Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Ricoh Caplio R5 - Combining the Caplio R5’s Ricoh-original CCD-shift vibration correction method and brand new image processing engine greatly expands the range of shooting in low light areas producing high quality images at even higher ISO settings with low noise.
Ricoh Co., Ltd. has announced the release of the new Caplio R5 digital camera featuring a 7.1x optical wide zoom lens (28–200 mm in 35 mm camera format), the highest zoom in the compact class.
The new Caplio R5 succeeds the standard setting Caplio R4 with wide angle / high-magnification zoom (open priced, launched March 17, 2006, featuring effective 6.04 megapixel CCD).
With its roots based in the solid features of it’s predecessor, the Caplio R5 has been designed to give even more fun and easy photography. Improvements include employing an effective 7.24 megapixel CCD, and achievement of high-sensitivity photography with low noise and edge to edge picture clarity through the New Smooth Imaging Engine II image processing engine（SEⅡ）
Ricoh has traditionally created feature-rich products under a concept of “broadening the range of photography” and the new Caplio R5 is a product that provides enhanced image quality while taking that concept to a higher level through image processing engine innovations and numerous newly developed functions.
Main features of the new Caplio R5:
- Photography at even higher image quality and zoom
- High image quality CCD with effective 7.24 million
The improved CCD enables even higher quality photographs.
- Reduced noise through the new Smooth Imaging Engine II
image processing engine.
High-level image processing is enabled and images with low noise are produced through the development of a new image processing engine that achieves high-speed processing and a new algorithm that makes the most of the image engine.
- Further noise reduction is achieved with the design of new peripheral CCD circuitry.
- ISO 1600 sensitivity at full resolution is achieved.
- Superior edge to edge picture clarity.
- Improvements in auto-focus, automatic-exposure and
- High image quality CCD with effective 7.24 million pixels.
- 7.1x wide-angle zoom lens (the largest in the
compact class) and vibration correction function in a body only 26 mm
thick and weighing approx. 140 grams.
- The well-received 28-200 mm 7.1x wide-angle zoom lens from the preceding model has been fitted into a body of just 26 mm. The lens supports a wide range of photographic options from panoramic landscapes to wide-angle photography and indoor shooting under low light close to the subject to impressive telephoto photography.
- Furthermore, the Caplio R5 includes an Auto Resize function that automatically changes the image size when shooting at 7M size and zooming in excess of 200 mm optical. This enables high zoom photography of up to 34.1x1 (equivalent to 960 mm) at high image quality without image correction processing.
- Also equipped with general digital zoom.
- Whenever it detects excessive camera motion, the
vibration correction system, based on Ricoh’s own CCD shift
method, moves the CCD in the opposite direction to counterbalance
camera shake. This results in the ability to take clear telephoto shots
at high zoom magnification, macro shots, and indoor shots.
- Further improvements to stress-free response.
- Release time lag (the time from the instant the shutter button is fully pressed—without using focus lock—until exposure actually starts) is as short as approx. 0.09 seconds (with vibration correction off). Quick responses are essential in order to capture picture-perfect and near-instantaneous moments such as the expressions and movement of children or pets. Thus the short time lag means stress-free, near-instantaneous shots.
- Time from depressing the shutter button with focus locked (half-press) until exposure actually starts is a speedy 0.007 seconds.
- Shooting interval (with vibration correction off) and start time are both rapid, at approx. 0.5 and 1.2 seconds, respectively.
- Continuous shooting speed is improved to 2.8
frames/second. In addition, shots can be taken at best image quality
until memory is full. Furthermore, those images shot can be displayed
on the LCD while shooting.
- Large, high-resolution high angle shooting LCD.
- The Caplio R5 has a 2.5-inch LCD with 230,000 pixels compared to 150,000 pixels for the Caplio R4. The brightness of the LCD makes it easier to see outdoors even on sunny days from greater viewing angles.
- Long-life rechargeable battery for approx. 380
shots (standard accessory).
- Thanks to the power-saving features of the internal circuit, the battery has a longer life. This makes it possible to capture approx. 380 images under CIPA standards (approx. 330 pictures for the Caplio R4).
- Powerful macro function—a Ricoh
- The camera’s macro mode allows close in shooting of objects from a wide macro 1 cm to tele macro 14 cm.
- A Zoom Macro function is included to allow use of
digital zooming from the optical zoom position where subjects can be
captured at their largest.
- Your favourite settings in scene modes.
- Up to two setting conditions of your choice can be saved to scene modes with the Personalized Setting function. That allows you to apply your own settings to scene modes to enable easier photography at your favourite settings.
- Enhanced Skew Correction function.
- Through an original algorithm that automatically detects trapezoids in images based on composition when shooting and corrects them to rectangles, images can be corrected to look as though they were shot from the front. The function is most effective in business environments where subjects such as blackboards, overhead projector images, time schedules, and signs cannot be shot from the front.
- The improved function now allows for correction after
the image has been taken in play back mode.
- A portable and beautiful design with an eye to
robustness and quality.
- The design combines functionality and texture with such features as a comfortable grip, easy-to-use controls, high-grade materials, and surface finishing in a compact body of 96 mm (W) x 55 mm (H) x 26 mm (D). With emphasis on robustness and quality, the camera embodies reliability and functionality.