Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Ricoh launch G600 - Ricoh have today launched the new G600 digital camera, a water and dust-resistant compact with 5x zoom and wide angle lens.
Ricoh have today announced the launched the G600, a new water and dust-resistant digital camera which will now be available along with the popular Caplio 500G Wide (launched in May 2006).
The G600 is smaller and lighter yet it still passes Ricoh‘s shock resistance test for a 1.5m fall, a test that conforms to US Department of Defense standards. In addition to the 5x optical wide-angle zoom lens (equivalent to 28-140 mm for a 35 mm camera), the G600 continues to provide the same strong set of features as previous models, such as a 1cm macro function and a ﬂash range of 10m. It is perfect for customers who want to take pictures in a variety of outdoor activities, such as marine sports, mountain climbing, and ﬁshing.
Main features of the new Ricoh G600
1. Superior water and dust resistance plus even greater shock resistance make the G600 ideal for hard outdoor use.
- A shock resistant structure and stronger camera cone create a robust body able to withstand falls from 1.5m onto 26 surfaces, in compliance with US Department of Defense MIL Standard 810F (previous models withstood 1.0m). The G600 is able to cope with rough handling outdoors.
- The G600 boasts the same impressive water resistance as its predecessor’s, surpassing JIS protection grade seven performance. Besides taking pictures in the rain, it can even take pictures underwater at depths of up to about 1m.
- Dust resistance satisﬁes JIS protection grade 6. Pictures can be taken in environments, such as the seashore, where there are high concentrations of sand or dust.
- The well thought out design and positioning of the large buttons make operation easy even with gloves on, such as while skiing.
2. Powerful ﬂash with effective range of up to 10m and ISO3200 sensitivity for low-light photography.
- The ﬂash has an effective range of up to 10 m for wide-angle and 6.5m for telephoto.
- The new ISO3200 capability expands the range of scenes that can be photographed (previous model‘s maximum sensitivity was ISO1600).
- There is also an accessory shoe where an external ﬂash can be attached.
3. Large 2.7in picture display.
- A large, high-deﬁnition 2.7in picture display is included. This enables accurate photography by making the picture display easier to see outdoors.
- A light sensor has been installed so that picture display brightness can be automatically adjusted based on ambient light level.
4. Compact and lightweight body that can be carried in a breast pocket.
- Compact body size of 116.5mm (W) × 68.0mm (H) × 32.0 mm (D). Light weight of 260 g (Previous model dimensions 133.05mm (W) × 78.5mm (H) × 74.0mm (D); weight approx. 400g.
- The ﬂat design uses a non-protruding inner-zoom lens so that the lens does not extend out from the body regardless of whether the power is on or off.
- A neck strap attachment to the camera body means that as well as horizontal suspension, vertical suspension is now possible, making it easy to store the camera in a shirt or jacket breast pocket while the strap is still around your neck.
5. A 28-140mm wide-zoom lens on a water and dust-resistant digital camera.
- The wide-zoom lens, equivalent to 28-140mm, has been popular on other models.
- It can cover the whole of a large building and frame group pictures well in conﬁned areas, and the 5x optical zoom can reach subjects it is not possible to shoot from close by.
- For even wider shots, there is an optional wide conversion lens equivalent to 22mm.
- Size 37mm ﬁlters can also be attached.
6. Popular features from other models have been incorporated into the G600.
- The large-capacity lithium ion battery provided with the camera gives long battery life for approximately 360 shots (CIPA standard). If the battery runs out, readily available AAA size batteries can be used instead. An optional AC adapter can be used indoors, so three different power sources are available.
- Macro mode gets as close as 1cm from the subject.
- When the camera is connected to a personal computer via a USB cable, it is recognized as an external storage device, so images in the camera can be transferred to the computer without using special software. Full, automatic transfer is also available with the special software.
- The high-quality CCD has an effective 10Mp.
- Skew correction mode can modify photographs taken at an angle so that they look as if they were shot from the front. This is a powerful tool for various situations, such as images shot for message boards and display panels.
- The G600 is compliant with the PictBridge standard that allows direct connection to a printer without routing through a personal computer. More diverse printing is possible, such as printing on forms registered in the printer, when connected to Ricoh’s high-speed colour laser printers and MFP.
- An edit check function detects for image data tampering. This increases the reliability of the data when digital photographic images are submitted as corroborative evidence.
Rechargeable Battery DB-60 / Battery Charger BJ-6 / USB Cable / Neck strap
The Ricoh G600 will be available from May 2008 at £349.99 inc VAT. For more information please visit the Ricoh website.