Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Ultra-compact OptioS30 digital camera announced by Pentax - Pentax place key emphasis on cost performance
It features an array of easy-to-operate functions that assist in making sure the end results live up to expectations, is empowered with 3.2 effective megapixels, and also features a lens offering 3X optical zooming versatility that can be combined with 2.6X digital zoom for total 8X (approx.) zooming freedom.
Ultra-compact, sophisticated design
The unique Pentax Sliding Lens system contributes to the exceptionally compact dimensions.
89 (W) x 58.5 (H) x 25.5 (D) mm (excluding protruding controls) with weight of only 125g (excluding batteries and SD memory card).
For convenience, the OptioS30 is also compatible with two AA batteries.It has attractive aluminium exterior with vertical and horizontal hairline engravings. Super compact, super convenient, it slips easily into a pocket or bag, to go wherever you do.
3.2 effective megapixel clarity
For images ranging from shots of colourful flowers to distant scenery, the imaging power of 3.2 effective megapixels helps ensure excellent clarity. The OptioS30 also has the built-in advantages of a primary colour filter and advanced imaging technologies for further enhanced images with brighter, more natural tones.
Ultra-compact, 3X optical zoom lens
The OptioS30 incorporates an smc Pentax lens one of a series renowned for their sheer superior quality. Comprised of 5 groups of 6 elements crafted entirely from glass and featuring two lenses crafted to be aspherical on each side, it offers 3X optical zoom capability (a focal range covering angles of view equivalent to those of a 38-114mm lens in 35mm format). 3X optical zoom can also be combined with 2.6X (approx.) digital zoom to offer total zooming capability of approximately 8X.
All buttons and controls have been located within easy reach from a ready-to-shoot position. The shutter release button has been enlarged for swift access. Buttons on the back of the camera have also been made bigger for easier control. A handy mode dial is employed to allow virtually effortless selection from the impressive array of shooting modes.
4 frequently used functions can be selected from a choice of ten (recording size, image quality, exposure compensation, metering, white balance, sharpness, saturation, contrast, sensitivity and AF area). These can then be assigned to the left and right elements of the four-way controller for access when the dial position is set in modes other than Auto Select, Movie, and Voice recording.
9-position mode dial
A handy mode dial positioned in the middle of the top surface. Simply set the dial to one of the nine modes described below and the OptioS30 takes care of all relevant settings automatically.
1. Auto select Automatically activates Program mode for effortless, yet pleasing results. From there, the OptioS30 also has the ability to evaluate the subject too, automatically activating Portrait, Landscape or Night Scene mode accordingly. Auto select mode also features settings for frequently used shooting functions (recording image size and quality settings), which can be easily altered to suit user tastes.
2. Portrait Designed to capture skin tones in a more natural way.
3. Landscape Makes it easy to capture wide-open natural scenes.
4. Night scene Captures a significant amount of detail while retaining the mood of shots taken in low light.
5. Movie The OptioS30 even has the power to record video accompanied by the advantage of sound! *Recorded movies can be viewed using ACDSee for Pentax (on systems with QuickTimeTM installed).
6. Voice recording Extremely useful in a wide range of situations, the OptioS30 is also capable of recording audio.
7. Digital effects Offers a range of special digital effects for exciting creative results. (8 digital filters, a 2 in 1 effect, and Panorama Assist)
8. Program Leaves all settings to the camera for spur-of-the-moment photo opportunities.
9. Picture Allows the user to choose one of 10 different settings to swiftly make the most of the situation at hand.
Help function in Auto Select mode
A useful Help function can be easily accessed when in both shooting and playback modes.
With the press of a button, the OptioS30 activates a display of easy-to-understand explanations for dial positions and buttons for both shooting and playback.
As a result, even the total beginner to get the hang of OptioS30 operation in a snap.
Simple shooting with 10 Picture modes
In addition to the Portrait, Landscape, and Night scene modes placed directly on the mode dial, the OptioS30 also offers 10 picture modes. All you have to do is just select the icon most appropriate for the scene, compose, then shoot.
1. Flower Designed to bring out the vivid colours and intricate details of flowers.
2. Self-portrait Delivers sharp results and flattering tones whenever you need to turn the camera around to take a shot of yourself.
3. Surf Solves the common problems with reflections of light off water for pleasing, appropriate exposure throughout the frame.
4. Snow Helps to maintain true colours and avoid the detrimental effects of excessive reflection off snow.
5. Sunset mode Capture the warmth and romance of sunrise and sunset scenes.
6. Museum Allows optimal exposure to be achieved while ensuring the flash doesnt fire.
7. Text Captures written material in a manner that maximizes legibility.
8. Food Conveys convincing texture, and communicate the real freshness of food.
9. Landscape Portrait Clearly captures portraits along with the expansive scenery of the background.
10. Marine Makes it easy to capture natural colours when shooting underwater. Soundless movies can also be shot underwater too. * When the OptioS30 is housed within an optionally available waterproof case.
Digital effect modes
Without the need for a PC, the OptioS30 opens up a range of creative possibilities with a choice of 8 digital filters as well as, Panorama Assist, and 2 in 1 digital functions.
8 digital filters
B&W, sepia, red, green, blue, B&W with red, B&W with green, and B&W with blue digital filters let the user emphasize key colours of the original scene or add an entirely different mood.
2 in 1
Allows two different images to be recorded side by side in a single frame.
Following the cameras simple guidance, take a series of horizontal or vertical shots.
These can then easily be aligned and combined on a PC using the software provided to create one large image that captures expansive scenes in their entirety.
12 digital filters for shot images
The user can apply different moods to images that have been already shot using 12 filters (B&W, sepia, red, green, blue, B&W with red, B&W with green, B&W with blue, Soft, and 3 types of illustration effects).
Menu text information enlargement
The menu display can be easily enlarged with a press of the zoom button.
The OptioS30 supports PictBridge, a new direct-print standard released by the CIPA (Camera and Imaging Products Association). With this advantage, the OptioS30 can be connected directly to a printer that supports PictBridge via USB cable to offer control over printing, resizing, digital filters, and other functions all without the need for a PC.
Other helpful features
- USB mass storage class compatibility
- Useful software included (a CD-ROM that features the ACDSee for Pentax application)
- Built-in auto flash
- Convenient LCD monitor
- Optical viewfinder
- Nine-image and Zoom display
- Convenient self-timer
- Two optional remote control units
- Continuous shooting
- Macro mode and Infinity-landscape mode
- Manual focus
- Options for autofocus (spot & 5-point AF)
- White balance settings
- Histogram display
- 3 choices for metering
- Sensitivity settings
- Exposure compensation
- Settings for sharpness, saturation, and contrast
- Image protection
- Mode memory function
- World time function
- DPOF compatibility
- Approximately 11Mb of built-in memory
- SD memory card compatibility
- Resize function
- Voice memo function
- AV (video/audio) output terminal
- Various power sources including common AA batteries
- Operation in 9 languages
- AC adapter
- Waterproof case (O-WP3) for shots underwater at depths of up to 40m (equivalent to JIS Class 8)
- Remote control E & remote control F
Compact-type digital still camera with built-in zoom lens, autofocus, auto exposure and auto flash
|Total pixels 3.34 megapixels
1/2.7 inch interline transfer CCD with a primary colour filter
Still 2048 x 1536 pixels, 1600 x 1200 pixels, 1024 x 768 pixels, 640 x 480 pixels Movie 320x240 pixels
|Sensitivity||Auto, fixed (equivalent to ISO50, 100, 200, 400)|
Still JPEG (Exif 2.2), DCF, DPOF, PRINT Image Matching II
|Storage Media||Built-in memory (approx. 11Mb), SD memory card|
smc Pentax power zoom 5.8mm-17.4mm (equivalent to 38mm-114mm in 35mm format) f/2.6-f/4.8, 6 elements in 5 groups (2 dual-sided aspherical elements)
|1X - 2.6X|
Type TTL contrast detection autofocus system
5-point autofocus, spot autofocus
Autofocus Normal: 0.4m (1.31 ft ) to infinity
|Manual Focus||0.06 m (0.2 ft.) to infinity|
|Metering System||TTL metering: Choice of Multi-segment metering, Centre-weighted metering, Spot metering|
Mode dial Auto Select, Portrait, Landscape, Night scene, Movie, Voice
recording, Digital Effect, Program, Picture
|Digital Filter||Black and white, Sepia, Red, Green, Blue, B&W+red, B&W+green, B&W+blue, 2 in 1, Panorama assist. During play mode (Black and white, Sepia, Red, Green, Blue, B&W+red, B&W+green, B&W+blue, Soft, Illustration)|
|Exposure Compensation||2 EV (1/3 steps)|
|Movie Shooting time||From approx. 1 sec. to memory card capacity.|
|Colour mode||Full colour|
|Shutter||Programmed AE electronic lens shutter with CCD electronic shutter|
|Shutter speed||Approx. 1/2000 sec. to 4 sec.|
|Drive Modes||One shot, Continuous, Remote control, Self-timer|
Built-in series-control auto flash. Automatic discharge under low lighting conditions in auto modes. Flash-on and Flash-off modes. "Red-eye" reduction function also available.
Approx. 0.2m - 3.5m (0.65 ft -11.5 ft) (5.8mm at Sensitivity 200)
|White Balance||Auto, Daylight, Shade, Tungsten light, Fluorescent light, Manual setting|
Actual-image zoom viewfinder
1.6 inch, TFT colour LCD (Approx. 85,000 pixels)
World Time Displays the time in 62 cities (28 time zones)
English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Chinese (Traditional/Simplified), Korean, Japanese
Print mode Single image print, All images print, DPOF auto print
AV output terminal, USB terminal, DC input terminal
|Video Output||Compatible with NTSC and PAL formats (monaural sound)|
One Lithium battery CR-V3(allows approximately500 shots to be taken*) , two AA batteries (lithium, alkaline, nickel-manganese and rechargeable Ni-MH). Optional AC adapter also available.
|Dimensions||89(W) x 58.5(H) x 25.5(D)mm (3.5 x 2.3 x 1 inches) (excluding protrusions)|
|Weight||175g (6.2 oz.) loaded and ready. 125g (4.4 oz.)without battery and SD memory card|
Price and availability
Available May 2004 Guide Price around 230