Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

1/2 price for Lightroom 3

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82275 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom123 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2011 - 1:02 PM

Jus a heads up for anyone interested ib buying a copy of LR. Amazon currently are offering a 50% discount - for this week only.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Aug 2011 - 1:02 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014014 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2011 - 1:03 PM

hhmmm - wonder if that's a pointer to LR4 coming out in the autumn...

JJGEE
JJGEE  96216 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2011 - 1:17 PM

Quote: hhmmm - wonder if that's a pointer to LR4 coming out in the autumn...

I spotted a comment from Eric Chan a couple of weeks ago that some interesting things were being developed.
And when Adobe start dropping hints, who knows what is around the corner Wink

I note also that Adobe themselves are currently offering a 30% discount on LR.

Will be interesting to see how LR 4 pitches up against Aperture, currently about one third of the discounted price of LR ! !

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82275 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom123 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2011 - 2:38 PM

Sorry about my poorly written post - thats what you get for rushing!

AlanPerkins
22 Aug 2011 - 4:22 PM

... now I need to convince myself that it's worthwhile!

I already use Photoshop CS4. What are the advantages of LR?

i really, really want to justify it Wink

nicholas9916
22 Aug 2011 - 4:35 PM

with lightroom you can get a better workflow than adobe bridge, and also you dont need to save the photo for the effects it updates on its own ... some more advantages too Grin

MeanGreeny
22 Aug 2011 - 4:35 PM

Quote: ... now I need to convince myself that it's worthwhile!

I have a solid, established workflow with Bridge and CS4 but heard good reviews about LR3 so figured 'what the hell'

I trialled LR3, hated it, persevered .............. and still hated it.

Always happy to help Grin

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2011 - 4:45 PM

Quote: I trialled LR3, hated it, persevered .............. and still hated it.

Always happy to help Grin

My experience has been exactly the opposite I trialled it, loved it and bought it. Almost every day I discover something new about it that I just adore. It's the best thing since sliced bread.

What is there to lose? Download the trial version and if you like it great (and you can buy it when it's cheap); if you don't just delete it.

Dave_Canon
23 Aug 2011 - 12:26 PM

A good tip. A relative of mine planned to buy LR 3 in the next couple of months and has rushed in his order at this bargain price.

Dave

Jestertheclown
23 Aug 2011 - 12:33 PM

I use Lightroom 3(.4) and CS5 and for a long time, I couldn't get on with Lightroom but I kept trying and now I find I'm using it quite a lot more but only for certain things. I still fall back on CS5 for most of my editing.

I guess it depends on what you want to do. Lightroom's far from user-friendly and you'll very likely be disappointed to begin with and therein, perhaps, lies its problem. Because it's tricky to use and most of its options are hidden, I think a lot of people could be put off.

Edit; Getting the trial version will give you a taste of things to come but you'll barely scratch the surface in thirty days (if that's how long you get.) and there's no knowing how long thw Amazon offer will last. Their offers seem to change fro one minute to the next.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 23 Aug 2011 - 12:36 PM
Railcam
Railcam  7465 forum posts Scotland
23 Aug 2011 - 12:46 PM

I was also slow to get into LR3. However, since watching the Julieanne Kost tutorial videos
http://jkost.com/lightroom.html I now realise how powerful LR3 is and it is now my main RAW converter and post processor. I only use an image editor if I need to do cloning or use layers.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014014 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
23 Aug 2011 - 12:51 PM

i really, really want to justify it

100 ways Lightroom kicks Birdges Ass Wink

When starting with Lightroom I would get used to the library module first. it works well as a way to classify and find all your pictures. Combined with the Export functions it can really improve your workflow and allow you to simplify things a lot.

The develop module is good but won't really save you much time over doing stuff in PS..it's just a bit easier & more convenient.

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 23 Aug 2011 - 12:51 PM
digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
23 Aug 2011 - 1:24 PM

As a long time Capture One/PS CS2 user, what benefits would I see if I took up this offer (tempting that it is)?

Does LR3 run faster than C1? Can I do basic curves, levels and sharpening in there, avoiding having to run raw files through 2 applications?

I never use Bridge anyway, I tend to use Picasa to catalogue and view images.

I'm waiting, open minded, to be convinced folks. Smile

Ian

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
23 Aug 2011 - 1:27 PM

Quote: Does LR3 run faster than C1?

I think so.
Though I see no reason why you should change to LR3 since you already have C1.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
23 Aug 2011 - 1:35 PM

Quote: Though I see no reason why you should change to LR3 since you already have C1.

Cheers Cole, that's what I was wondering.

Actually there could be a reason if using LR3 would prevent the need to use PS except for extreme editing. I'm trying to get Robbie into using RAW and the idea of having to use 2 applications doesn't sit well with her, if LR3 gets over that it may be worth having.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.