Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Jerry Tavin joins TPOTY judging line-up - Judges announced for the Travel Photographer of the Year 2010 competition.
Travel Photographer of the Year 2010 entrants will have their images judged by an outstanding panel of image specialists from the UK, USA, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Belgium and Germany, including a world-renowned figure from the photographic industry - stock photography expert Jerry Tavin.
Jerry Tavin was given The 2008 Picture Professional Award of the Year by the ASPP (the American Society of Pictures Professionals). In 1994 Jerry and his wife Janou Pakter created nonstock, a high-end worldwide photography collection that offered an alternative to other more traditional stock agencies. The agency was highly respected for its unique, cutting edge and compelling imagery. Currently Jerry is co-president of Glasshouse Images. He is also the founder of Young Photographers Alliance (YPA), the educational foundation dedicated to rallying the resources of the creative community and general public in support of young talent.
In addition, three other new judges have just been confirmed for the TPOTY awards - Emma Thomson, Commissioning Editor of Bradt Travel Guides, Colin Finlay, Head of Image Resources for the Natural History Museum, and Brigitte Lardinois, Senior Research Fellow of the London College of Communication and former head of the Cultural Department of Magnum. Brigitte organised Magnum's Fiftieth Anniversary exhibition as well as solo exhibitions of the work of Henri Cartier-Bresson, Eve Arnold, Martin Parr Josef Koudelka, Elliott Erwitt and many others. She edited the much acclaimed 'Magnum Magnum', a book to mark Magnum's 60th Anniversary, and 'Eve Arnold’s People', a book about the portraits of Eve Arnold.
With photographers such as Steve Bloom, Nick Meers and Chris Weston, editors of leading photography magazines, picture buyers, lighting and imaging experts and publishers, this is TPOTY's strongest judging line-up to date.
TPOTY founder, Chris Coe, said, "We are delighted and very grateful that our judges are giving their time to the Travel Photographer of the Year awards and hope that entrants enjoy knowing that their work will be viewed by such a distinguished group of international experts covering all aspects of photography. We have already seen previous TPOTY winners go on to achieve great things with their careers, and a judging panel of this extraordinary quality and diversity offers a fantastic opportunity to photographers of all levels and can only boost the credentials of the winning photographers."
The full TPOTY 2010 judging panel:
- Simon Bainbridge, Editor, British Journal of Photography
- Sophie Batterbury, Picture Editor, Independent on Sunday & Foto8
- Steve Bloom, travel & wildlife photographer
- Marni Brownlees, Art Buyer, Dare Digital
- Chris Coe, travel photographer, photographic tutor and founder of TPOTY
- Juliet Coombe, travel photographer and publisher
- Colin Finlay, Head of Image Resources, Natural History Museum
- Jeremy Hoare, photographer & TV cameraman
- Debbie Ireland, Former Head of AA Photo Library
- Andrew James, Editor, Practical Photography
- Brigitte Lardinois, editor & curatory
- Nick Meers, landscape & panoramic photographer
- Caroline Metcalfe, Director of Photography, Conde Nast Traveller
- Erin Moroney, Head of Axiom Photographic Agency
- Mary Robert, Head of Photography, Richmond, the American International University in London
- Terry Steeley, designer & digital imaging expert
- Jerry Tavin, stock photography expert and founder of YPA
- Emma Thomson, Commission Editor, Bradt Travel Guides
- Chris Weston, wildlife photographer
- Manfred Zollner, Managing Editor, fotoMAGAZIN