Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Pentax Imaging Systems is pleased to announce the launch of the smc Pentax-D FA645 25mm f/4 AL[IF] SDM AW.
Developed as the second model in the Pentax-D FA645 lens series, this unifocal, ultra-wide-angle lens not only features Pentax-original optics optimised for high-quality digital photography to ensure exceptional image-description performance, but also offers a dependable dust-proof, weather-resistant construction for active outdoor photographers.
1. The first unifocal, ultra-wide-angle lens for the Pentax 645D
When mounted on the Pentax 645D camera body, this ultra-wide-angle lens offers a focal length of 19.5mm in the 35mm format (or 15.5mm when mounted on a Pentax 645-format film SLR camera body), providing the widest perspective of all Pentax 645 interchangeable lenses.
Creating visual effects unique to ultra-wide-angle lenses — such as exaggerated perspective and extra-wide depth of field — the new lens can be effectively used for a wide range of subjects and situations, including spectacular landscapes and indoor shooting in confined spaces.
2. State-of-the-art optics to accommodate the needs of super-high-resolution, medium-format digital SLR photography
Incorporating two high-performance aspherical optical elements within its optics, this ultra-wide-angle lens provides exceptional image-resolving power with outstanding brightness levels even at the edges. All while compensating various aberrations to a minimum.
3. Aero Bright Coating to dramatically improve image definition with backlighting
The lens is treated with Pentax’s own Aero Bright Coating, which delivers brilliant, high-quality images by preventing annoying flare and ghost images more effectively than ever before. Born out of Pentax’s advanced nanotechnology, this exclusive coating effectively reduces lens reflectance and greatly increases light transmittance by forming a silica aerogel layer with uniform pores on the surface of optical elements. In addition, anti-reflection materials have also been applied to the interior of the lens barrel. The result is a lens that can bring out the full potential of the Pentax 645D medium-format digital SLR camera.
4. Dependable dustproof, weather-resistant construction
As the newest model of the dependable “AW” (All Weather) series, the new lens features a highly dependable dustproof, weather-resistant construction with 11 special seals to effectively prevent the intrusion of dust and water into the lens interior. By coupling this lens with the Pentax 645D camera body, the user is assured a durable, reliable digital imaging system that performs superbly in demanding outdoor settings — even in rain or mist, or at locations prone to water splashes or spray.
5. Mountable Circular Polarizing Filter
The lens features a built-in, pull-out-type filter holder in its barrel. By placing the C-PL (circular polarizing) filter (40.5mm in diameter; included as an exclusive accessory) on this holder, the user can easily rotate the filter to obtain the desired polarizing effect.
6. Smooth, quiet SDM autofocus operation
Featuring an advanced SDM (Supersonic Direct-drive Motor) autofocus mechanism employing a supersonic motor installed inside the lens barrel, the lens provides a smooth, quiet autofocus operation.*
* Manual-focus operation only when the lens is mounted on the Pentax 645N or PENTAX 645N II camera body.
7. Other features
- Image circle covering all of the image area of 645-format film SLR cameras
- High-quality machined aluminum parts, including the lens barrel, hood and cap
- Quick-Shift Focus system for instant switching to manual-focus operation, after the subject is captured in focus by the AF system
- Rounded diaphragm to produce a smooth, beautiful “bokeh” (out-of-focus rendition), while minimizing the streaking effect of point light sources
- SP (Super Protect) coating applied to the front surface of the lens to effectively repel dust, water and grease