The young photographers are coming through

The young photographers are coming through - Jessica is a semi-professional photographer whose career and business began at the tender age of nineteen. Here she tells us a little bit about her life as a young photographer who's fighting off the maturer competition.

Category : Photographers

Work by Jessica HaymanYou're nineteen years old, just out of college and have no real experience about the working world, so the thought of starting your own business is probably the last thing on your mind. But photographer Jessica Hayman did exactly that and even though it hasn't been all fun and games she's still taking photographs and her business is still going strong.

As a child Jessica loved art and music but it wasn't until late 2005 that she started taking photographs.

I would go out, take pictures and put them onto Flickr. I asked for feedback and soon after I began to realise I enjoyed doing it and took it up as a profession,” said Jessica.

Jessica started her own business shortly after a local studio hired her. She worked at the studio for three months shooting all sorts of people from pregnant women and children to pets and the elderly. Even though she loved working with people the studio didn't offer her enough room to be creative. She wanted the chance to make her passion into a career so she left them and began to shape her own business.

I started the business when I was 19, it was quite a big step as I hadn’t really done it before and I was just out of college with no experience in the working world. The greatest thing about running your own company is that you’re your own boss, so you can relax when you want to, give yourself a raise and take extra days off if you want. However running your own company isn’t all fun and games you have to be very motivated to be able to push yourself, you have to be flexible to ensure the work gets done and you have full responsibility for your own wage. If your company goes down, so does your wage and that is a scary thing to think about.”

Photo by Jessica HaymanBased in the South of England, Jessica now travels all over the UK to attend shoots and she will be venturing over to Ireland soon to shoot weddings.  not bad for someone who is only 20 years old. Her first job was a modelling shoot for a local agency who she teamed up with to make sure both sides got what they wanted. The agency got a good set of photographs while Jessica could ensure she was paid.

I love working with people and I love hearing their stories when they come and visit me.” said Jessica.

Although her love is of people her favourite image is one she calls Misty Roads. She took the photograph at 6.15am on a winters morning back in 2005 on a simple point and shoot camera.

Photo by Jessica HaymanI was impressed with the detail that came out; especially seeing it was taken on such a basic camera.”

This simple photograph has turned into a popular buy for her customers who often request it on a canvas or as a large print. Jessica believes this goes to show how your equipment isn't everything and that your imagination and creativity can show the true beauty in the world.

Her work may have began on a point and shoot but now she uses a Canon 40D with various lenses, a swap she made earlier in the year.

I swapped my Olympus E-500 for the Canon earlier this year, the main reason was I saw my company growing and my camera just wasn’t as reliable as it used to be so I knew an upgrade was needed. I also upgraded as I had my first wedding this year and I wanted better gear to ensure that I capture that moment the way I see it through the lens.

How she captures her work, her style is described as laidback and enjoyable. Jessica believes in capturing what she sees and to create a friendly relationship with her models to ensure she not only captures them in their best light but it also makes it more of an enjoyable experience for all.

Photo by Jessica HaymanI went on a shoot myself as a model for another photographer just to see a sample of how other photographers work. The photographer I used I found very forceful and unpleasant; however after the experience I could note where he was going wrong and where I aim to correct his mistakes and treat my clients fairly and kindly.”

Jessica likes to show her models, clients and friends in all their glory. She captures their personalities and demonstrates why everybody loves them. A picture showing this is of Zowie, her rocker chick (picture to right).

Like for many others, the digital age has allowed Jessica to get creative and showcase her work online. “I use it to network, showcase my latest work and organise shoots. I don’t believe a company can progress nowadays without the Internet, everyone is using it and it’s a great way to spread your name.” However, like all technologies digital photography has its downsides and for Jessica that's believing Photoshop is a must have. She doesn't like images which are heavily worked in Photoshop.

Rather than capturing the beauty on the shoot they add the extras at home. I’m sorry but a software dork doesn’t make a good photographer. I use it to enhance my images not to create fake pieces of work.”

So does this young entrepreneur have any advice for other photographers out there?

Practise! Lots and lots of practise!” said Jessica. “Oh and don’t listen to those who say you have to study photography to go anywhere. I believe photography experience is much stronger than any qualification. In Art, talent is important. After all, the industry doesn't care if you hold a degree or not!

You can view more of Jessica's work here.

Comments

23 Sep 2008 11:12PM

Quote: "Iím sorry but a software dork doesnít make a good photographer."

capture 7 6 1 United Kingdom
24 Sep 2008 12:34PM
I have to agree with Geoff. I started as a pro at 20 (with a degree) which has helped me progress to a very succesful photographic career. Jessica has much to learn firstly when she picks up her camera she needs to put down her ego.

I visited her website and I have to say every photograph I saw on there demonstrated a very sloppy technique and approach to her photography and to her clients requirements.

I am far from old school at only 33yrs young myself, but if your gonna get ahead in this game you need to gain experience, three months training in Venture or Olan Mills hardly qualifies you as a professional photographer.

I have 3 large studios around the country now, and trust me I had to work damn hard to get them.

As a young photographer myself, I would advice Jessica to keep her eyes open and never be afraid of critique good or bad, and always remember customer is king.
lou22 5
24 Sep 2008 5:24PM
25 Sep 2008 1:59PM
I have read all this and makes good reading!

Lou22 do you know her then?

Would love anyones comments on my photography!

Cheers

Darren
capture 7 6 1 United Kingdom
26 Sep 2008 11:22AM
looked at some more of Jessica's wedding images the framing is dreadful! Some serious practice is needed here before charging people for a service of this mediocre standard.

Hi Darren you have some good work on your site, keep it up.
28 Sep 2008 9:23AM
Interesting how this photographer seems to generate attention from our new members.
One would almost think they signed up just to slag her off
capture 7 6 1 United Kingdom
28 Sep 2008 9:45PM
in this case i think the comments made are justified, I'm not a new member and all i have commented on is her work in a professional way.
29 Sep 2008 10:52AM
As it doesn't say new member behind your name, what makes you assume the remark was adressed at you ? Smile
29 Sep 2008 11:08AM
But not sure which comments (plural) you find justified. Lou22's ? Do you know him/her then ? or the photographer ?
or housd806's comment (posted no photos here, but does link to his website) ?
The way both like to use CAPTIONS in their post, I just wonder if geoffholt and lou22 aren't one and the same person.
MattGrayson 7 622 3 England
29 Sep 2008 1:26PM

Quote:

I think her point was that you have to take a good photograph in the first place. Smile

Quote: Jessica did not leave a local studio because she could not be creative, she was actually SACKED because of her lack of commitment to her job. She was not a team player and did not mix well with her collegues. She is definately over confident for the quality of work she is producing. Abit of life experience and a technical background will always show in your work!

I think she needs praise for doing what she's done regardless of her past jobs. I'm sure I've had jobs in the past where I've left thinking one thing and they think another. Smile
lou22 5
29 Sep 2008 9:19PM
I just think Jessica needs to calm down abit. I work in the studio that she was sacked from and there are photographers that deserve more praise and exposure than her. Being able to communicate with your subject is paramount if you're to get a great result, Jessica was not a communicater on any level. Unfortunately there are photographers and people that call themselves "photographers". Descent training will always give you a more solid background in your field. Its not fair that she's taking payment for her services and photographs that are "sub-standard".
capture 7 6 1 United Kingdom
29 Sep 2008 9:47PM

Quote: Quote:

Excuse me but how did this girl come to this conclusion!? Software dork is fairly specific. If Jessica were to look around at her contemporaries many of the BEST photographers in the world use Adobe Photoshop to full effect and can utalize it to maximum effect. Her words seem to be those of someone who lacks many skills within the photography business.I think her point was that you have to take a good photograph in the first place.
Quote:Jessica did not leave a local studio because she could not be creative, she was actually SACKED because of her lack of commitment to her job. She was not a team player and did not mix well with her collegues. She is definately over confident for the quality of work she is producing. Abit of life experience and a technical background will always show in your work!The article is about a young person that has made a name for herself and started up her own business. As an inspiration to other young people considering doing the same, I think it's unnecessary to follow this line of comments.

Hi Matt hope your well, my comments are merely constructive critique, I felt the article was badly written and seem to promote an over confident beginner in the field of photography. I teach photography to secondary school pupils on occasions and I wouldn't advise anyone to take the line that Jessica has taken.

There are some exceptional young photographers out there who look at this site for inspiration and guidance, call me old fashioned but trust me when I tell you I am not, I feel the article will do more harm than good to Jessica's career or to any young photographer that adopts her way of thinking.

I praise anyone for trying but don't run before you can walk.

This business is probably one of the most competitive in the world and that kind of thinking will get you nowhere.
MattGrayson 7 622 3 England
29 Sep 2008 11:59PM

Quote: I just think Jessica needs to calm down abit.

I don't see a point in the article where she gets worked up. She's young and has her views. They're bound to be stronger and more opinionated.

Quote: I work in the studio that she was sacked from and there are photographers that deserve more praise and exposure than her.

Possibly, but have they started up their own business? I'm guessing not and that's what this article is about.

Quote: Being able to communicate with your subject is paramount if you're to get a great result, Jessica was not a communicater on any level.

Well looking at the photographs in this article alone, she's got some great poses and expressions from her models.

Quote: Its not fair that she's taking payment for her services and photographs that are "sub-standard".

That just makes you sound bitter and jealous of her success. It's a shame that I don't even know the girl and I have to come in here and defend her. If you don't like her, fair enough but I think it's wrong for you to leave these comments about her.
Thanks Smile
MattGrayson 7 622 3 England
30 Sep 2008 12:07AM

Quote: Hi Matt hope your well, my comments are merely constructive critique, I felt the article was badly written and seem to promote an over confident beginner in the field of photography.

I get what you mean, I think her views are strong and she probably meant it all innocently enough. We have to remember as I mentioned in the comment above that she's young. People are headstrong and opinionated at that age (saying this makes me feel really old) and that's her view.

Quote: I teach photography to secondary school pupils on occasions and I wouldn't advise anyone to take the line that Jessica has taken.

I praise anyone for trying but don't run before you can walk.

Bear in mind that she doesn't say that she doesn't use editing but prefers it to enhance as opposed to a heavily adjust. I can see her point, but I can also see yours. I hope this helps. Smile
30 Sep 2008 2:50PM
.. I am definatly not the same person as Lou22.
But yes, I am a new member. I saw Jessica had posted a link to this article on her facebook profile and after reading it and almost falling of my chair with laughter, I felt that it had completely overhyped her abilities. Jessica is very unpopular within the circle of Southern UK photographers as she willingly undercuts and then deliveres sub-standard photographs due to her clear lack of experiance

By knowing others who know Miss Hayman, my questioning of

Quote: "Iím sorry but a software dork doesnít make a good photographer."

was meant as a backhanded remark. Like many other people in many professions, people will often play down them not knowing something by slagging it off. In this case, Jessicas inability to use Photoshop effectivley.

This girl needs to get off her high horse, get back into a studio and learn the basics.
MattGrayson 7 622 3 England
30 Sep 2008 4:01PM

Quote: she willingly undercuts and then deliveres sub-standard photographs due to her clear lack of experiance

Maybe she charges to what she believes her ability is? I know if I started off as a professional photographer, I would charge less to reflect my experience. I'm only saying maybe as I don't know for sure. You all seem to be trapped in a war of southern photographers that I was unaware of. Wink
capture 7 6 1 United Kingdom
30 Sep 2008 4:15PM

Quote: Quote:she willingly undercuts and then deliveres sub-standard photographs due to her clear lack of experianceMaybe she charges to what she believes her ability is? I know if I started off as a professional photographer, I would charge less to reflect my experience. I'm only saying maybe as I don't know for sure. You all seem to be trapped in a war of southern photographers that I was unaware of.

Price isn't the issue and nor should prices reflect experience in anyway. I shoot celebrities all over the globe as a professional, however this has no reflection on the prices in my high street studios at all, lets be honest people on the high street shouldn't be paying hundreds of pounds for photography anyway.

I am never popular with competitors because i keep my prices real and affordable. I have a promotion on till end of December now 18x12 prints only £9.99, printed on Fuji Professional by our regular lab, this price does not reflect my skill or experience in anyway shape or form, the fact is my competitors charge £100+ for the same size image which is always sub-standard compared to ours and only sell a few, where we sell hundreds. See the pattern????

Never put a high price on your work that you do on the high street, I never have and I am doing better than most.
13 Oct 2008 11:46AM
Funny how the old dogs round on the new pup!

Just an observation.

I just wonder how many of the old dogs barking above behaved in their puppy days?

Jessica's customers seem to be happy with her work.

Is it not a little arrogant for pro togs to suggest that their customers should be 'educated' as to what is a good picture, and should buy from them?

Pictures acclaimed by photographers are often only acclaimed by other photographers.

I am not suggesting that pro togs do not deliver good photographs to their clients.

I am sure that their clients are knowledgeable and appreciate the photographs produced by the Pros.

I just think that the general public does not have the same appreciation of a 'Good Pic'.

As to Jessica's customers buying her 'below standard' work they are obviously not the knowledgeable clients of the Pros, so what need do they have to worry of Jessica's competition?

A good Pro tog knows exactly what his client wants and delivers it to the brief.

Possibly Jessica is doing the same, for the moment?

And if she is as bad as portrayed above then she can only get better!
jas
corvee 6 1 Scotland
18 Oct 2008 10:29AM
"Iím sorry but a software dork doesnít make a good photographer."
corvee 6 1 Scotland
18 Oct 2008 10:35AM
"Iím sorry but a software dork doesnít make a good photographer."
I believe that the intended statement could have been moderated without losing the value.Perhaps a bit precocious of Jessica to use the word dork but her opinion is as important to the issue as those who disqagree. There are I am sure, many who would agree that extreme manipulation by Photo editing software is no substitute for a well framed ,well composed shot in the first place. In a very competitive field my advice to Jessica would be take the hits girl.At least you have inspired interest. There is only one thing worse than being spoken about and that is being ignored. Good luck Jessica and learn while you go.
Nice to see everyone gets along.Such a nice industry