With their compact bodies and a diverse range of design, mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras have been evolving in their own unique way. To achieve a lens system corresponding to the cameras of the new era – shaped by such thoughts, the high- performance standard lens for mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras offers Sigma’s original innovation in a form that is more polished and refined than ever before. In order to maximize performance of mirrorless cameras, advanced optical technology such as the high-quality double-sided aspherical lens is used to achieve expressive performance worthy of Sigma’s Art line. It is an ideal lens for casual snaps as well as portraits.
The high-performance standard telephoto lens has an angle of view equivalent to 60mm on the Micro Four Thirds system and 45mm on the E-mount system (35mm equivalent focal length). Designed with a focus on power distribution, the lens ensures exceptional image quality. With excellent mobility, it is ideal for casual snaps as well as portraits. Currently comprising the SIGMA 19mm F2.8 DN wide-angle lens, the SIGMA 30mm F2.8 DN standard lens and the SIGMA 60mm F2.8 DN mid-range telephoto lens are expanding photographers’ high-performance options for mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras.
The simple shape of the focus ring, varying textures that distinguish each part of the lens, the use of metal on almost all external areas of the lens, the unibody design of the hood—all of these elements add up to a lens design that is ideal for mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras. In addition, photographers have the choice of black or silver to match their favourite equipment.
This high-performance lens is inspired by the optical design of the SIGMA DP2 Merrill, the high image quality compact digital camera incorporating the 46 megapixel Foveon X3 direct image sensor. This lens features two glass mould aspherical lenses including the high-quality double-sided aspherical lens, providing excellent correction for distortion and other types of aberration. The inner focusing system corrects the fluctuation of aberration to maintain image quality regardless of the focusing position.
This lens benefits from a linear AF motor which moves the lens unit directly without the need for gears or other extra mechanical parts. This system ensures accurate and quiet autofocusing, making the lens excellent for both recording video and taking still photos.
The minimum focusing distance of 30cm
- The maximum magnification is 1:8.1.
Incorporating Rounded diaphragm
- The 7 blade rounded diaphragm creates an attractive round bokeh at large-aperture settings.
Brass made bayonet mount
- This lens incorporates a brass made bayonet mount which has both high accuracy and durability. A special treatment to reinforce its strength is applied to the surface giving it greater strength and making it highly resistant to long-term use.
Evaluation with Sigma’s own MTF measuring system “A1”
- We used to measure lens performance with an MTF measuring system using conventional sensors. However, we've now developed our own proprietary MTF (modulation transfer function) measuring system (A1) using Foveon 46-megapixel direct image sensors. Previously undetectable high-frequency details are now within the scope of our quality control inspections. The SIGMA 30mm F2.8 DN will all be checked using this “A1” before they are shipped.
“Made in Japan”
- All Sigma's manufacturing right down to moulds and parts is carried out under an integrated production system. We are now one of the very few manufacturers whose products are solely “made in Japan”. We like to think our products are somehow imbued with the essence of our homeland, blessed as it is with clean air and water, and focused, hard-working people. We pride ourselves on the authentic quality of Sigma products, born of a marriage between highly attuned expertise and intelligent, advanced technology. Our sophisticated products have satisfied professionals and lovers of photography all over the world, because our manufacturing is based on genuine craftsmanship, underpinned by the passion and pride of our experts.
The lens will cost £189.99, and be available from late march 2013 in Micro Four Thirds and Sony E mount. For more information, visit the Sigma website