Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

? STOLEN FUJIFILM FinePix F200EXR

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

tywanda46
tywanda46  9 United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
13 Oct 2010 - 11:14 PM

Hi I am looking for some advice please.
I won a FUJIFILM FinePix F200EXR in a photography competition run by the Photography Monthly magazine last year. However it mysteriously disappeared from my place of accommodation ( I live in a shared house with five others) One of these people who has since left recently went on holiday and asked me if I could process some images he took. Whilst in photoshop I went into 'file info' to see what shutter speed he had used and was surprised to see that the make of the camera he had used was the same as my missing one! Later I casually asked him what camera he used and he said he had borrowed it from a friend and it was a Panasonic Lumix. I know that the EXIF info is accurate so know he was not telling me the truth.
My question is:-
Is it possible for me to find out by comparing the file data with one of his images and one of mine that I took on the FUJIFILM camera, to see if it is indeed the same camera. I have kept the box that the camera came in so have the model number info.
It's just that i do not want to challenge him unless I can be a 100% sure that he has my camera!
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Oct 2010 - 11:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Hugo
Hugo  9636 forum posts United Kingdom
14 Oct 2010 - 12:07 AM

Well Adobe Bridge/Photoshop shows a serial number in the Metadata for my 40d. I never put that in.
Like this example

If you don't have them - there are free viewers too.
http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/exifsoftware/EXIF_IPTC_XMP_Software_Metadata_Re...

Compare one of your photos with his...

Last Modified By Hugo at 14 Oct 2010 - 12:08 AM
tywanda46
14 Oct 2010 - 1:14 AM

Hi Hugo,
I really appreciate your help. I have had a look in the Metadata in Bridge and also downloaded one of the free viewers but unfortunately it only states the Make and model and not the serial number. However when I use a jpeg from my Canon 30D it shows the serial number. So I guess it must just do this for SLR's and not compact cameras.
Thank you anyway

MrGoatsmilk
14 Oct 2010 - 9:18 AM

Where does the person live? Do you have the serial number for the camera or can you get it from the people who supplied it?

Either check on the camera itself, or as I would do get it reported as there is enough there as you have already stated to have the person arrested and the camera seized.

tywanda46
14 Oct 2010 - 9:59 AM

Hi MrGoatsmilk,

Thank you for your advice. Yes I have the serial number on the box which I kept. I do not have the camera however I am going to challenge the guy and show him the evidence and ask him to bring me the camera that he used and then I will be able to compare serial numbers

BubbaG2000
14 Oct 2010 - 1:48 PM

This is a great wee Exif viewer...
Click!

Good luck sorting it out. Sounds like a bad situation! Let us know how you get on.

Macullum
Macullum  6 United Kingdom
14 Oct 2010 - 10:27 PM

photome ( the above link) shows my cameras serial no, firmware and lots of other usefull info, so as long as your camera did the same, then yes!

tywanda46
15 Oct 2010 - 2:17 AM

Hi BubbaG2000 & Macullum,
Thank you SO much for suggesting photome. I have just downloaded the software, and compared my friends jpeg with a jpeg I took before my camera went missing. The EXIF info displayed the internal serial number and on both jpegs they were an exact match!
I have mixed feelings as it means that someone I regarded as a friend has stolen my camera but am also pleased that the mystery of my missing camera has been solved. I now intend to confront him with the evidence and demand to have my camera returned.
Thank you all for your help as I had contacted Fujifilm but they had no suggestions to offer me.

montechoro
montechoro  112340 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
15 Oct 2010 - 8:03 AM

tywnada46 - sorry to read about your deceitful "friend".

What is means is he has no respect for you and in addition to being a thief, is prepared to lie, cheat and bluff his way out of anything.

Pick your timing to confront him carefully and don't give him the chance to dispose of the camera.

I would even be tempted to seek advice from your local police station - it is theft and you are recovering stolen goods belonging to you.

He might not think twice about lying to you again but he would if a policeman is present.

What a scum bag he is.

Freila
Freila  4106 forum posts
15 Oct 2010 - 8:56 AM

Hi Jean. Let us know how you get on, We all have are fingers crossed for you. I think it is the hurt that is worse as this 'person' was a friend then the cost of the camera. Good luck.

tywanda46
15 Oct 2010 - 10:21 AM

Hi
Thanks for your comments of support. I am dreading confronting him about it but know it needs to be done. I won the Fujifilm camera last summer in the 'Extreme' competition run by the Photography Monthly magazine. There were 4 winners and we had to go to London and use the camera for 24hrs and then write a review on it as it had recently been launched. It was the first time I had ever won anything in a photographic competition so was really happy, also I had never owned a digital compact before. I only had the camera for a few weeks. If you have a look on my portfolio you can see the image that I won with. It is titled 'Abandoned' However as the theme for the competition was 'Extreme' I titled it @Extreme Conditions' for the purpose of the competition.
I only had the camera for a few weeks before it went 'missing' or should I saw 'was stolen' now. I kept the box and accessories just incase I had misplaced it but did have a gut feeling that someone in the house had taken it.
I am going to have to build myself up to confronting him this weekend and will let you know how it goes.
I haven't been on Ephotozine for some time but will do so much more now as did not realise what such a supportive community it has.
Thanks again

BubbaG2000
15 Oct 2010 - 11:20 AM

Any time Jean!
I'm not the best at confrontations myself, so I wish you all the best. Let us know how you get on.
As for your winning picture... it was well deserved!!

MrGoatsmilk
15 Oct 2010 - 11:49 AM

It's plain and simple theft, he needs to be arrested and dealt with, who will he steal from next if not?

montechoro
montechoro  112340 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
15 Oct 2010 - 7:20 PM

Jean - please do not confront him on your own.

Make sure you have a witness who is in full possession of all the facts - if that person also happens to be a police officer, your lying, cheating, thieving, ex-friend deserves all he gets.

Make sure you have a witness or two and don't give him the opportunity to dispose of the camera.

You won't be the first person this moron has robbed and you won't be the last until he gets what he deserves.

Tandberg
Tandberg  111218 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
15 Oct 2010 - 7:42 PM

id get the proof as you have and take it to the police!
Its as simple as that, your a lady who needs not to be confronting this creep over this matter just go straight to the police and dont hesitate.

He does need the long arm of the law to teach him the right and wrongs of doing this to anybody never mind friends, and the fact that you might not go to the police will aid him in thinking he can and will get away with such behaviour in the future. He may plead and say sorry and you may forgive him but it wont stop him from being an oppertunist THIEF will it.
DO the right thing and go see the men in blue, you know its the proper and just thing to do
Dave

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.