Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
The Sony Alpha a99 is designed to provide the Best IQ: with an Exmor full frame 24.3 megapixel CMOS sensor, new optical low-pass filter, ISO100-25600 (expandable), High speed front end, area specific noise reduction, 200,000 shutter life cycle, 6fps burst shooting, BIONZ processor.
It is designed to be leading edge, with high reliability, and features fully fledged Sony movie recording with Full HD at 60,50,25,24 fps.
Sony Alpha a99 Key Features:
- Exmor CMOS sensor, 24.3mp, the new sensor has been developed with light-concentration technology, photo diode expansion technology for larger photo diodes on the sensor, a multi-segment optical low pass filter (new) - Sony has been challenged previously regarding noise performance at ISO1600 and above in the past in full frame cameras and this has been designed to resolve this.
- BIONZ new (high end front end LSI), 14 bit RAW, area specific noise reduction,
- World's first dual AF system, phase detection af sensor (above mirror) 19-point af, also 102-point focal plane phase detection sensor. 3 dimensional AF tracking
- AF-D mode (depth mapping, using both AF module for excellent AF tracking), AF range control, (put in place a range using the dial. can set the distance the camera will focus).
- XGA OLED viewfinder (2369k dots, peaking function, colour temp adjustment, focus magnifier) same as NEX-7, NEX-6, A77, A65, improved optical elements since A77. Digital level guage
- Magnesium alloy body, light, 733g, lightest full frame camera - lighter than Canon EOS 5D Mark III, Nikon D800, Sony Alpha A900
- Quick Navi pro - gives access to frequently used features, dual slot SD + MS as well as another SD slot.
- Movie: developed with Sony's broadcasting team, full HD 60p recording, full time continuous AF movie, PASM manual movie upgraded
- Sound: audio level display and rec level control, silent multi controller in front of the camera (makes no noise) full HD movie output via HDMI, with shooting info on/off, (simultaneous full HD to screen and other screen)
- 3inch 921k screen, 3-way tiltable, white magic screen
- 410 shot battery life
Sony Alpha A99 Specifications
|CCD pixels||24.3Mp (Megapixels)|
|Sensor Type||Exmor CMOS|
|Sensor Size (width)||35.8mm|
|Sensor Size (height)||23.9mm|
|Screen resolution||1,228,800 dots|
|Shutter speeds shortest||1/8000sec|
|Shutter speeds longest||30sec|
|ISO sensitivity||50 - 25600|
|Optical Zoom with Video||Yes|
|Battery Type||Rechargeable battery pack NP-FM500H|
|Box Contents||No Data|