Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Ricoh Caplio 300G digital camera available from October - The new Caplio features a water and dust-resistant design
The Caplio 300G is designed for durability and geared towards a wide range of outdoor applications. It affords users JIS protection grade 7-equivalent water resistance and JIS protection grade-6 dust resistance, which make it possible to take pictures in the rain, in sandy, or in dusty environments. It is even possible to wash the camera with water! (The Caplio 300G can take photos underwater, at a depth of one metre or less, for up to 30 minutes.)
The Caplio 300G also shares the same advanced features that made the Caplio RR30 so popular (when released into market last year), including a mere 0.22-second shutter-response time lag and long battery life.
Built to stand up to Outdoor Use
- Water- and dust-resistant, durable, portable, and easy to operate
- Use of a reinforced glass dust protector in front of the lens, and rubber
packing on opening parts and buttons provides JIS protection grade 7-equivalent
water resistance and JIS protection grade-6 dust resistance. The camera can
be washed with water and used in the rain, and is capable of photography in
highly dusty or sandy environments.
- Protection on each side and in key locations provides superb durability.
- The camera uses a sturdy, two-piece strap for hanging the compact, lightweight
body around your neck when walking.
- The large shutter button and switches make the camera easy to use even when wearing gloves.
Ultra-fast Shutter Response
- Superb response: just 0.22 seconds between the time the shutter release
is pressed until exposure begins.
- High-speed processing: Startup takes approximately 2.5 seconds; the shooting interval is approximately 1.5 seconds, normal continuous mode approximately 0.3 seconds; and shot reproduction lag is approximately 0.5 seconds (assuming an image size of 1280x960, taken in normal mode).
Long Operating Time
- Long battery life: Use the optional high-capacity lithium ion battery to
take up to 3,500 continuous shots. Reduce the hassle of changing batteries
in adverse weather conditions .
- No more worries about running out of batteries at a bad time: the camera
also supports readily- available AA batteries (alkaline, nickel, and NiMH).
Get the most out of outdoor use.
- An optional AC adapter is also available for indoor use.
- This is the first water-resistant model with a 3.34 megapixel (effective
3.24 megapixel) built-in CCD.
- Combine the 3x optical zoom and 3.4x digital zoom to enable up to 10.2x zoom photography.
- The built-in high-sensitivity mode provides excellent illumination, even
in dimly lit areas. The Caplio 300G makes it easy to take pictures at night,
indoors, and in other dim environments.
- In addition to the built-in flash, an accessory shoe for an external flash is also available.
Full range of advanced features
- Built-in macro mode allows you to take shots as close as 1 cm (0.4 inches).
Use the built-in flash to take shots as close as 16 cm (6.4 inches). Take
bright, beautiful pictures without overexposed shots.
- It's easy to transfer your pictures to a PC - just connect your camera via
a USB cable. Automatic folder creation, elimination of duplicate images, and
other features make your photo collection easy to organise .
- Six scene modes are provided: Portrait, Sports, Landscape, Nightscape, Text,
and High sensitivity.
- A wide range of continuous shooting modes are available, including M-continuous (Memory Continuous), which can record continuously while the shutter release button is held, then save the two seconds immediately preceding the release of the shutter release into a single file divided into 16 frames; S-continuous (Stream Continuous), which records the two seconds after the shutter release is pressed into 16 frames; and ordinary continuous mode, which takes one shot every 0.3 seconds. These features are very handy for capturing continuous motion, including logging the progress of an experiment.
Caplio 300G optional accessories
- Rechargeable Battery DB-43
- Battery Charger BJ-2
- AC Adapter AC-4a
For further details on the Caplio 300G or any other products in the Ricoh range:
Ricoh UK - EPMMC
Telephone: 0208 2614031 or 0208 2614268
Fax: 0208 7512086
Caplio 300G Specifications
RECORDING FORMAT Still: Compressed: JPEG (Exif 2.2) DCF-compliant*,
Text: TIFF (MMR system, ITU-T.6)
Motion: AVI (Open DML Motion JPEG format-compliant)
COMPRESSION FORMAT Still: JPEG baseline-compliant
Text: MMR system
Motion: JPEG baseline-compliant
VIDEO SIGNAL METHOD NTSC/PAL switchable
RECORDING MEDIUM SD Memory card (3.3V)**/MultiMediaCard
Internal memory (8MB)
CCD 1/2.7-inch CCD (total 3.34 million pixels)
EFFECTIVE PIXEL COUNT 3.24 million
RESOLUTION (pixels) Still: 2048x1536/1280x960/640x480
Motion: 320x240, 160x120
RECORDING MODE Still/Continuous/S-Continuous/M-Continuous/Scene (Portrait, Sports, Landscape, Nightscape, Text, High-sensitivity)/Motion***
PICTURE MODE Fine/Normal
(8MB)**** Still: 2048 X 1536 Fine: 4 pictures/Normal: 8 pictures
1280 X 960 Fine: 8 pictures/Normal: 14 pictures
640 X 480 Normal: 41 pictures
(8MB) Motion: 320 x 240 - 20 seconds
160 x 120 - 70 seconds
DATA RECORDING CAPACITY Still: 2048 X 1536 Fine: approx. 1.12MB/Normal: approx. 568KB
1280 X 960 Fine: approx. 614KB/Normal: approx. 307KB
640 X 480 Normal: approx. 72KB
LENS 6 glass elements in 5 groups; F: 2.6-4.7
ZOOM Optical: 3x zoom f = 5.5-16.5 mm (35-105 mm in 35 mm camera format)
Digital: 3.4x zoom
SHUTTER Still: 8,4,2,1-1/2000sec. (electronic/mechanical shutter)
Motion: 1/30-1/2000sec. (electronic shutter)
SHOOTING RANGE Approx. 30 cm (11.8 in.)-infinity (Macro: 16 cm (6.3 in) to 60 cm (23.6 in) (Tele)/1 cm (0.4in.) - 60 cm (23.6 in.) (Wide))
ISO SENSITIVITY AUTO (equivalent to ISO 125)/ISO 200/ISO 400/ISO 800
OPTICAL VIEWFINDER Real-image
MONITOR DISPLAY 1.6" Translucent Amorphous Silicon TFT LCD (approx. 80,000 pixels)
FLASH AUTO/ON/SLOW SYNCHRO/OFF/RED-EYE REDUCTION
FOCUS AUTO FOCUS/MANUAL FOCUS/FIXED FOCUS (snap/infinity)
EXPOSURE MODE TTL-CCD photometric system (MULTI (256 segments)/CENTREWEIGHT/SPOT/)
EXPOSURE ADJUSTMENT Manual exposure compensation (+/- 2.0 EV in 1/3 EV steps)
WHITE BALANCE AUTO/DAYLIGHT/OVERCAST/TUNGSTEN LIGHT/FLUORESCENT LIGHT/MANUAL (One Push)
SELF TIMER Approx. 10sec./2sec. Delay
INTERVAL SHOOTING 30-sec. to 3-hour intervals
PC INTERFACE USB (pre-installed Windows 98/98SE/2000/Me/XP, Macintosh Mac OS 8.6-9.2.2/MacOS X 10.1.2-10.2 supported)
VIDEO INTERFACE Video Out
BATTERY Dedicated rechargeable battery (option) or AA dry-cell battery (alkaline/nickel/NiMH)
SHOOTING CAPACITY Using DB-43*****: Approx. 3,500 (continuous)/approx. 350 (normal)
Using AA Alkaline Battery******: Approx. 70-80 (normal)
VOLTAGE AC-4a dedicated AC adapter (option); Input: 100-230 V/Output: 3.8 VDC
WATER/DUST RESISTANCE Water resistance: JIS protection grade 7-equivalent; Dust resistance: JIS protection grade 6-equivalent
DIMENSIONS 135 x 66 x 66 mm (W x L x H) (5.3 x 2.6 x 2.6 inches) (excluding projections)
WEIGHT Approx. 310 g (10.9 oz.) without battery, SD memory card, or Carry strap
TEMP. RANGE FOR USE 0 to 40oC (-20 to 60oC when stored)
HUMIDITY RANGE FOR USE No more than 85%