Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

?????

Is it only me or is the concept behind the Vs mode in meed of an overhaul?
If one has to select best of what ever one has to compare apples with apples.
How does one choose the better pic when one has to choose between a naked lady or a damsel fly???
Given the neked lady is going to win in any given demographic over the insect.And visa versa....a bird on a twig versus an abstract???
In my view if one wants to have this type of contest...put like up against like.At least for two reasons...topic and what is required in both disciplines to create the best image one is able to capture at the time.
AS a man a blue tit on a female beats a blue tit in the wild.
Hold on before you get your knickers in a twist.All forms of photography have discipline unique to that form and as such need to be compared or judged within that context.Apples against apples.
Having vented... one fact remains cream rises to the top.Lets just compare apples with apples.

If one has nothing better to do.................stir.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KarenFB e2
8 4.4k 163 England
2 Feb 2013 6:46AM
There were one or two comments (okay, 1013) made on the subject Here ! Wink
Dave_E e2
6 125 United Kingdom
2 Feb 2013 10:14AM

Quote:one fact remains cream rises to the top.

I heard this said by a speaker at a meeting one day at work and a voice from the back replied " Unfortunately so does scum" GrinGrinGrin
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
2 Feb 2013 10:31AM
GrinGrinGrinGrinGrin

I'm staying well out of this one!

AdeWink
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
2 Feb 2013 10:37AM
Ade,

Can you put your name at the end of every post so that I can see it's from you just in case one day I somehow miss your avatar and the blue bold "Ade_Osman" that precedes your every post

Wink
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
2 Feb 2013 10:40AM
Just me being me Chris.....You know what I'm like Tongue I will try to refrain, but it's a habit I've gotten into because I sign off loads of other forums with it....
Snapster e2
2 133 England
2 Feb 2013 10:40AM
There are times when I view pictures in verses mode, that I do get plane v plane, car v car etc.
Other times it seems to be totally random and sometimes the same picture comes up three times in row?
If it is random how is that possible with so many pics on here?
WhiteRose1 e2
4 1.1k 137 England
2 Feb 2013 8:09PM
Still waiting to see some stats on how many are voting/how many votes being cast.

Another consideration is how the leader board is established. The current leader has 77 wins and 36 losses. One further down has 29 wins and only 5 losses, ie. only 2 out of 3 people vote for the first but 6 out of 7 for the latter (approx), should the latter not be the leading image?
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
3 Feb 2013 8:36AM

Quote:Still waiting to see some stats on how many are voting/how many votes being cast.

Another consideration is how the leader board is established. The current leader has 77 wins and 36 losses. One further down has 29 wins and only 5 losses, ie. only 2 out of 3 people vote for the first but 6 out of 7 for the latter (approx), should the latter not be the leading image?

I have also wondered about that point. The higher percentage of votes must count for something?
p12owe e2
2 101 2 United Kingdom
3 Feb 2013 9:35AM

Quote:Still waiting to see some stats on how many are voting/how many votes being cast.

I have to agree with this one, the leader board as it stands is pretty meaningless, that said, you would still have to put a minimum number of votes against any "percentage won" table or every new image with just one winning vote and no losses would be at the top.

I think the whole thing is best kept and used as a bit of fun. I put all my images up for Versus mode just to see what I lose against. My own avatar currently stands at 99 (46.15% won), ie. more lost than won... probably about right as it is only a fun self portrait, however when you then click the Vmode to see what it came up against you wonder how anyone could objectively compare the diverse images.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.