Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Splash Colors FX is a Mac app which turns your photos to black and white so you highlight certain objects by revealing their original colours. It includes a powerful brush, effects and you can share your finished photos on Facebook, Twitter and Flickr or add them to iPhoto and send them via Mail or Messages. The Splash Colors FX app is available from the Mac App Store for £0.69.
- Reveal original colours of your photos using the brush
- Adjust opacity and blur of the brush strokes
- Choose and adjust effects
- Zoom in or out to paint certain objects precisely
- Increase or decrease the brush size for extra accuracy around the edges
- Invert colours to turn coloured areas into black & white and vice versa
- Drag and drop a wide range of image formats including JPG, PNG, TIFF, GIF and PSD
- Share your work to the most popular social networks
- Print or save edited photos in JPG, PNG, TIFF and BMP formats
- Works with Apple applications
- Drag and drop photos from iPhoto and Aperture straight to the app
- Add edited photos to iPhoto with a single click
- Send photos to your friends via Mail or Messages
Splash Colors FX Mac App Performance
When you open the app you are asked to drag and drop an image into it, this is the only way you can import an image. Once you dragged the image in it is instantly turned black and white. Along the right hand side are all of the editing options available represented by 8 icons.
The first icon is the brush, you can changes its size, blur and opacity or indeed whether it adds colour or grey into the image. The effects are also here, you can change the brightness, contrast, exposure or turn the image sepia. There is a reset button if you decide you don't like the changes you have made. The second button allows you to invert your selection, so the coloured area turns black and white and vice-versa.
The next four are for zooming in and out of your image. One Mac tip you'll want to know is that you can use the scroll wheel on your mouse to move up and down, holding the shift button and scrolling allows you to go sideways. We've mentioned this because when you zoom in to an image there is no scroll bar for either axis so you need to use the scroll wheel.
The seventh icon clears all the brush strokes, but it warns you just in case you accidently hit it. The last icon is the place to go to send your image via email, message, AirDrop, Twitter, Facebook, Flickr or add to iPhoto. To save your image to your Mac, you need to go to the toolbar along the top and select file and save. You can also print from there as well. These are the only options you'd need to go to the toolbar along the top for, it's strange that these options aren't included in the eighth icon area.
In our example image we have coloured back in the yellow taxi to make it stand out.
Splash Colours Fx Screenshot After
Colorstrokes on the iPad and iPhone which is available for Mac. This offers more features, so may be worth the extra expense.
Splash Colors FX Mac App ProsIncludes some very basic image editing options such as brightness and contrast
Easy to use
Good value for money
Splash Colors FX Mac App ConsNo scroll bars when zoomed into an image
Limited set of features, other apps do more
Effects applied to whole image only
|VALUE FOR MONEY|
The Splash Colors FX Mac App is available from the Mac App Store for just £0.69. For more information, please visit the Appsoft Studio website.