Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Firmware update for Ricoh GXR range - Ricoh release the second function enhancing firmware update for GXR.
Ricoh have released the second function-enhancing firmware update on October 27th, 2010 for its GXR range of high-performance compact digital cameras which were initially released in December 2009.
With the GXR system, the lens, image sensor, and image processing engine are all mounted within the camera unit instead of the body, creating a ground-breaking interchangeable unit system that utilizes a slide mechanism for attachment and removal.
Ricoh’s function enhancing firmware updates are developed in response to opinions and requests received from a large number of customers via surveys submitted at customer registration time and other channels. This second update enables customers who already own a GXR to update their firmware to include the latest functions, thus making it possible for them to enhance the performance and usability of their cameras by adding new function and setting possibilities.
The function-enhancing firmware and instructions for using these functions can be downloaded free of charge from the Ricoh website.
- Addition of Screen Magnification Position Movement when shooting - The magnification position of the shooting screen display can now be moved together with the AF/AE target movement or macro target movement. Supported in both auto focus and manual focus modes. (Macro target movement is only supported on units equipped with macro mode.)
- Addition of 3 handy magnification ratios for the focus check function - You can select the magnification ratio from 2:1, 4:1, and 8:1 in the shooting screen. Additionally, you can register the magnification function to the Fn1 or Fn2 key.
- Addition of spot AF, macro AF area selection - You can choose from normal or pinpoint AF area size when Spot AF is selected or when shooting in macro mode. (Only spot AF is available when GR LENS A12 50mm F2.5 MACRO or GR LENS A12 28mm F2.5 is used.)
- Addition of ADJ key and Fn key registration function when changing the aspect ratio - You can now register the aspect ratio change function to the ADJ, Fn1 and Fn2 keys.
- Addition of key custom setting initialization function - Key custom settings can be returned to their initial values.
- Addition of My Setting delete function - You can return the registered settings in the My Settings BOX and mode dial to the initial values.
- Addition of Shutter half-press confirm function in the DIRECT screen - You can confirm setting changes in the DIRECT screen by half-pressing the shutter.
- Exif2.3 support - Exif2.3 is now supported.
- Addition of Noise Reduction AUTO - You can now automatically adjust the noise reduction effects on the camera using the AUTO function.
- Macro AF Distance Limitation - When macro shooting using the GR LENS A12 50mm F2.5 Macro, you can now select the shooting distance (distance within which the auto focus can focus) from 7-14cm or 12-30cm to provide overlapping distance ranges.
- AF Acceleration - The autofocus control drive system has been improved and accelerated. In association with this change, the AF mode (QK-AF and FR-AF selection mode) in the set up menu has been deleted. (When GR LENS A12 50mm F2.5 MACRO is used).