Sony SLT-A77 and SLT-A65 Digital Cameras

Sony SLT-A77 and SLT-A65 Digital Cameras - A77 and A65 cameras from Sony with 24.3 megapixels and world's fatest 12 fps AF-enabled continuous shooting.

Category : Digital SLRs
Product : Sony Alpha SLT-A77
Price : £695

Words by Emma kay

sony-a77-front-angle-1650-lens
Sony A77

Sony has announced the release of two new cameras, the SLT-A77 and the SLT-A65.

These cameras boast 24.3 megapixels and the world's fastest 12 FPS AF enabled continuous shooting.

Part of its pioneering translucent mirror range, these cameras are aimed at advanced amateurs and serious photo enthusiasts.

Both cameras feature a brand new Exmor APS HD CMOS sensor with an amazing 24.3 megapixels. They also feature a massive ISO range, from 100 - 16,000.

sony-a65-front-angle-1855-lens
Sony A65

These cameras also have the world's first XGE OLED Tru-Finder electronic view finder. This showcases the world's finest viewfinder image, with an amazing 2359k dot (XGA) resolution.

Both also feature quick HD movie modes, supported at 50p, another breakthrough for consumer oriented APS-C cameras.

Do you have a question about the new camera?

Sony's photography expert Paul Genge will be holding a live Q&A session at 7.30pm tonight on Facebook. Paul will be able to answer any questions you have about the new α77, α65, NEX-7, and NEX-5N cameras which launched today. You can join the chat here: Sony UK.

Key Features:

• World’s fastest 12 fps full-resolution continuous burst shooting with phase-detection AF (α65: 10fps)
  • Newly developed 19-point AF system with 11 cross sensors (α77)
  • 24.3 effective megapixel Exmor APS HD CMOS Sensor and enhanced BIONZ processor
  • World’s first XGA OLED Tru-Finder with versatile information display
  • Quick AF Full HD Movie with AVCHD Progressive compatibility, and flexible P/A/S/M exposure control in manual focus mode
  • New design and ergonomics with world’s first 3-way tilt Xtra Fine LCD and ruggedized, reliable handling (α77)
The Sony A77 with 16-50mm lens has an RRP of £1600 and A65 with 18-55mm lens has an RRP of £850.

Sony Alpha SLT-A77 Photos of Equipment

• JPG
  • RAW + JPG
Power Source
Battery TypeNP-FM500H
CIPA Rating470
Box Contents
Box ContentsSony Alpha SLT-A77V Body, DT 16-50 f/2.8 SSM Lens, Lens Hood, Lithium Ion Battery, Battery Charger, USB Cable, CD-ROM, Shoulder Strap
Dimensions

• JPG
  • RAW + JPG
Power Source
Battery TypeNP-FM500H
CIPA Rating510
Box Contents
Box ContentsBattery charger, rechargeable battery pack, USB cable, CD-ROM, shoulder strap, standard zoom lens. 94 page printed manual.
Dimensions
Weight543g
Width132.1mm
Height97.5mm
Depth80.7mm

View Full Product Details

Photographs taken using the Sony Alpha SLT-A77

Caribou Grazing in Dry ConditionsNorwegian InletBud just bursting openWaiting for the stormMoose's WorldHeading South (Vapourer Moth Caterpillar)eskaIncy Wincy SPiderYacht at PlocktonSunlit Sea and Skye BridgeStairs To InfinityGarden FrogUn-namedOtter FamilyKinghorn Trawlers

Comments

dwilkin e2
7 24.2k United Kingdom
24 Aug 2011 10:29AM
OK - The A77 just shot to the very top of my shopping list!

davey_griffo 5 213 165 England
24 Aug 2011 12:50PM
Hmmm, I reserve judgement on that.

What I want to know, & no review for any of Sony's SLTs has touched it yet, is how you're supposed to clean the sensor with a mirror in the way.

Also, can the mirror be replaced if it gets scratched, or are you spending more time in PS cloning that out as well as the dust spots?

And what about manual focus on the LCD viewfinder? I had a Fujifilm S6500, & when you turned the focus ring in manual mode, the centre shot up to a greatly magnified view, then down again immediately you stopped. Very disorienting, & not terribly useful.

I love my Sony SLR, but I remain sceptical of this whole fixed mirror thing.
24 Aug 2011 1:51PM
more interesting to me as a nikon d300 user is, what magic nikon can perform on this sensor.
Looks fantastic on paper....#1 question - image quality? 24.7MP on an APS-C could make it prone to noise, and course you'll ned to add to the price another 1000 for a lens capable of resolving that many pixels
joshwa e2
3 596 United Kingdom
24 Aug 2011 3:24PM
The mirror can be flipped up. There is a small catch at the bottom of the camera, press it, the mirror pops up allowing you to clean the sensor. Then the mirror can be lowered when you've finished. (You can see it in the updated A65 product pics).
JJGEE 9 6.2k 18 England
24 Aug 2011 4:50PM

Quote: The mirror can be flipped up. There is a small catch at the bottom of the camera, press it, the mirror pops up allowing you to clean the sensor.

Surely they could have done better than that !!

Like, selecting "Cleaning Mode" flips the mirror up automatically

And surely Park Cameras have made a mistake, got the A77 body listed at 559 !!
Niknut e2
4 481 60 United Kingdom
24 Aug 2011 4:57PM
A77 ?....yummy, want !....the first 3 50p coins have gone into my piggy-bank....only 3197
more to go !!!!!!!
JohnAR 4
24 Aug 2011 5:16PM
Niknut, good luck with that, my jar gets raided by the kids weekly. I have my plans and dreams for new gear, but for now that's what they will have to stay, Plans and dreams......
dwilkin e2
7 24.2k United Kingdom
24 Aug 2011 8:32PM
Yep - I think the barclaycard may be in for a bit of a spanking, come October!

Quote: And surely Park Cameras have made a mistake, got the A77 body listed at 559 !!

They have - that's the A55 spec under the A77 heading...
AlanWillis 5 63 England
24 Aug 2011 9:57PM
I hope to have a A77 soon, With my 300MM, it should do the bis.
My A850 may gather dust? Looks like I may have to update my kingfisher book.
The A77 does sound very good 'on paper', but why oh why oh why are we STILL waiting for a market leading Professional model? Time to give Nikon and Canon a run for their money? Anyone good any reliable news on this?
IanT51 2 New Zealand
26 Aug 2011 4:35AM
And I've just bought an A55 !!( it hasn't even arrrived yet!)SadSad
JJGEE 9 6.2k 18 England
26 Aug 2011 8:20AM
I note that UK prices have been announced 1149.99 for the body.
JohnAR 4
26 Aug 2011 4:53PM
AlanWillis 5 63 England
27 Aug 2011 12:08AM

Quote: Http://www.quesabesde.com/noticias/Sony-A77,1_7902
Some sample images from the A77

Many thanks for this link.The pictures with the 300MM lens are very good.
With object tracking and 15fps I'm hoping to get good inflight kingfisher pictures.
most of my pictures are taken with the 300MM 2.8.
When I added my A850. I stopped using my A700. I think when the A77 arrives I will still use the A850. I expect to have the A77 quite soon and will be happy to show the results.
1 Sep 2011 12:15PM
Think I will pass on this beast. Will save up for the Canon 5D3 so I can use my current lens lineup. IMO 24MP on a cropped sensor is stretching it
AlanWillis 5 63 England
1 Sep 2011 10:10PM
I've put up my first A77 pic today. Getting used to the camera,
will try to post a pic every day. mainly kingfishers.
Put my A850 FF in the cupboard.