Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

". . . and so it ends."

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Jestertheclown
    29 Jan 2013 - 10:16 PM

And so it ends.

366 days; 366 photographs.

Each one taken on the day that it was supposed to have been taken, albeit uploaded at my convenience and in at least one instance, in the wrong order but all taken as and when they should have been, nonetheless.
    It's been quite a challenge; don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Finding something to shoot every single day isn't as straightforward as it sounds.
    There have been days where the weather precluded venturing outside, days when greater responsibilities than getting a photograph of someone's cat had to take preference, days when I really couldn't be arsed and days when I simply found myself running out of time.
    Oh yes! there were lots of those!
    Time, I found was my greatest enemy. Even in the early days when my work only took up a part of my day and then months of unemployment, still I found that there were insufficient hours in the day to shoot something even remotely worthwhile.
    A new job involving more hours bizarrely opened up a new avenue of opportunity as I found myself close to to my favoured haunt, "Priory Gardens" and a (very) short walk to the town centre. Certainly a short enough walk to be able to venture out at lunchtimes.
    I've used four different cameras and three mobile phones complete this journey, each of which have displayed their strengths and weaknesses in equal quantities.
    I've found myself at the far end of town, faced with a tremendous opportunity, only to find that I've packed the camera, the flash, some spare batteries and another lens but not an SD card in sight. I've gone out in the snow and wind only to realise that I hadn't taken that day's shot and having left my cameras indoors, had to make do with the phone in my pocket.
    I've also though, spent many happy, lazy afternoons in the park photographing the squirrels and whatever took my eye. I've climbed to the top of the downs and photographed cattle from the centre of the herd. I've acquired hundreds of record shots of a guided busway that's nearing completion nearby. Buterflies, birds and all kinds of motor vehicles have been captured.
    Recently, I overcame my dislike of photographing people. One of the greengrocers (no apostrophe!) on the local market gave me an apple when I asked if I could take a few shots of him.
    Another of the highlights of this venture was finally taking some decent shots of a magpie; a bird I've strived to photograph successfully for some years.
    So!
    Have I learned anything from it . . . ?
    Well, yes, of course I have. I've always been an opportunist when it comes to taking photographs, in fact, I've always been an opportunist, full stop.
    I see and always have seen photographs waiting to be taken in situations where others just see banality but doing this has made me more so. I've become more aware of my surroundings. The colours of things, whether 'that sky' might be worth shooting and saving for later, drab red brick buildings have suddenly become interesting, shapely structures.
    Has my photography improved in any way because of it . . . ?
    Not so sure of the answer to that. You people may need to look at some of these shots and sit in judgement.
    I'd like to think that the experience has led to my getting better results but I guess that everyone, finding themselves in this position thinks that.
    Not that I care particularly.
    All I know is that I began this madness twelve months ago with the intention that I should take a shot every day and the determination to see it through to the end.

And that's what I've done!

Bren.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    29 Jan 2013 - 10:16 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014141 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Jan 2013 - 10:42 PM

Well done Bren,

I know it ain't easy and takes real dedication to complete the project.

congrats
    Chris

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315362 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Jan 2013 - 10:52 PM

I only lasted about 5 days Smile

franken
    franken e2 Member 123128 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Jan 2013 - 11:06 PM

Must have taken a lot of dedication to get through this so well done.

Ken.

widtink
    widtink  2406 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Jan 2013 - 11:24 PM

Well done Bren you are right in saying you become more aware of your surroundings , the "oridinary" can yield some great photos , so well done you. (Relax now)Grin

Rod

gingerdougie
    29 Jan 2013 - 11:43 PM

Now you haven't developed OCD have you?

llareggub
    llareggub  4698 forum posts United Kingdom
    30 Jan 2013 - 9:05 AM

Nice one, I completed a "365"in 2010 and 2012 but my 2011 effort only made it through about 6 months Grin

The last month of 2012 was tough though!

SlowSong
    SlowSong e2 Member 64431 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Jan 2013 - 9:08 AM

Well Done Bren! I gave up after 2 weeks as I was snapping rubbish for the sake of it and it was more a chore than a joy for me.
    So I admire you, and all the others that have achieved their 365. Because it is an achievement.
    x

puertouk
    puertouk  21072 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Jan 2013 - 9:34 AM

Bren, will you every try this again or has it frazzled you completely? SadSmileTongue
    Stephen

Jestertheclown
    30 Jan 2013 - 5:56 PM

Hi Everyone and thanks for those kind words.
    You're right. It did require some determination and on occasions, some gritting of teeth!
    Rod, I will relax now, although I have taken some shots today!
    Michael, OCD . . . ! Not quite!
    Brian, Sorry to hear about 2011. It must be really disappointing, not to mention annoying, to falter, having got half way through it.
    Chris, there were occasions when I found myself shooting practically anything, just to get the shot, particularly towards the end. When I started, I made a list of things that I could shoot easily, just in case I got stuck for a 'proper' shot. It worked too, for a while but of course, the list wasn't as long as the year!
    Stephen; will I try it again . . . ?
    NO!
    Not in the foreseeable future anyway.
    It was fun, amongst other things, while it lasted and it turned out to be quite a challenge but I've done it now and I no longer have anything to prove.

I'm considering doing one-a-week or one-a-month though. This time, basing each shot on a different, specific subject.

Any ideas?

Bren.

Whoops! I've just pressed the wrong button and made my own post 'helpful!'

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 30 Jan 2013 - 5:57 PM
    llareggub
    llareggub  4698 forum posts United Kingdom
    30 Jan 2013 - 6:12 PM

I didn't see 2011 as a failure, I was not getting anything from doing it and the only thing that kept me going was a sense of bloody mindedness Wink

I had a massive amount of fun in 2012 with it apart from the last month but found it stopped me doing something that I wanted to do a little more and that was blogging about taking photographs and what I was doing, I still have a load of images that are good and did nothing with because it was all about 1 image a day...

So this year I am determined to put together more meaningful content on my site through pictures, I am hoping to do something once a fortnight or so and take a whole day to do it but not put a fixed "project title" on it.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.