Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

1.4 TC

ringyneck e2
8 308 18 United Kingdom
4 Nov 2012 1:35AM
I was thinking of getting a 1.4 TC to extend the reach on my 400 5.6 with the 7D. This would only make it a 6.3 if I am correct and can live with that as my previous Bigma was that.
Obviously I what it to be Canon so can anyone fill me in on the available ones...did a google and got mk 2/ 3 etc so was instantly on my guard.That's why i thought of asking someone who might have experience of these.

Keith

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
4 Nov 2012 1:41AM
Better confirm it, but I think the MK II and III require newer, very expensive lenses to be of any additional benefit. Also, I don't think you will get auto-focus with TC on that lens. I could be wrong, so check into it thoroughly.

Denny
sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
4 Nov 2012 8:58AM
I don't have AF with my TC with the 100-400. That said its that long since I used the TC (a mark II) I can't remember if its the 1.4 or the 2 I have!
colin beeley e2
12 1.1k 10 England
4 Nov 2012 9:09AM
it will give you f/8.0, & i think you will not have auto focus on a 7D.you would on a 1D camera though.
ringyneck e2
8 308 18 United Kingdom
4 Nov 2012 11:04AM
Thanks everyone...just the info I needed....namely beware....

So the 1.4 jumps up 2 stops ...is that as same as the 2 TC as well.
I tried a 1.4 on an Olympus 300 mm 2.8 and it did go to f4 as I now recall.I always thought it was one stop on a 1.4 and 2 on a 2.
Manual focus would b***** my plan though.....Sad
Keith
tomcat e2
9 6.2k 15 United Kingdom
4 Nov 2012 11:06AM

Quote:it will give you f/8.0, & i think you will not have auto focus on a 7D.you would on a 1D camera though.

I use a Sigma 1.4x occasionally with my 400mm 5.6 and 1d Mk III and as Colin states you have f/8
4 Nov 2012 11:07AM
Hi Keith,

You lose autofocus on the 400 f.56 although I keep it with my 300 f.4 - autofocus is lost on the 100-400 lens too. I thought initially that it wouldn't matter too much to lose it but it does (to me anyway)! I also have a 2 TC which I never use really & you do lose autofocus with that too - but you're welcome to try that one if you want to!

Lou
ringyneck e2
8 308 18 United Kingdom
4 Nov 2012 12:38PM
Thanks again everyone....Blimey I cannot believe how kind people are....Thanks louise for the offer...If we meet up again and you have it I wouldn't mind - just to see what effect it would have.Mind you I think the man focus would be a pain ...old eyes you know...Wink

I find it amazing that own brand TC's loose AF on lenses that are far from the budget range.....
Keith
colin beeley e2
12 1.1k 10 England
4 Nov 2012 3:10PM
but they don't if you have 1D cameras !
4 Nov 2012 4:56PM

Quote:I find it amazing that own brand TC's loose AF on lenses that are far from the budget range.....

It's not the lens that counts - it's the minimum aperture in the camera's specification, f8 on 1D/1DS cameras, f5.6 on the others. The TC disables the AF because the combination of TC and lens takes it outside the camera spec so Canon cannot guarantee reliable AF.

The reason your Bigma didn't lose AF is that Sigma lenses "lie" to the camera, only reporting f5.6 to the AF system.

That said, depending on the lens, it can be possible to fool the camera by taping over some contacts on the extender as per the first tip below;
http://www.fredmiranda.com/TipsPage/

I say "depending on the lens" because the contacts concerned appear to do different things with different lenses - for example, it works a treat with a 1.4x extender on the 100-400/f5.6 L but was absolutely useless on my 70-200/f4 (original version). It may also only work with Canon extenders or, maybe, only Mk1 Canon extenders.
ringyneck e2
8 308 18 United Kingdom
4 Nov 2012 4:59PM
Blimey it's more of a minefield than i thought it would be...thanks for all the info.

Keith
4 Nov 2012 5:25PM

Quote:Blimey it's more of a minefield than i thought it would be...thanks for all the info.

Afraid so.

What you could try would be to apply tape to the back of your 400/f5.6 (reversing the view in the link I posted) and try it and your 7D with a 1.4x extender (either from someone you know who has one or a local shop) to see if it works. If it does you have your answer - well, actually you'd also have it if it doesn't Wink
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
5 Nov 2012 4:52PM
As said above, the AF is poor above f8, and if you use the Canon TCs with the 400 f5.6, the loss of one stop will mean it is f8 and the tc communicates this to the camera so you lose AF completely.
However, if you use a third-party tc the tc does not communicate this.

Just last weekend, I used the 100-400 with a Tamron 1.4tc and it did autofocus as long as it was high contrast. I have seen reviews that said the Tamron is very close to the Canon tc in quality for a fraction of the price so that was the compromise I chose.
NeilS e2
7 940 United Kingdom
5 Nov 2012 5:41PM
Can't speak for the 400l, but Kenko DGX converters also relay incorrect info back allowing AF at f8 and beyond, I have the 70-300L and that will physically only take a Kenko and it autofocuses with a 50D even with a 2x

If you google kenko 1.4 DGX and 400 L you should find the answer, although I would pay some attention to the performace achieved by others with a 7D body, as both AF speed/accuracy and IQ can take a hit

Basically a 5.6 min aperture moves to F8 with a 1.4 tc ie one stop, and two stops to F11 with a 2x tc

I was so disappointed with my Canon 2x mark 2 that I sold it, after aquiring a Kenko and I still use the Kenko DGX 2x on my three long lenses
I purchased a Tamron two element 1.4X televerter about twenty (yes twenty) years ago. It doesn't degrade or distort the image very much, if at all. If so, it isn't noticable though I carefully inspect my photos with a strong lupe. I've no reason to "upgrade". Obviously, I'm suggesting you find one of these beautiful metal/glass instruments and give her a try. I'm quite in love with mine. They're easy to find on eBay and sometimes in the used sections of Amazon, B&H and Adorama. My qualifications are thirty years as a newspaper/magazine photographer, plus years of sideline work as a police photographer. But most compelling, I absolutely love cameras and all equipment associated with them. Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.