Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Sigma announce 46Mp SD1 - Sigma flagship digital SLR with 46 megapixel Foveon X3 sensor.
UPDATE: The suggested retail price of the SD1 is £6,199.99 including VAT (£5,166.66 excluding VAT).
The Sigma Corporation is pleased to announce the new SIGMA SD1 Digital SLR Camera, incorporating a 46 megapixel 24×16mm APS-C X3 direct image sensor. The SIGMA SD1 is Sigma’s flagship digital SLR model, adopting a lightweight yet solid magnesium alloy for its body and O-ring sealing connections to make a weather-resistant design throughout for use in harsh conditions.
The SIGMA SD1 incorporates a 24×16mm APS-C X3 direct image sensor and dual “TRUE (Three-layer Responsive Ultimate Engine) II” image processing engines. The combination of the 46 megapixel sensor and dual TRUE II processing engines ensure the high resolution images are processed quickly with high definition and smooth and subtle graduation of colour. The SD1 is SIGMA’s latest digital SLR camera which meets high requirements of professional and enthusiast photographers for all types of photography.
- 46 megapixel 24×16mm APS-C X3 Full-colour image sensor - The 46 megapixel (4,800×3,200×3 layers) 24×16mm APS-C X3 direct image sensor featured in the Sigma SD1 captures all primary RGB colours at each and every pixel location, ensuring the capture of full and complete colour. Using three silicon-embedded layers of photo detectors, stacked vertically to take advantage of silicon’s ability to absorb red, green and blue light at different respective depths, it efficiently reproduces colour more accurately, and offers sharper resolution, pixel for pixel, than any conventional image sensor. Since colour moiré is not generated, the use of a low-pass filter is not required, meaning light and colour, generated by the 46 megapixel APS-C X3 direct image sensor, is captured with a three-dimensional feel.
- Dual TRUE II image processing engine - The SD1 incorporates a dual “TRUE (Three-layer Responsive Ultimate Engine) II” image processing engine which improves the processing speed and overall quality of the final image. The unique image-processing algorithm provides high resolution power and reproduces high definition images with richly graduated tones.
- CF card - The SD1 adopts the TYPE I CF Card. This camera is compatible with UDMA Mode6, enabling fast processing of large amounts of data.
- 11 point twin cross sensor - The autofocus system features an 11 point twin cross sensor. The shifted twin cross type sensor improves AF accuracy.
- Magnesium body - The Sigma SD1 adopts a lightweight yet solid magnesium alloy body designed to withstand rough use and shocks in harsh conditions.
- Weather-resistant design - Buttons and connections benefit from O-ring sealings to prevent dust and water getting inside the camera body.
- Large, highly visible 3.0” TFT colour LCD Monitor - The SD1 camera features a 3.0 inch TFT colour monitor. This 460,000 pixel resolution LCD monitor benefits from a wide viewing angle, making it easy to check focusing and composition.
- Optional lenses - The SD1 can be used with over 40 Sigma lenses such as ultra-wide, ultra-telephoto, macro and fisheyes which adopt the latest technology such as FLD and SLD glass, Aspherical lenses, Sigma’s unique Optical Stabiliser function, Hyper Sonic Motor and Sigma’s Super Multi Layer Coating. They meet the various and demanding requirements of all types of photographers.
|Format||Interchangeable lens SLR camera|
|Storage Media||Compact Flash (Type I, UDMA compatible)|
|Image Sensor Size||24×16mm|
|Lens Mount||SIGMA SA bayonet mount|
|Compatible Lenses||SIGMA SA mount interchangeable lenses|
|Angle of View||Equivalent to approx. 1.5 times the focal length of the lens (for 35mm cameras)|
|Image Sensor||X3 direct image sensor (CMOS)|
|Effective Pixels||46MP (4,800×3,200×3 layers)|
|Viewfinder Type||Pentaprism SLR viewfinder|
|Viewfinder Frame Coverage||98% vertical, 98% horizontal|
|Viewfinder Magnification||0.95x (50mmF1.4 - ∞)|
|Diopter Adjustment Range||-3.0 dpt - +1.5 dpt|
|Auto Focus Type||TTL phase difference detection system|
|AF Point||11 points twin cross sensor|
|AF Operating Range||EV -2 to +19 (ISO100)|
|Focus Mode||Single AF, Continuous AF (with AF motion prediction function), Manual|
|Focusing Screen||Fixed, all matt screen|
|Depth of Field Preview||Depth of field preview button|
|AF Point Selection||Automatic Selection, Manual Selection|
|Active AF point indicator||Superimposed in viewfinder|
|Focus Lock||Shutter Release Halfway-Down position|
|Built-in Flash||Manual Pop-up Built-in flash, GN11 (17mm lens angle covered)|
|Flash Metering System||S-TTL Auto Flash|
|Flash Compensation||±3EV (1/3 stop increments)|
|Compatible Flashguns||EF-610 DG SUPER, EF-610 DG ST, EM-140DG|
|Flash Connectivity||Hot shoe (contact X synchronization at 1/180 sec. or less, with dedicated flash linking contact)|
|LCD Monitor||Type : TFT colour LCD monitor, Monitor Size : 3.0", LCD Pixels : Approx. 460,000|
|Dimensions||145.5 mm/5.7" (W) × 112.5 mm/4.4"(H) × 80.0 mm/3.1"|
For more information please visit the Sigma SD1 website.