Wacom Bamboo Fun Pen and Touch Small lets you use a pen as well as your fingers so you can draw and control your computer how you want. We tested it with the optional wireless accessory kit module installed, but it also works with a USB cable.
Wacom Bamboo Fun Pen and Touch Features
The Bamboo Fun tablet, with pen and touch functionality, is designed to be fast and flexible with four customisable buttons. It comes in two sizes – small and medium - we are testing the small version.
Designed so you can take the tablet wherever you go you can use it wirelessly with the wireless accessory kit.
Includes the full version of Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 or 10 (Small or Medium tablet version) so you can retouch and manage your photos. Sketch, doodle and paint with the real pen-on-paper feeling with ArtRage 3 or Corel Painter Essentials (comes only with Fun M) software. Available via software download (product registration required).
Use the power of the pen or the stroke and swipe of your fingertips – designed for navigating, rotating and zooming in and out on websites, documents and photos.
Free up-to-the-minute creative software with a variety of Bamboo apps inside Bamboo dock, ready for download and part of the package.
- Bamboo Apps
- Multi-touch - Use fingers
- Mark with Pen
- Working area: 147 x 92 mm (5.7 x 3.6 inches)
- Full versions of Adobe Photoshop Elements and Art Rage
- Support of multi-touch gestures to scroll, zoom, rotate and more
- Pressure-sensitive pen tip and eraser for natural feel
- Improved resolution for high accuracy
- Battery-free and ergonomic pen with two buttons
- Paper-like tablet surface with 16:10 aspect ratio
- Reversible tablet design for left- or right-handed use
- Four customisable ExpressKeys for quick function access
- Attached pen holder for convenient storage
- Easy USB connection
- Interactive tutorial to make the most of Bamboo
- 1024 pressure levels
- 2540 lpi resolution
Wacom Bamboo Small
Wacom Bamboo Fun Pen and Touch Handling
The Bamboo Fun is designed to be portable, so you can take it with you in your bag with your laptop. The main area is less than 6 x 4 inches making it quite small, the actual full size of the table is quite large. The border around the work area seems larger than necessary, and it would be nice if it had a much thinner border.
If you don't want a cable trailing across your desk, the optional wireless connector is a very good idea. If you do get this, the tablet has a built in holder for the small USB receiver which is very handy. The large rubbber feet on the bottom stop the tablet from sliding around and the built in pen-holder is a nice touch, although it is quite a tight fit.
Also available is a be.ez (from be-ez.com
) LA robe case that fits the Bamboo Pen, Pen & Touch, Fun S Pen & Touch, Connect, Capture, and features a pen holder, as well as a holder for pen tips. This is padded so should help protect it if you do decide to us it where-ever you go.
Wacom Bamboo Fun
Wacom Bamboo Fun Pen and Touch Performance
Bamboo settings: The Bamboo preferences let you set whether you are using it left or right handed, what the buttons do as well as showing you the battery charge level. You can customise what the buttons on the pen do. The touch functions can be switched on and off with the settings page showing a quick animation showing you how to use the feature selected. If you are using two monitors it's possible to set the tablet to be assigned to one or both of the screens, this is useful if you want additional precision.
The Bamboo dock gives you access to Bamboo apps, this includes games, such as Mah Jong, tools such as Livebrush, Animator, DrawTweet and more, as well basic apps such as Doodler and Evernote. These are in addition to the apps that come pre-installed as shown below. Some of these are fun, some useful such as the notepad and tutorial, and some are simply designed to help you get used to using the graphics tablet and pen.
Drawing / In use
- The pen is especially useful for Photoshop re-touching or editing work... the photo on the left has been retouched using the Bamboo to remove any blemishes and smooth areas of the skin etc, while the photo on the right has been altered with the Bamboo to colour the hair (grey), as well as draw in additional lines over the hair to give an almost cartoon / drawing effect over the hair.
Value For Money
- The Wacom Bamboo Fun is available for around £79 and gives you a similar level of performance and usefulness as the Intuos 4 tablets
, but at a much better price point. While there are a few other manufacturers of graphics tablets that offer slightly lower priced products, the inclusion of Adobe Photoshop Elements with the tablet helps give extra value for money.
Wacom Bamboo Fun Pen and Touch Verdict
The Wacom Bamboo Fun gives you the choice of using a pen, or alternatively simply using your hand like you would a touchscreen phone. It's available for less than £80 and is good value for money with the included software and would therefore make an excellent first graphics tablet for someone who wants to get more involved in graphic design, photo retouching or drawing.
||The Wacom Bamboo Fun is a great graphics tablet available at an attractive price.
Wacom Bamboo Fun Pen and Touch Pros
1024 pressure levels
Easy to setup and use
Good value for money
Can use pen or multi-touch
Can be setup for dual or single monitors
Wacom Bamboo Fun Pen and Touch Cons
Working area quite small, with large border
Would be nice if wireless was included as standard
|VALUE FOR MONEY