Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
|Category:||Bags, Cases and Straps|
Think Tank Photo releases first expandable backpack - An expanding bag that can be compressed to 3" in width once equipment is removed will be on sale in December.
In December, Think Tank Photo will release the Shape Shifter™, the first backpack designed to expand and contract to fit DSLR equipment. By contracting down to 3 inches, the backpack keeps photographers from having to carry around a large foam box on their backs once their equipment is removed.
The Shape Shifter was designed for:
- Photographers that want a lightweight solution with significantly less foam and padding than traditional photo backpacks;
- Photographers that travel a great deal by airplane and public transportation that want to carry the maximum amount of equipment in the smallest package possible;
- Photographers that want to reduce the size of the backpack after their gear is removed. (Note: some gear can remain in the front, like two strobes, and it can still be compressed to the smaller size with the zipper);
- Photographers that use modular belt systems. After they remove most of their gear and put it on their belt, they then can then collapse the backpack;
- Photographers on the run that must travel with up to 17” laptops and have the necessary accessories with them to transmit images.
- The Shape Shifter can be compressed to 3 inches in width once equipment is removed.
- Once the majority of photo gear is removed, the bag can be collapsed and the photographer can still carry up to a 17” laptop and accessories, but in a much smaller package.
- Rear compartment for up to 17” laptops has medium padding for protection and comfort.
- Photographers can to wear their belt system, with components attached, and still support the weight of the backpack with the belt.
- The inside compartment has neoprene pouches for:
- 2 Pro DSLR bodies
- 1 70-200 2.8 with hood reversed
- 1 24-70 2.8 or similar with hood reversed
- 1 16-35 2.8 or similar with hood reversed
- Stretch pockets on the inside can also hold two strobes and other
- Includes a strap system to mount either a monopod or tripod on the front the
- Padding on the back has an airflow system for breathability and comfort.
- Outer Dimensions when COLLAPSED: 20 x 12.5 x 3” ( 51 x 32 x 8 cm)
- Outer Dimensions when EXPANDED: 20 x 12.5 x 7” ( 51 x 32 x 18 cm)
- Inner Dimensions of the LAPTOP CASE compartment: 19 x 12 x 1.5” (48 x 30.5 x 4 cm)
- Inner Dimensions of the DSLR Camera compartment (Note that because there are neoprene pockets to hold the photo gear, the normal internal dimensions stated have less meaning): 19.5 x 12 x 4” (49.5 x 30.5 x 10 cm)
- Estimated Base Weight (without any straps or accessories attached: 3 lbs, 13 oz (1729 grams)