Ricoh Caplio R3
The Caplio R3's 7.1x optical zoom lens was created by adopting the newly developed Double Retracting Lens System. This is an advance on the highly successful Retracting Lens System, the original lens storage system engineered by Ricoh for its innovative products. The R3's vibration correction function helps to avoid the problem of blurred images caused by hand movement inherent to long focal ranges in telephoto, macro and indoor shots.
The R3's CCD is effective up to 5.13 million square pixels with the Smooth Imaging Engine image processing system and when combined with the vibration correction can produce superior, high-definition images.
In addition to the wide-angle high powered zoom, the new Caplio R3 expands the range of shooting even further with the incorporation of such enhanced features as 1cm macro function - Ricohs specialty - and quick response times. The Caplio R3 is highly versatile and can deliver results in practically any photographic situation, whether its capturing a panoramic landscape in one shot, wide-angle images in a room where everything is very close or the fine details of distant objects.
The R3 includes macro mode, allowing the photographer to take a macro shot of an object from as little as 1cm away. The new zoom macro function automatically sets the focal distance of the lens at the optimum distance for capturing an image of each object as large and close as possible. Using AF Target Selection, it is even possible to focus on objects within the frame without moving the camera. By determining the optimum field of view, taking into consideration such information as the size or contrast of the object, focusing accuracy becomes that much higher when shooting in macro.
An original algorithm automatically detects trapezoids in images and corrects them to rectangles, and images of objects such as blackboards, documents or time schedules shot at any angle can be corrected so that the image looks as though it were shot from the front, making the camera effective in business environments where these kinds of objects cannot be shot from the front.
The Caplio R3 has a release time lag of as fast as 0.09 seconds (approximately) on average, while the time calculated from the instant the focus is locked (half-press) until exposure actually starts is 0.007 seconds on average. The camera also has rapide shooting interval and start-up time, at approximately 0.5 and 1.1 seconds respectively (measured while flash is off). The camera's quick response times allow the user to capture perfect, near-instantaneous moments such as expressions and movement of children or pets.
The Caplio R3 also features a 2.5 inch LCD monitor. During playback 12 pictures can be displayed simultaneously on the LCD screen, which can also be separated into three parts while checking previous and subsequent pictures to allow fast forwarding and rewinding. The brightness of the LCD can be increased to maximum with a single touch and visibility can be adjusted to make it suitable for use in bright conditions.
The design of the Caplio R3 combines functionality and texture with features such as a comfortable grip, easy-to-use controls, high-grade materials, surface finishing to produce an attractive, pocket-sized digital camera with a compact body of 95.0mm x 53.0mm x 26.0mm (W x H x D).
Thanks to the power-saving features of the internal circuit, it is possible to capture up to 310 separate images under CIPA standards using the standard accessory rechargeable battery, even while using the LCD screen.
Ricoh Caplio R3 major specifications:
1) CCD - Effective 5.13 million square pixels (5.25 million pixels), 1/2.5-inch primary color CCD
2) Lens - Focal length f 4.633 (equivalent to 28200 mm for 35 mm cameras. When setting Step Zoom, seven fixed possible steps: 28 mm, 35 mm, 50 mm, 85 mm, 105 mm, 135 mm and 200 mm)
Brightness (F value): F 3.3 (W) 4.8 (T)
3) Zoom - Optical: 7.1x zoom, Digital: 3.6x zoom
4) Object Distance - approx. 0.3 m infinity (Wide), approx. 1.0 m infinity (Telephoto) Macro: approx. 0.01 m infinity (Wide), approx. 0.14 m infinity (Telephoto)
5) Shutter - Still: 8, 4, 2, 1 1/2000 sec. Motion: 1/30 1/2000 sec.
6) Resolution (pixels) - Still: 2592x1944, 2592x1728, 2048x1536, 1280x960, 640x480. Text: 2592x1944, 2048x1536. Motion: 320x240, 160x120
7) Picture Mode F (Fine) / N (Normal)
8) ISO Sensitivity - AUTO / 64, 100, 200, 400, 800
9) Flash - Auto / Red-Eye Reduction / Mandatory Flash / Slow Synchro / Flash Off Flash Range: approx. 0.2 m 2.4 m (Wide), approx. 0.14 m 1.8 m (Telephoto) (ISO: AUTO)
10) Focus - Auto Focus (includes AF auxiliary light) / Manual Focus / Snap / infinity
11) Exposure Adjustment - TTL-CCD method photometric system: Multi (256 segments) / Center weight / Spot
12) Exposure Compensation - Manual Compensation (+2.0 2.0 EV in 1/3 EV steps) / Auto Bracket Function (-0.5 EV 0 EV +0.5 EV)
13) White Balance - Auto / Fixed (Daylight, Overcast, Tungsten light, Tungsten light 2, Fluorescent, Manual)
14) Recording Media - SD Memory Card (3.3 V, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512 MB, 1 GB) / Multi Media Card, Internal Memory (26 MB)
15) Storage Capacity (Time) - (Internal 26 MB Memory) Motion: 1 minute 17 seconds (320x240, 15 frames/second), 4 minutes 38 seconds (160x120, 15 frames/second), 39 seconds (320x240, 30 frames/second), 2 minutes 26 seconds (160x120, 30 frames/second) Sound: 56 minutes 45 seconds
16) Storage Capacity (File Sizes) - Still: 2592x1944 F: approx. 1.83 MB N: approx. 1.06 MB, 2592x1728 F: 1.63 MB, 2048 x 1536 F: approx. 1.31 MB N: approx. 672 KB, 1280 x 960 F: approx. 686 KB N: approx. 356 KB, 640 x 480 N: approx. 83 KB
17) Recording Mode - Still (Continuous, S-Continuous, M-Continuous), Scene Mode (Portrait, Sports, Distant Landscape, Night Scene, Text, High Sensitivity), Motion, Sound
18) Recording Format - Still: Compressed: JPEG (Exif ver. 2.21) DCF*6 compliant, DPOF support
Text: TIFF (MMR system ITU-T.6) Motion: AVI (Open DML Motion JPEG Format compliant)
Sound: WAV (Exif ver.2.21 law)
19) LCD Monitor - 2.5 inch Translucent Amorphous Silicon TFT LCD (approx. 114,000 pixels)
20) Self-Timer - Operating Time: approx. 10 sec. / 2 sec.
21) Interval-Timer - Shooting interval: 5 sec. 3 hours (in 5 sec. Increments)
22) PC Interface - USB 1.1 Choice of Ricoh original or Mass Storage driver
23) AV Interface - Audio Out / Video Out
24) Video Signal Method - NTSC / PAL switchable
25) Dimensions - 95.0 mm (W) x 26.0 mm (D) x 53.0 mm (H) (excluding projections)
26) Weight - Approx. 135 g (without battery, Hand strap), Accessories: approx. 30 g (Rechargeable battery, Hand strap)
27) Battery - Rechargeable Battery (DB-60), AC adaptor (AC-4c, optional accessories)
28) Shooting Capacity - Based on CIPA Standard: using the DB-60, approx. 310 pictures
29) Operating Temperature - 0 40 C