The mirrorless camera market, or compact system camera (CSC) as most people now call it, is certainly interesting, providing DSLR sized sensors in compact styled cameras, with a much more rapid refresh cycle, which has seen a number of new cameras introduced each year. Click the camera names to read our full reviews of these cameras, or click the buy now links to check the latest prices.
Here we highlight the best of the bunch, starting with Number 1:
3. Panasonic Lumix G6 - Joint 1st - The Panasonic Lumix G6 features built in Wi-Fi, NFC, OLED EVF, improved video mode, focus peaking, and is Panasonic's latest DSLM with a 16 megapixel sensor. Buy Now.
5. Sony Alpha A7- Joint 2nd - The Sony Alpha A7 is the World's first full-frame mirrorless camera, and offers the same look as full frame cameras, but with a much more compact body, and electronic viewfinder. Buy Now.
6. Panasonic Lumix GM1- Joint 2nd - The Panasonic Lumix GM1 is a marvel of compact dimensions, offering the image quality of the GX7, it is the smallest Micro Four Thirds camera available, and one of the smallest mirrorless cameras available, yet has access to an excellent range of lenses. The GM5 is a version of the GM1, with a built-in electronic viewfinder as well as a flash hot-shoe.Buy Now.
7. Panasonic Lumix GX7 - Joint 2nd - The Panasonic Lumix GX7 introduces a number of unique features, including a tilting EVF built into the body, a tilting 3 inch touch screen, a completely new Panasonic sensor, as well as in-body sensor shift image stabilisation, which will benefit anyone who shoots with lenses without built in IS. Buy Now.
8. Olympus PEN Lite E-PL7 - Joint 2nd - Image quality is vastly improved over previous PEN cameras, using the 16 megapixel sensor from the OM-D E-M5 - this version includes built in Wi-Fi. For a more compact version, have a look at the Olympus PEN Mini E-PM2. Buy Now.
9. Olympus OM-D E-M5 - Joint 3rd - For anyone doubting the ability of mirrorless cameras, this is the one that should answer a lot of concerns. It has a weather-sealed compact body, an excellent range of lenses and most importantly excellent image quality - significantly improved over previous Olympus cameras. The noise performance and detail in images is very good even at high ISOs, comparable to cameras with APS-C sized sensors. Buy Now.
10. Sony Alpha A6000 - Joint 3rd - The Sony Alpha A6000 offers a 24 megapixel APS-C sensor, high speed shooting at 11fps, with continuous AF, making this a quick camera with a competitive price point as well. Buy Now.
11. Samsung NX1 - Joint 3rd - The Samsung NX1 is a DSLR shaped mirrorless camera, with a high resolution 28 megapixel BSI CMOS sensor, 15fps continuous shooting, 4K video recording, tilting touch-screen, along with a large electronic viewfinder and built-in Wi-Fi connectivity. Buy Now.
12. Olympus OM-D E-M1 - Joint 3rd - The Olympus OM-D E-M1 has improved image quality, improved handling, as well as an excellent and large electronic viewfinder making this more appealing to the professional user. Built in Wi-Fi and a weather sealed body add to the appeal. Buy Now.