Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Selling Your Camera Gear On eBay - When it comes to selling camera gear on eBay, it's simple things that make a real difference.
As with most photographers, I upgrade my kit every now and then and that's when you need to sell your old stuff to buy new. The following are my own/collected tips on how to get the most bucks for your camera kit on eBay.
eBay FeesNot many sellers know that eBay charges 10% up to £40 for every transaction. If you include PayPal charges (3.4% + 20p), that's 13.4% fee structure. Therefore, it's better to sell the whole camera kit on eBay (take advantage of the £40 per transaction fee) rather than selling them individually, even though you might get a bit more by selling them individually.
Of course, if each individual item is quite expensive (e.g. £1000 and more) then selling them individually is a much better option.
Item Description TipsThink about the eBay listing as an advert and your job is to best sell it:
- Describe the condition of your kit cosmetically and mechanically carefully, as detailed as possible
- Clearly state any marks, scratches, faults, unusual behaviours of the camera/lens
- If you know the shutter count for the camera, state it clearly
- Don't use stock photos unless you sell a brand new item
- Take high quality photos of the kit showing the condition. Upload the photos somewhere like Picasa and then include them in item description. It's much better than eBay photos
Shipping OptionsGive the buyers as many options to receive the items as possible. Also try to give them faster shipping options e.g. Royal Mail Special Delivery. Avoid Pickup Only unless you seriously can't post. There are lots of shipping options for large, bulky items now like Parcelforce, Shiply and Parcel2go.
Payment OptionsSimilar to shipping options, give buyers as many payment options as possible. State that clearly on your listings. Some buyers don't like PayPal and are happy to pay you via bank transfer / cash on collection.
CommunicationsLet's face it, eBay communications is really a pain. Set up a new gmail account just for the advert and put that email on your listing so buyers can contact you easily if they want to.
I hope this helps and I look forward to hearing your own tips/advice on selling cameras.