Ricoh's cameras, dramatically expanding Ricoh's digital camera business. (Update 05 July 2011)

Category : Digital Cameras

Pentax K5

Ricoh are set to buy Hoya / Pentax and take over the camera division to use the Pentax name for Ricoh's cameras. This will dramatically expand Ricoh's digital camera business, into new areas such as Digital SLRs, and Medium format. The sale includes Hoya's Pentax Imaging System Business which includes all optical instruments such as digital camera, lenses, accessories, security cameras, and binoculars. More information is available on the Pentax website.

Jonathan Martin, General Manager, Pentax Imaging Systems UK said: “Ricoh is globally renowned within the digital camera industry, having successfully brought a range of products to market since its inception in 1939.

“We are extremely pleased with today’s announcement and see this as the natural next step in the evolution and continued development of the Pentax brand in the UK and abroad. With Ricoh’s involvement we can continue to grow the Pentax business in the UK and ensure we maintain our commitment to provide our customers with innovative, cutting edge, high quality products to suit all camera users.”

Ricoh's president, Mr Kondoh, has released the following statement:

"We would like to establish a strong business basis in the consumer goods and Digital camera is very important in this context.

We made this decision knowing very well that the business circumstance is extremely tough. It is often said that DSC business cannot be profitable if the unit sales is less than 10 Mio units, but I don’t think so. We would like to produce real value and cultivate and increase the consumers who really love our value (product). We would like to make sure to maintain the price to give the value to the consumers. Ricoh and Pentax can share this policy.

We would like to invest to be able to compete with Nikon and Canon. Rather than short-term synergy, we would like to establish something that contributes to Ricoh’s growth to be competitive worldwide. Some people will think it reckless challenge, but I personally believe that Pentax technology in lens manufacturing, image handling, mechanical designing is at the world class level that we can be proud of."

July 1, 2011 HOYA CORPORATION: Pentax Press Release.

Notice of Sale of the PENTAX Imaging Systems Business

HOYA Corporation (“HOYA”) and Ricoh Company, Ltd. (“Ricoh”) hereby announce that pursuant
to decisions by the President and CEO of HOYA and Representative Director of Ricoh, respectively,
HOYA and Ricoh have executed an agreement as of today to transfer HOYA’s PENTAX Imaging
Systems Business (the business of developing, manufacturing and selling optical instruments such as
digital cameras and replacement lenses, digital camera accessories, security camera-related products,
and binoculars) (the “PENTAX Imaging Systems Business”) to Ricoh. HOYA will effectuate this
transfer by incorporating a new corporation (“NewCo”), cause NewCo to succeed the PENTAX
Imaging Systems Business by way of a corporate split (kyushu bunkatsu) (the “Corporate Split”),
and transfer all shares of NewCo to Ricoh (such split and transfer shall be referred to as the
“Split/Transfer”) as of October 1, 2011 (Estimated).

Prior to the Split/Transfer, HOYA intends to transfer its interests in PENTAX VN CO., Ltd., an
overseas subsidiary of HOYA in relation to the PENTAX Imaging Systems Business, to NewCo.
Please note, that since the Corporate Split is a simplified corporate split (kan-i kyushu bunkatsu),
disclosure items/content have been partially abbreviated.

Further, HOYA will continue to develop its businesses assigned from PENTAX Corporation which
was merged (kyushu gappei) into HOYA on March 31, 2008 other than the PENTAX Imaging
Systems Business, such as its businesses regarding digital camera modules, DVD pickup lenses,
endoscopes, artificial bones, and voice synthesis.

1. Background of the Split/Transfer

HOYA merged (kyushu gappei) with PENTAX Corporation on March 31, 2008, and has developed
the PENTAX Imaging Systems Business assigned from PENTAX Corporation until now. As part
of selecting and focusing its management resources, HOYA has decided to cause NewCo to succeed
the PENTAX Imaging Systems Business via the Corporate Split, transfer the business and shares,
etc. of HOYA’s Imaging Systems business subsidiary to NewCo via a business transfer and
share/interests transfer, and thereafter, transfer all shares of NewCo to Ricoh.

Ricoh’s core business is office solutions focusing on MFPs, Ricoh has also introduced many cameras
to the market since its inception in 1936. Ricoh was one of the first manufacturers to launch digital
cameras in 1995 and Ricoh’s current high-end compact digital cameras are well regarded in the
industry.

Now Ricoh aims to establish a consumer business. As a first step to achieve this goal, Ricoh
strengthens its camera businesses. Ricoh takes it as an indispensable initiative to obtain the small and lightweight interchangeable lens camera technology, lens technology and sales channels held by the Pentax Imaging Systems Division to pave the way for further advancement and innovations in the
digital camera market.

Through this acquisition, Ricoh plans to 1) enhance its digital camera businesses (especially the
interchangeable lens camera market which is expected to grow), 2) create value-added businesses for taken photographs (creation and development of value-added services that encourage seeing, storing and refinishing photographs and utilize photographs as communication tools), and 3) expand to other fields (study of entry into the image archiving business using medium-format digital cameras and enhancement of security-related products)

Comments

cameracat 10 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
1 Jul 2011 11:28AM
Another One Bits The Dust......Grin

RIP Pentax....Sad

Kako 8 140
1 Jul 2011 12:05PM
Can't see Ricoh keeping or extending the DSLR side of the business, although the rest of the compact range and new interchangeable lens compacts will fit well. Hope i'm wrong. If they do scrap the DSLR products, could be some bargains on K-r and K5 as they clear out stock.
joshwa e2
4 600 United Kingdom
1 Jul 2011 12:13PM
The way I read it, is that they plan to continue the Pentax DSLR range - don't see why they would scrap any of it - they want to enter the DSLR/Medium format market.
strawman 10 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
1 Jul 2011 12:22PM
It could be positive. If Richo bought Pentax for the lens mount then they will want to bring out cameras etc so it could be good for Pentax. Possibly better than being left under funded. Take Sony when they bought Minolta cameras at least they put the money in to develop new cameras. So if pentax keep their clever engineers and get a decent development budget, this could be a very good thing, in the longer term. But expect to wait @ 3 years to see if the product developments are impacted.
1 Jul 2011 2:08PM
I just knew I should have bought a Nikon or Canon Sad
franken e2
12 3.1k 4 Wales
1 Jul 2011 5:38PM

Quote: I just knew I should have bought a Nikon or Canon Sad

Isn't Nikon owned by Mitsubishi ?

Ken
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
1 Jul 2011 6:04PM
Vince nails it for me...

Another one bites the dust.

Quote: Isn't Nikon owned by Mitsubishi ?

So what - two great names.

Ricoh?

Always was a second-tier brand name - like Cosina... (please note the 'was' - 'stigma' sticks unfortunately. Sad)
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
1 Jul 2011 8:06PM

Quote: Ricoh's roots stretch back to 1936

Really!...

Quote: Asahi Kogaku Goshi Kaisha was founded in November 1919

...and changed it's name to Asahi Optical Co., Ltd in 1938.

The deal is worth 78m... That's all???

Goodbye old friend.

(min-rant over... Bit like Pentax really Sad)
franken e2
12 3.1k 4 Wales
1 Jul 2011 8:15PM
Sad when you think that Pentax invented the first mass produced SLR . The first to use in camera metering. (Spotmatic)

The first Autofocus slr. (Pentax F) Although it bombed!

Interesting to see what happens next?

Ken
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
1 Jul 2011 10:14PM
..and they produced one of the finest SLR's ever produced - the Pentax LX .
cameracat 10 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
2 Jul 2011 12:02PM

Quote: Isn't Nikon owned by Mitsubishi

True but " Mitsubishi " do not have a camera brand of their own, To that end they have left Nikon to run themselves, With no sign of aspirations to replace the Nikon logo.....Grin

Whatever, Mitsubishi own many companies & brands, NEC for example, Who are still NEC...!

The only thing that suprises me is why Ricoh, What ever happened to Samsungs involvement with Pentax, Was this blighted by Pentax buying in " Sony " sensors....LOL....Smile

Bottom line is its a shame, But it seems the way of the world today.....Sad

Buy a Volvo you get a Ford, Buy a Jaguar you get a " Mondeo " ( Not that there is anything wrong with Fords ...Smile ) But the whole concept of brand loyalty for a myriad of reasons, Is now just a questionable excersise based on snobbery in most cases.....Wink
johnriley1uk e2
10 26 4 United Kingdom
2 Jul 2011 2:42PM
Pentax and Ricoh both need to be bigger to expand their production. They have the products but need a step up in terms of volume. I don't see anything so depressing about this news - take it at face value, after all, Ricoh want Pentax expertise to expand into areas they are not in. DSLRs, medium format, excellent ergonomics, style, all sorts of things. They aren't buying it to kill it, why would they?

The arrangement with Samsung was not a buy out in any form, it was an arrangement. There have been arrangements on various products between Pentax and Tokina and Tamron to name just two.
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
2 Jul 2011 3:15PM

Quote: They aren't buying it to kill it, why would they?

No-one is saying that John.

It's as I said, the thought of Pentax being owned by a 'lesser' Company just doesn't sit well with the majority.

Back in the 80's - in the 35m, mainstream Consumer world - it was the 'Big Three' i.e. Pentax, Nikon and Canon.

Something happened along the way in the interim such that we have ended up at this point where a small, lesser-known Company at that time (i.e. when there was 'The Big Three') is now buying Pentax out and that means - effectively - the end of the original Pentax lineage.
2 Jul 2011 10:46PM
I don't know what to make of this. I've stuck with Pentax through some depressing situations over the past few years. I thought they had turned the corner when taken into Hoya and then the 645 coming out. I cannot "read between the lines" on this statement and I'm going to have to consult a friend who is more clued up on the meaning of this (I wish I'd done Semiotics 101!) and more importantly the "Japanese meaning of it"! If I can glean anything further, I'll make a post.
VicBarnes 5 49 2 England
4 Jul 2011 2:25PM
Much of the feedback from you guys is well worth reading. However, a couple of statements need to be corrected.

The Spotmatic wasn't the first to use 'in-camera' metering -- it wasn't even the first camera with through lens metering. Along with a maximum aperture return mirror and a frame winder, the honours for all those innovations has to go to the Topcon R (brand name of Tokyo Optical Company).

I switched from Topcon to Pentax in 1978 when I was told by AICO (importers) that Topcon was stopping camera production and would support professionals for only four years. I bought an MX with a Series One Vivitar zoom and a 5 fps motor drive. I still have that MX and despite the hammering it took from the motor (used every weekend for international motorcycle racing and the IoM TT) it has never been serviced.

Yes, the Pentax LX was a great camera for pros and the equal of the Canon F and Nikon F1 (?). However, in my opinion, the Z1P was probably the best of all pro cameras ! In fact, it seems to have instigated and influenced the design of most of today's digital SLRs. There's a little bit of the Z1P in every digital Pentax I've owned.

Interestingly, Hoya bought Pentax in 2006 at a time when Pentax had quadrupled its profits and when the K100D had been awarded the Japanese industry's Camera of the Year and Product of the Year. Hoya's pledge was to emphasize the pro-end of digital camera production.

The tie-up with Samsung was a software collaboration.

Although I am now retired I still enjoy using my K10D for personal pics. About a year ago I bought my first compact so that I could carry a camera wherever I went. No, it's not a Pentax, it's a (wait for it) Ricoh GX200. Oddly enough, the Ricoh seems to have an identical imaging engine to my K10D. Now, isn't that a surprise...?

VicBarnes
6 Jul 2011 6:19PM
So do I covet and protect all my Pentax items or have faith in Ricoh to actually compete with Nikon and Canon?
I shot Ricoh SLR's for a lot of years with no problem. I still have a couple bodies. I went with Pentax DSLR's because of the lens usability.
7 Jul 2011 2:36PM
Talk about things going round in circles. I can remember when Chinon was the poor man's Pentax, now the Company that owned Chinon has bought into Pentax.

Chris
Bobmackie 12 1 United Kingdom
7 Jul 2011 7:33PM
I had a course from a Ricoh user on SLR cameras and he used Pentax lenses (1996) and I have just "upgraded" to a K20 from my Z1p> Should I now call that a Downgrade. maybe I will get cheaper Ricoh lenses for both. I think that I need to have faith in Pentax and wait for things to improve in a multi faceted company in a time when a lot of companies are going to fail (probably in tje next two years.
jaclegau 4 1 Canada
7 Jul 2011 9:20PM
The market being as it is, if something is dropped, it will probably be the medium format camera line . The point and shoot and the dslr are the cameras that sell. I hope I am wrong.
8 Jul 2011 10:53AM
Having had Pentax Cameras since an SF7 in the 1980's I think all we can do is wait and see what happens in the future. There is really no point in negative speculation, especially as statements from Ricoh and Pentax are both positive about the future of Pentax products. If Ricoh want to enter and develop the DSLR market with a proven quality product, I for one wish them well and look forward to a (hopefully) bright future.
8 Jul 2011 11:12AM
It is a positive move and Pentax will live on helped by Ricoh. Things will only get better.Grin
8 Jul 2011 11:41AM
What a shame I loved the Pentax S1a 35mm film camera back in the 60's. They seemed to lose their way with the digital format in recent years.
KeithOT 8 10 United Kingdom
28 Jul 2011 12:47PM

Quote: Isn't Nikon owned by Mitsubishi

Bottom line is its a shame, But it seems the way of the world today.....Sad

Bit out of date Jaguar Land Rover is now a TATA company & the Ford stuff is vanishing fast.
lf they kill off Pentax..they will be finished in the DSLR market and any goodwill and support from long term customers..and consumers will go the canon/nikon routeSad