Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
World Photography Festival - Sony World Photography Awards and the World Photography Festival come to London.
|© Artem Yankovsky, courtesy of Sony World Photography Awards 2011.|
The awards will take place during the annual World Photography Festival & Exhibition which is being held at Somerset House from 26 April 2011, with the Festival running to 1 May and the exhibitions through to 22 May. This is the first time that London will host a major international photographic festival, and the programme will be packed with an eclectic mix of events, talks, seminars, workshops and exhibitions of the winning images from the 2011 Sony World Photography Awards. Honorary Judges for the 2011 Awards will be present and participating in the Festival, including Pulitzer prize winning photographer Liu Hueng Shing, world renowned photographer RJ Muna and industry leaders such as Elisabeth Biondi (Visuals Editor, New Yorker) Mike Trow (Photo Editor, British Vogue) and Caprice Horn (Director, Gallerie Caprice Horn).
Following World Photography Festivals in Shanghai in September 2010, San Francisco in November 2010, and Sao Paolo in March 2011, the six day Festival in London is open to everyone with a passion for photography - professionals, amateurs and students and, of course, the photo-loving public.
Astrid Merget, Creative Director, the World Photography Organisation comments: "Throughout the year, we run many international photography events, engaging with thousands of photographers world-wide. Each event culminates in the principal World Photography Festival which we’re thrilled to be holding in London for the first time this year, at Somerset House, and will offer public events, exhibitions and the Sony World Photography Awards. This annual Festival brings together the largest network of global industry leaders and celebrates photography whilst supporting participating photographers."
Gwyn Miles, Director of Somerset House comments: "Somerset House is delighted to be hosting the first ever London-based World Photography Festival, and we are looking forward to working with World Photography Organisation to establish the Festival and Exhibition in the UK. Somerset House is committed to celebrating and showcasing photography in all its different guises, from established photographers to emerging talent and previous photographic exhibitions include Norman Parkinson and Nick Knight. We’re thrilled to be taking part in this prestigious, international event."
Festival programme highlights include:
- In the Photographers’ Studio – A five evening series of intimate conversations with some of the greatest living photographers. Discover the personal journeys that internationally renowned photographers such as Tom Stoddart and Pedro Meyer, have taken through the years, as they converse with other known industry folk such as Jon Jones (Director of Photography for the Sunday Times Magazine) to reveal their stories and showcase both known and unknown work.
- The Sony World Photography Awards 2011 Winners’ Showcase - See hundreds of images on display from the winners and runner-ups of the 2011 Awards programme. Experience a vast collection of international contemporary photography, spanning all genres including Documentary, Sport, Portraiture, Landscape, Fashion and more.
- Intensive workshops covering such topics as book design, photographic curatorship, compiling your portfolio, portraiture photography and merging film with stills.
- Student focused workshops on the business of photography, how to network, how to build a portfolio and creating a unique identity.
- World Photography Seminar Series including a panel debate on the London Photography Scene and a photojournalism roundtable.
- iStockalypse event brought for the first time to London by iStockphoto
- The Save the Children Project
For further details see: Festival Programme.