Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

The Expedition Wooden Tripod

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Category: Tripods, Monopods and Other Supports

Expedition Wooden Tripod - Who needs Carbon Fibre when you can have a tripod made from wood?

Posted:
Print Article Add Comment Add CommentJargon Buster: Off Jargon Buster: Off

Are you looking for a tripod that's got a little more style and will make you stand out from the photography crowd? Well look no further than the Expedition Wooden Tripod.

This German creation, which has been crafted the same way for over 100 years, has an ash wood finish and a varnish protection that keeps moisture out.

According to Photojojo, the solid wood legs naturally absorb vibration and they do a better job at it than steel, carbon, or aluminium. While the retractable thick-gauge spikes found in the feet keep the tripod from wobbling.

Expedition Wooden Tripod feet

The tripod extends from 2-6 feet (1-2 metres) and its aluminium core means it weighs in at 6.20lbs (3Kgs).

The Expedition Wooden Tripod is available for 290USD (£180). Visit Photojojo for more information.

Expedition Wooden Tripod

Benro Announces Larger Size Momopods

Larger Benro Monopods Now Available

Benro has announced that there are larger sizes now availabl...

Giottos Launch 'Air' Range Of Lightweight Tripods

Giottos Unveils 'Air' Tripod Range

Giottos has launched a new range of super lightweight and co...

Gitzo Mountaineer Tripod Collection

Gitzo Launch Updated Mountaineer Range

Gitzo has announced a new, more technologically advanced Mou...

Comments

user_absconded
17 Mar 2011 - 4:34 PM

I have a three-legged wooden item with a flat surface upon which I can place my camera. I don't call it a tripod though, but a kitchen stool, and it has the added advantage of being able to sit on it as well (and I got it free out of a skip and saved myself 180 quid!) The world has gone mad... "stand out from the crowd with a hand-crafted ash finish...."Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
17 Mar 2011 - 7:28 PM

cameracat
cameracat  108575 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
17 Mar 2011 - 7:28 PM

LOL....You have a point there Lydia.....Grin

Selling it as a proper tool for a particular job, Maybe even for Pro use ( based on the price ) would probably be acceptable.....!!!

But this part says it all......Smile

Quote: "stand out from the crowd with a hand-crafted

ie: Don't buy this because you need a really good pro quality tripod.....!

Buy it because your a poser, Who likes to flaunt the fact....!!

Yes the world has gone mad.....Smile A while back I got some funny looks because I had a piece of white cardboard taped on my speedlight.....Sad I guess I should have paid 30 or 40 quid to have someone else's designer cardboard, Though I doubt it would have worked any better.....!!!!!!

Nope! Camera world and all things photographic have gone the way of every thing else today.

No wonder Apple sell so many over priced toys.....Grin

Wink

modelshoot
17 Mar 2011 - 11:29 PM

and today we here that the designer who made Kate Middletons Dress for 30.00 was physically Shaking when she heard on the news today that it was sold at auction after Kate had Worn it for.................78,000 NUTS! Tongue

uzi9mm
uzi9mm  378 forum posts United Kingdom
20 Mar 2011 - 3:47 PM

if you are willing to pay it they are willing to charge it.

neillachlanbell
22 Mar 2011 - 7:43 PM

Now if this article had appeared on April 1st??? Meanwhile I have an old wooden theodolite stand I picked up from a junk shop years ago for a song sitting in the shed doing nothing. Maybe I should adapt it for photographic use? Then I could pose/look like an idiot for free!

alex.ingram
22 Mar 2011 - 8:14 PM

Wooden tripods are ideal for long exposures when there is some vibration present. About 40 years ago in my police days as a forensic photographer I had to photograph a body in the hold of a ship. The engine was running and created vibration on the floor, which obviously caused problems when doing something like a two minute time exposure. It was a 5x4 MPP cammera and initially tried it on a huge Gitzo metal tripod, so heavy you carried it only or ideally with someone else. I could actually see the vibration on the camera, so that was abandoned. I then used a Gandolfi wooden tripod which absorbed the vibration completely, so wooden tripods do work in some circumstances where all others may fail.
... Alex

SiPat
SiPat  5 United Kingdom
23 Mar 2011 - 1:15 AM

Avoid the Photojojo website and visit the manufacturer's website instead - quite an eye opener. The tripod is made by Berlebach, who produce some very professional and expensive stuff for photography and mounting telescopes. In fact, I wish I could replace my Manfrotto with one of these.

I have a tripod made from wood which is about sixty or more years old and it shows no signs of warping, etc.

Last Modified By SiPat at 23 Mar 2011 - 1:16 AM