Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
A range of Di - Digitally Integrated lenses launched by Tamron with the first two lenses available from the end of June 2003: AF 28-75mm F/2.8 and 180mm Macro F/3.5.
Tamron Di lenses offer superior features and performance - not only for standard, but also for digital SLR cameras. Di lenses feature high resolution performance and incorporate a new sophisticated anti-reflection coating and optical configurations to compensate for internal reflections and ghosting that are attributable to the image sensors themselves. Peripheral light fall-off, which is more likely to be noticeable in images taken with digital cameras, is also reduced.
SP - Super Performance AF 28-75mm F/2.8
Constant maximum aperture throughout the zoom range. The Tamron SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LID Aspherical [IF] MACRO utilizes the same size reduction technology developed for the popular Tamron 28-200mm & 28-300mm Super Zooms. The AF28-75mm is the world's lightest and most compact fast standard zoom lens* . *As of August 31, 2002. Based on Tamron surveys of lenses in the same class. This lens represents the first in a new category - a zoom lens that can be used comfortably as a high quality fast standard lens for silver-halide and digital photography.
- Minimum object distance of just 0.33m throughout zoom range.
- Macro shooting is available with a maximum magnification ratio of 1:3.92.
- Thanks to mechanical innovations that enable a very complex structure to be compressed into a compact barrel, the maximum lens diameter has been downsized to just 73mm.
- Handling is enhanced with the reduction of zoom torque and improved torque fluctuation. Tamron has also implemented advancements in manufacturing technology, enabling the production of lighter, stronger and higher precision parts.
- Convenient zoom lock mechanism keeps the lens retracted when being carried on a camera.
- Flower-shaped hood supplied as a standard accessory with excellent stray-light shielding properties.
- Form and texture that embodies the high performance, high precision qualities of the SP series, and a design to match a new generation of lenses.
- Features two gold metal rings that symbolise the SP (Super Performance) series.
- Rubber covering of the zoom and focus rings to improve grip and visual uniformity when the lens is attached to a camera body.
- Improved readability of important information on the lens such as the distance scale and f-numbers.
SP - Super Performance AF 180mm F/3.5 LD (IF) Digitally Integrated Macro 1:1
The new SP AF180mm F/3.5 Di LD [IF] MACRO 1:1 is a medium telephoto lens that gives the user a longer working distance needed even in macro photography. In addition, to meet the needs of this dual-format world (silver-halide and digital), the optical system of the lens is designed to provide optimum performance when used with the latest digital SLR cameras that are becoming more popular than ever.
- Tamron's floating IF (Internal Focus) system provides this lens with both ease of use and superb image quality.
- Minimum object distance (M.O.D.) of 0.46m, 1:1 macro shots can be taken at a working distance of just 24cm from the front of the lens.
- Two LD (Low Dispersion) lens elements are arranged in such a way as to effectively compensate for the chromatic aberration that tends to be a characteristic problem of telephoto lenses. Superbly balanced optics ensure the achievement of both high contrast at the low wavelength end, and high resolution. Images are rendered with uniform sharpness from centre to periphery, resulting in excellent image quality.
- Reduced chromatic aberration ensured by the optics, and the 7-blade diaphragm, enables the same beautifully soft blurring of backgrounds (as Tamron's renowned SP 90mm Macro), a feature especially important to portrait and macro photographers.
- Rotation of polarizing filters is possible even with lens hood attached thanks to a new Filter Effect Control (FEC). Now, rotation of a polarizing filter can be accomplished even when a hood is attached by rotating the filter mount periphery.
- Focus ring switching feature enables one-touch AF/MF switching (Nikon and Canon AF versions only) by sliding the focus ring forwards or backwards. (Minolta version requires both lens and body AFIMF switching as in the past) Moreover, while in the AF mode on all versions, the focus ring does not rotate during focusing operation.
- The lens' tripod mount enables one touch tripod attachment and release while at the same time greatly improving the grip for handheld shooting.
Available from late June, the AF 28-75mm F/2.8 carries a suggested retail price of £349.99 for all fittings. Available in Canon AF, Nikon AF-D, Minolta AF and Pentax AF fittings.
Available from late June, the AF 180mm F/3.5 Macro carries a suggested retail price of £739.99 for all fittings. Available in Canon AF, Nikon AF-D and Minolta AF fittings.
For further information please contact UK importer & distributor: INTRO 2020 Ltd. Priors Way, Maidenhead, Berkshire SL6 2HR Tel: 01628 674411. Fax: 01628 771055 e-mail: sales@intro202O.co.uk www.intro2020.co.uk