Ricoh have developed and introduced the new Caplio R7 digital camera. With a new image processing engine and a 7.1x optical wide zoom lens (28–200 mm in 35 mm camera format) mounted on a slim body only 20.6 mm at its thinnest point, the Caplio R7 takes digital photography to an even higher level of image quality.
The new Caplio R7 is the successor to the award winning Caplio R6 which earned high recognition for its slim body, wide-angle zoom lens, vibration correction, and face recognition mode.
Retaining the best features of earlier models, the Caplio R7 further enhances the line’s established reputation for high image quality with the introduction of Smooth Imaging Engine III, a new image processing engine capable of even more sophisticated image processing, and an 8.15Mp CCD for outstanding results.
In addition, the Caplio R7 achieves a variety of other evolutionary advances in fun and easy photography with enhanced usability for its unique ADJ. (Adjust) button function, which makes it easy to set exposure compensation and white balance. The introduction of brightness and colour-tone functions allows still image brightness and colour-tone to be adjusted in the camera after the picture is taken.
Main features of the new Caplio R7
1. The introduction of the new image processing engine Smooth Imaging Engine III makes higher-picture-quality photography possible.
- Smooth Imaging Engine III reduces the noise that can occur in high-sensitivity photography, without loss of resolution. As a result, even with high-sensitivity photography, crisp outlines are preserved and clear, non-grainy images are possible.
- Through sophisticated brightness and colour-tone adjustment, natural colours are reproduced that are closer to those seen by the naked eye.
2. The Caplio R7 comes equipped with a new high-resolution 8.15 megapixel CCD.
- An effective 8.15Mp CCD has been included. Working together with the new image processing engine Smooth Imaging Engine III, this new CCD achieves high-quality photography.
3. The Caplio 7 features a 7.1x wide angle zoom lens on a body measuring only 20.6mm at the thinnest point - the slimmest in its class.
- As a result of the adoption of miniaturized components and the original double retracting lens system, Ricoh was able to equip the Caplio R7 with a 28-200mm 7.1x wide-angle zoom lens in a slim 20.6 mm body.
- A wide range of photographic options are supported, from wide-angle photography – for panoramic landscapes and indoor shooting near the subject – all the way to impressive telephoto photography.
4. Enhanced usability when shooting
- ADJ. (Adjust) button increases usability : A cross-key function has been added to the ADJ. (Adjust) button, which makes it easy to switch exposure compensation, white balance, ISO sensitivity, and other settings to reﬂect the preferences of the photographer. As a result, menu operations can be operated quickly and easily with one hand.
- New on screen display: The elegant and functional style of the new on screen display gives a high-quality feel of the Caplio R7 operation. The adoption of a highly readable font and clearer menu tabs makes the Caplio R7 even easier to use.
- Two zoom speed levels: Zoom speed can be switched between the two levels of high speed and low speed to enable the photographer to move quickly and accurately to the desired zoom position.
5. Image editing functions allow for a variety of changes to images after shooting in the camera
- Brightness correction for adjusting image brightness and contrast: With the brightness correction function it is possible to adjust (on a ﬁve-level scale) the brightness and contrast of a still image in the camera and then record the resulting image. In this way, the image as it was intended by the photographer can be recreated in the camera without unwanted black or white saturation.
- Colour tone correction for adjusting image colour tone: With the colour tone correction function it is possible to adjust colour tone by strengthening red or blue tones (on a ﬁve-level scale) of a still image in the camera and then record the resulting image. In this way, the original image shot can be adjusted to better reﬂect the colour tone desired by the photographer.
- Image rotation: Still images in the camera can be rotated 90 degrees and then recorded. (The rotation is only reﬂected when the image is viewed in the camera.)
6. Popular vibration correction function and face recognition mode
- The Caplio R7 contains Ricoh’s original CCD-shift vibration correction function which compensates for camera shake when it is detected.
- Face recognition mode automatically identiﬁes faces in a scene and automatically adjusts the focus, exposure, and white balance for best results.
7. Wide viewing angle, high contrast 2.7in LCD
- The Caplio R7 has an easy-to-see 2.7in LCD with 230,000px. In addition to having a wide viewing angle and high contrast, its colour reproduction is excellent, making it easy to view images during shooting and playback.
8. Powerful macro functions, a Ricoh specialty
- Ricoh’s original macro mode allows close-in shooting of objects as close as 1 cm with wide macro and as close as 25 cm with telemacro. A zoom macro function enables the use of digital zooming from the optical zoom position where subjects can be captured at their largest.
9. Three types of bracketing functions
- The Caplio R7 has three different types of bracketing functions: auto bracketing automatically shoots consecutive shots changing the exposure each time, white balance bracketing automatically shoots consecutive shots changing the white balance each time, and colour bracketing automatically shoots three consecutive shots, a black and white image, a colour image, and a sepia image.