Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Ricoh announce R7 upgrade - Ricoh have announced the release of the Caplio R8, with 10Mp, optical wide-angle zoom and enhanced photography functions.
Ricoh have developed and introduced the new R8 compact digital camera featuring a 7.1x optical wide-angle zoom lens (28–200 mm in 35 mm focal length) and a new high-resolution 10Mp CCD.
The new R8 is the successor model to the Caplio R7 (launched September 14, 2007), which also had a slim body and 7.1x optical wide-angle zoom lens (28–200 mm in 35 mm focal length). By combining a new 10Mp CCD with the earlier model‘s popular Smooth Imaging Engine III image processing engine, the R8 takes high-definition photography to a higher level.
The R8 also offers various other enhanced capabilities for fun and easy photography, such as a large 2.7in, 460,000px HVGA LCD and the same 1:1 aspect square format photography function that has proven extremely popular on Ricoh‘s Caplio GX100 (launched April 2007) and GR Digital II (launched November 2007) models.
In addition to the specification improvements, the R8 has also undergone a complete redesign. This new model combines ease of use and technical specification in a body that is contemporary and stylish and has been designed based on a concept A tool you want to use every day. In creating the R8 as a tool for taking photographs, great care has been given not only to styling and colouring but also to its operability, portability, comfort in hand, and its solid, high-quality feel.
Ricoh Caplio R8 main features:
High-picture quality, low-noise photography is achieved with the high-resolution 10Mp CCD and the Smooth Imaging Engine III image processing engine.
- An effective 10Mp CCD has been newly installed. Working together with the popular image processing engine Smooth Imaging Engine III, this new CCD makes possible high-quality images that have both high-resolution and low noise.
High-resolution 2.7in, 460,000px HVGA LCD
- The new 2.7in, 460,000px high-resolution LCD has a wide viewing angle and high contrast for distinct, easy viewing even outdoors. When thumbnail images are displayed, even the small1/20 size images are clearly reproduced.
Based on the 'A tool you will want to use every day' concept, the R8 has been given a totally new design emphasising its beauty as a tool.
- Styling that intensifies a simple, functional beauty and eliminates design frills. A rubber grip that fits well in the hand and is easy to hold. An easy-to-operate mode dial. The many features of the R8 combine to achieve both functional beauty and ease of use.
- In addition to its compact pocket size, the mounting of two strap eyelets has further increased portability.
- The R8‘s solid, high-quality feel has been further enhanced by the top cover emphasising a solid, metal feel; the lens barrel end and rings finished with metal spin processing, and the spin processed mode dial and release button.
Ricoh‘s original double retracting lens system has made it possible to equip the R8 with a 7.1x wide-angle zoom lens in a compact body with both operability and portability.
- Measuring only 22.6mm at the thinnest point, the slim body features a 7.1x wide-angle zoom lens with a 28–200mm range.
Expanded shooting functions for richly expressive photographs.
(1) Square format photography
- The R8 has a shooting function for an image size aspect ratio of 1:1. This square format photography has proved very popular on Ricoh‘s Caplio GX100 (launched April 2007) and GR Digital II (launched November 22, 2007) models. The resulting composition has quite a different feel from the standard rectangular vertical or horizontal format. This format can also be quite convenient for blog photographs.
(2) Expanded functionality for the ADJ. (Adjust) button
- Already given enhanced usability in the Caplio R7 (launched September 2007), the ADJ. (Adjust) button has further evolved in the R8. Integrating the ADJ. (Adjust) button functions with those previously controlled by the cross-key has made menu operations even faster and simpler.
(3) Fix minimum aperture function provided
- When the fix minimum aperture function is on, shooting is done at the smallest aperture, which gives a deep depth of field in the resulting photograph.
(4) AF/AE Target shift functions provided
- Enhanced capabilities have been given to the AF target shift function which was previously only available for macro photography. While shooting, it is possible to shift the target for AF or AE or both without moving the camera.
(5) Zoom lever usability improved
With zoom lever operation it is possible to switch between two zoom speeds. This enables the full capabilities of the 28–200 mm 7.1x wide-angle zoom lens to be utilised.
Enhanced image editing functions enable images to be manipulated in the camera.
(1) Image brightness and contrast correction (level compensation)
- Still image brightness and contrast can be corrected with either auto or manual modes, with the corrected image being recorded in the camera. With manual correction, the image is corrected by adjusting the histogram.
(2) Image colour tone correction (white balance compensation)
- By adjusting green, magenta, blue, and amber tones, still image colour tone can be corrected, with the corrected image being recorded in the camera.
(3) Trimming of still images
- Still images can be trimmed and the resulting image saved in a separate fi le. This is convenient when doing direct printing with PictBridge, etc.
Vibration correction functions, face recognition mode, and macro functions are provided.
- The R8 contains Ricoh’s original CCD-shift vibration correction function which compensates for camera shake when it is detected. This reduces the blurring that tends to occur in situations such as telephoto and macro photography
- Face recognition mode automatically identifies faces in a scene and optimises focus, exposure, and white balance for the faces.
- Ricoh’s popular and powerful macro functions are included, enabling shooting of objects as close as 1cm with wide macro and as close as 25cm with telemacro.
Rechargeable Battery DB-70 / Battery Charger BJ-7 / USB Cable / AV Cable / Handstrap / Software CD-ROM / Instruction Manuals.
For more information please visit the Ricoh website.