Some cameras are better than others for inbuilt effects. Here are our top 10 cameras with the best effects. We'll also tell you what works best to photograph with each effect, too.
– This DSLR camera has a variety of effects, including colour outline, colour sketch and in our opinion its best effect, the starburst. This effect works well on objects that are shiny, such as the pool balls below. It makes the subject look squeaky clean and sparkling.
Sony Cybershot DSC-HX 10V GPS
– This neat compact has an illustration effect, that makes your pictures look like drawn and coloured illustrations. It will work well with countryside vistas, and views with a lot of lines, like the train station one below. It will also produce some quirky portrait shots.
– This camera features an old film effect, which gives your image the look and feel of a really old scratchy sepia photo. This mode is great for capturing period re-enactment photos, or giving any photo a vintage, old fashioned feel. It will also work well if you visit any castles or stately homes that have a lot of history behind them.
– This compact from Olympus has a few stand our effects, including punk, reflected and fragmented. The punk one is good for taking alternative portraits, whilst the reflect effect is great for optical trick shots. The fragmented effect looks almost like tiles, so it will work well for landscape images.
Panasonic Lumix DMC GF5
– This mirrorless camera has a wide variety of effects that will work well on landscape images, like the impressive art effect shown here. It also features high key, low key and cross process effects.
Olympus OM-D EM5
– This mirrorless camera features a host of effects, the best of which are the key lines effect, shown here, whick works well on buildings and cars, and the grainy film effect. It also has a pinhole effect and a cross process effect.
– This quirky and stylish mirrorless camera features a really cool invert colour effect, allowing for negative style images. It also includes an extract colour effect, and a shading effect among others.
Samsung ST 200F
– This cute shocking pink compact has a good variety of effects, including cartoon, funny face and motion photo, which is a quirky effect which makes the photo look like it's moving. It is basically a very short replaying movie. This is great for showing the wind in the trees, and other subjects where a small amount of movement makes them look real.
Pentax Optio WG-2
– This rugged camera is able to take underwater photos, and features an ink rubbing effect, which will work well on ornate and old buildings, such as cathedrals. This is shown below. It also features a digital fish eye effect, among others.
– This DSLR has some great effects, including silhouette, which is good for photographing people walking along a beach at sunset, and night vision, which is brilliant for getting good shots of nocturnal animals, from pets to wildlife.