Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
779HOB
779HOB  21018 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Mar 2013 - 7:06 AM

Currently I am not looking to replace my D700 I love it and it works for me very well. I am interested in the CSC idea but more as something to keep an eye on rather than jumping into right now. The video, I would have liked to have watched but couldn't get past him and after 4 minutes had to leave him to it I am afraid. I might return to it.

If I can explain why I am looking at the X100s or something akin to it. I have been slowly and steadily building up the amount of work I do with my camera. I didn't want to take the jump and give up my day job in one hit, I have a mortgage and rent etc etc to pay....

However, I have worked pretty much two full-time jobs over the last 18 months; 9-5 as a college manager and every other hour, weekends, evenings and nights doing photography work of one kind or another. I'm a smidgen away from the next stage which is to go part time at my college job. One of the benefits of working in education is they have systems for people to change working hours for a year, working term time only etc etc... They make the transition from working for them and setting up on your own comfortable.

The thing is; my D700 has now become a work tool and I find I am using my phone a lot for fun photography, not that the work isn't fun but you get what I mean. I do love my iPhone and its camera apps but I want something that sits between the phone and the D700. Something I can use in the casual way I do my phone, a carry around. Dragging out the D700 even with just a 50mm on it in a cafe or some such place is intrusive.

I don't think I am ready for my DSLR to gather dust just yet in the same way I am not ready for my OM10 to gather dust. Maybe in time my DLSR will be longingly looked at in the same way the OM10 is mostly now but not for a few years I suspect.

This purchase is my holiday, my birthday, Christmas etc........ In some ways it's my soft-top sports car now I'm 46! It's definitely a payback to myself for the hours of lost sleep over the last 18 months and a kick start into the next 18.

I am still not completely sold on the X100s yet and this thread has given me food for thought for this purchase and those of the future maybe too.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Mar 2013 - 7:06 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2013 - 11:37 AM

I sold my Canon 5D Mk II + lenses (including 'L' ones) for a CSC kit... initially an Olympus E-PL2, which was eventually replaced by the OM-D. Best thing I ever did, from the point of view of my enthusiasm for photography. For fun stuff I carry what is probably the smallest compact around - a Sony TX55; it literally fits in my shirt pocket and is smaller and lighter than my smartphone.

It is probably wise to see a CSC as a DSLR replacement. Even something as small as an Oly E-PM2, which has the same sensor as the OM-D, should be capable of excellent results.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315182 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2013 - 1:40 PM

These are my two fun, take anywhere cameras Andrew.

One is my x10, there other is a tiny CSC fitted with a 14mm prime.

3-p1010073.jpg

Personally I love the Fuji`s, and anything from there "X" series will be good and enjoyable I can assure you Smile

Check out these pro blogs.

http://texasshooter.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/location-portraits-with-fujifilm-x100...
http://lindsaydobsonphotography.com/blog/locations-portraits-fuji-x10-and-5d-mki...
http://www.frankdoorhof.com/site/2012/04/fuji-x10-review/

The x10 are down to about 300 now, and the older silver x100 are down to a little other 500, the newer x20 will be about 500 and the newer x100s about a 1000.

The x100 is pretty small, its only slightly bigger than the x10 compact.

Then there are the "Small CSC`s that are no bigger than a compact fitted with one of the primes like like the Pany 14mm or Pany 20mm pancakes, again these can be pretty cheap packages.

Quote: It is probably wise to see a CSC as a DSLR replacement

Maybe if getting the GH3 or OMD, but a small CSC can be slipped in a pocket and taken anywhere.

But the Fuji`s will always have a hole lot more character Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 12 Mar 2013 - 1:46 PM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2013 - 2:02 PM

The GH3 is a good deal bigger than the OM-D (see pic) and is no way a pocket camera. The OM-D + pancake is just about coat-pocketable. But the E-PM2 is better in that role.

gh3-om-d.jpg

779HOB
12 Mar 2013 - 2:13 PM

Quote: But the Fuji`s will always have a hole lot more character

And that's kinda the point here I think for me. Yours just looks like it wants to be picked up and used.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315182 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2013 - 2:17 PM

Yes it does, and it gets used a whole lot more than any of my old dslr`s and newer CSC`s Smile

779HOB
12 Mar 2013 - 3:55 PM

Thanks for the link Paul, I really liked Steve Fullers blog.

Paul Morgan
12 Mar 2013 - 4:44 PM

Its all I look at these days, find they give me more information than revues.

779HOB
12 Mar 2013 - 8:09 PM

There is so much good stuff out there it's great to have some new ones pointed out. Would be a good feature here maybe to have recommended blogs - not just photography.

Paul Morgan
12 Mar 2013 - 8:47 PM

Quote: Would be a good feature here maybe to have recommended blogs - not just photography

And interviews with well known Photographers and book reviews would be nice to have as well Smile

779HOB
12 Mar 2013 - 8:57 PM

Quote: And interviews with well known Photographers and book reviews would be nice to have as well

Indeed. I think I said that on the survey!!!

Paul Morgan
13 Mar 2013 - 5:54 PM

Yes I believe it was Smile

779HOB
15 Mar 2013 - 4:45 PM

Small update : I'm off to Clifton Cameras tomorrow morning to have a play with the X100s and if I like it I think I might just bring it home with me!

Carabosse
15 Mar 2013 - 5:00 PM

Quote: I might just bring it home with me!

I have a feeling you will. You fell in love with it a while ago! Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.