Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Ricoh launch Caplio GX100 - Ricoh have announced the launch of the Caplio GX100 compact digital camera with 24 to 72 mm equivalent wide zoom - a ﬁrst in the digital camera category with a removable electronic viewﬁnder.
The Caplio GX100 is a superior model that achieves high picture quality thanks to the high-speed f/2.5 aperture and high-performance 24 to 72mm wide zoom lens (35mm ﬁlm equivalent), 10.01 megapixel CCD, and Smooth Imaging Engine II packed into a compact body just 25mm thick - a ﬁrst in the digital camera category.
The GX100 is the successor to the popular Caplio GX8 - a highly practical superior model featuring comprehensive manual shooting functions and the expandability to allow system upgrades to meet various applications. This high-performance camera is packed with advanced functions including a 24 to 72mm equivalent high-performance wide zoom lens that can be expanded to even ultra-wide-angle shooting equivalent to 19mm using the optional wide conversion lens, being the ﬁrst digital camera to support a removable electronic viewﬁnder (LCD viewﬁnder), and high image quality thanks to the 10.01 megapixel effective CCD (Caplio GX8: 8.24 megapixel) and popular Smooth Imaging Engine II image processing.
Main features of the new Caplio GX100:
24 to 720mm high-performance wide zoom lens in a compact body.
- The newly developed 24 to 72mm wide zoom lens (35mm ﬁlm equivalent) features a generousconﬁguration of 11 elements in 7 groups, including aspheric surface lenses and high-refractive-index, low-dispersion lenses. This optimal conﬁguration restricts distortion, chromatic aberration, and light falloff at edges for wide-angle operations while delivering aperture light settings from f/2.5(Wide-angle) to f/4.4(Telephoto).
- making it easy to carry and enjoy photography anywhere.The body size of 25mm is the smallest that can accommodate a zoom lens of 24mm or longer.
- The 7 blade iris aperture enables ﬁne tuning and achieves beautiful blurred backgrounds.
- The optional wide conversion lens enables users to shoot 19mm ultra-wide-angle photography (but note a separate optional hood and adaptor set is required).
Removable electronic viewﬁnder
- This is the ﬁrst camera to support a tilted and removable electronic viewﬁnder
- Offers 100% viewﬁnder coverage without parallax and multi information display similar to a LCD monitor.
- Great for photography in bright outdoor environments. Take photographs as though using a conventional ﬁlm camera.
- The electronic viewﬁnder is included in the Caplio GX100 VF KIT.
The 10.01 megapixel CCD combined with an advanced image-processing engine achieves high picture quality with low noise
- The 10.01 megapixel effective CCD combined with the popular unique image-processing engine Smooth Imaging Engine II achieves low noise as well as high picture quality precisely reproducing even details.
Twin dials and other controls offer wide array of functions such as simple manual operations.
- -The Mode Dial on top of the body, the Up-Down Dial at the front of the body, the ADJ lever at the rear of the body and function buttons on the upper part of the body, etc. allow a wide array of manual settings such as aperture-priority AE settings, manual exposure settings, white balance adjustment, and ISO sensitivity selection while holding the camera in one hand.
- Directly select My Settings on the Mode Dial to take photos using the arbitrarily allocated settings.
- New features such as the square mode with a 1:1 aspect ratio and the sepia mode further enhance the range of expression.
Excellent expandability with a broad range of accessories for both exclusive use and general purpose
- The Caplio GX100‘s hot shoe accepts an electronic viewﬁnder, an external ﬂash, or an external viewﬁnder available on the market.
- The optional hood and adaptor allow use of the 19mm wide conversion lens or other 43mm diameter accessories, such as various ﬁlters available on the market.
- An optional cable switch is also available.
- The Caplio GX100 can meet the diverse needs of professional photographers, high-end amateurs and commercial uses.
Wide-view-angle LCD panel
- A crystal-clear 2.5-inch 230,000 LCD panel with a wide 170° view angle.
Powerful macro functions
- -Retaining the conventional popular macro mode that focuses down to 1cm (on the wide side), the Caplio GX100 permits macro photography using the blur effect down to 4cm even on the telephoto side.
power sources: high-capacity rechargeable batteries, AAA
batteries, and AC adaptor
- The Caplio GX100 gets approximately 380 exposures with the included high-capacity rechargeable batteries or approximately 35 exposures using AAA dry batteries. The optional AC adaptor, which is convenient for indoor shooting, can also be used as a third power source.
Images can be captured in various combinations of resolution and compression. RAW compression and RAW with JPEG can be selected for ultimate quality.
- RAW compression and RAW with JPEG can be selected for ultimate quality.
An aspect ratio of 3:2 and 1:1 can be selected
- Ratio of 3:2 is the same aspect ratio as 35mm and most digital SLR‘s that allows images to be printed in standard sizes without cropping.
Vibration Correction function, based on a CCD shift method
- When camera movement from hand shake is detected, the vibration correction system, based on Ricoh’s own CCD shift method, moves the CCD in the opposite direction to make corrective adjustments. This results in the ability to take clear, sharp telephoto shots at high zoom magniﬁcation, macro shots, and indoor shots without the negative effects of blurring.
The GX100 with electronic viewfinder included will be available at the end of April 2007 at £399.99. Accessories include rechargeable Battery DB-60, battery charger BJ-6, lens cap, USB cable, AV cable, handstrap, software CD-Rom and manual.