Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
World Photography Awards Open Winners Announced - Ten extraordinary amateur photographers are announced as the Open category winners of the 2011 Sony World Photography Awards.
|Chan Kwok Hung courtesy of Sony World Photography Awards 2011|
The Open category of the Sony World Photography Awards received 51,000 entries from 148 countries but there could only be ten winners and the lucky ten are:
- Action: Chan Kwok Hung (Hong Kong)
- After Dark: Chumlong Nilkon (Thailand)
- Architecture: Marek Troszczynski (Poland)
- Arts & Culture: Hubert Januar (Indonesia)
- Fashion: Edina Csoboth (Hungary)
- Nature & Wildlife: Andiyan Lutfi (Indonesia)
- Panoramic: Wolfgang Weinhardt (Germany)
- People: Raghuranjan Sarkar (India)
- Smile: Carlos Henrique Reinesch (Brazil)
- Travel: James Chong (Singapore)
Astrid Merget, Creative Director of the World Photography Organisation said: "The calibre and quality of the Open competition was superb this year and often equaled that of the Professional competition. It just goes to show that one can present stunning imagery within a single photograph, just as brilliantly as within a full body of work."
Tatsuya Akashi, Vice President of Digital Imaging at Sony Europe, added: "The rising talent in the Open categories is truly inspiring and we are proud to be able to honour these wonderful photographers with the recognition they deserve and look forward to seeing them continue to grow this passion for years to come."
All the winning images will be exhibited as part of the World Photography Festival at London’s Somerset House from 26 April – 22 May.
Each winner will receive Sony digital SLR camera equipment and their work will be published in the Winner's Book.
For more information please visit the World Photo website.