Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

1,500 to spend. Canon 7d, Nikon d7000 or Canon 600d

21 Apr 2011 10:11PM
Right. Here goes. I've been a member since 2004 and a while back was what you'd call fairly successful on epz (I think). My circumstances changed a couple years back and since then I've had no camera gear (my last camera was a Canon 400d).
In a few weeks I will have around 1,500 to play with and I'm desperate to get back in to pushing that shutter button. So after doing some research I'm now torn as wether to get a Canon 7d with kit lens, A Nikon d7000 with kit lens and zoom lens, or a Canon 600d with kit lens, zoom lens and battery grip. I have only ever had entry level dslr's but would like to get something that actually feels more so I can do more with it if you know what I mean (creative would be the word).
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm exhausted from reading reviews and youtube!
Many thanks, Martin.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
21 Apr 2011 10:33PM
I probably won't suggest a 7D as you don't really do action.
So, maybe D5100 or 600D? Should leave you more money to get another lens etc.
Otherwise, maybe D7000.
uzi9mm e2
3 79 United Kingdom
21 Apr 2011 10:38PM
dont forget to consider pentax k5 as well check out dxo.com its got the best sensor in its class and fully weather proof. agreat all round camera.
21 Apr 2011 10:41PM
Cheers.
I'm leaning towards the d7000 as never used Nikon before and it's got to last a few years. Next step is to go to Jessops for some hands on. I reckon I could be there for hours! I'm hoping the step up from my old Canon 400d will be noticeable.
Thanks for your time.
21 Apr 2011 10:42PM
Pentax k5 was my 4th choice... guess I'll be at the shop even longer.
Cheers.
By the time I make my mind up, the next range will be out!
uzi9mm e2
3 79 United Kingdom
21 Apr 2011 10:57PM
problem with jessops never have much to play with try pc world/currys super store ive had a play with the d7000 there and pentax cameras other wise have a good look on youtube.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
21 Apr 2011 11:02PM
Maybe if you first decide which system you want to get into, then choosing one out of that system shouldn't be too difficult.
I have no doubt Pentex is great. Personally, I will only get Canon or Nikon, simply because I could find plenty of excellent used lenses for them. And that is important to me.
21 Apr 2011 11:18PM
I should be able to get my hands on all of them briefly, but having used Canon for ages and wanting to try something new (Nikon) is why I'm torn. I hope to add lenses over the next year, and Canon and Nikon have them by the bucket load.
22 Apr 2011 12:43AM
I have no specific subject. I will basically shoot anything. I want a body that would serve me fairly well in everything. Although I'm most comfortable photographing handheld. An adequate all rounder would be great. Lenses I can gather with time.
RonnieAG e2
5 143 112 Scotland
22 Apr 2011 1:49AM
I would have to agree with Chris_L's comment re. the fixed 24-70 f/2.8 lens but this means blowing nearly all your readies on the lens, whereas you want to buy the camera too. I have the Nikon D7000 with kit DX 18-200mm. lens and for general purposes I have to say I fine it excellent. If you care to look at my portfolio you will see that most of my recent shots have been taken with that camera and lens, and whilst definition in these reduced size files is the of the absolute best, it should give you a reasonable idea of what's possible. I can honestly say the camera is a delight to handle and menus are quite intuitive,
Ronnie.
Fishnet e2
10 5.0k 5 United Kingdom
22 Apr 2011 1:41PM
Ooooh I am so tempted by that Sigma lens, I have a bit of money to play with since the Mr passed away and I have been after a new camera/lens for ages now, in fact he was going to buy me the Nikon D7000 this year, not sure I can cope with the guilt of spending all that money on myself though just yet, but I do have 2 friend's weddings to do in June and I'm terrified my D80 will give up the ghost in the middle of one of them.

I dooooo like that lens though.......
Fishnet e2
10 5.0k 5 United Kingdom
22 Apr 2011 1:54PM
Oh no, it appears to be discontinued, is that right?
Fishnet e2
10 5.0k 5 United Kingdom
22 Apr 2011 2:08PM
Where's the best place to find 2nd hand ones?
DOGSBODY e2
6 1.4k 30 England
22 Apr 2011 4:24PM
Before I attempted an answer to your question I decided to have at look at your gallery to see what kind of photography you are into and, basically, you answered the question yourself in that you are living proof that you don't need expensive gear to produce great pictures. Both of the cameras that you mention are more than capable of producing high quality images so, as has been said already, decide which system you want and then just take the plunge. I doubt whether you will see a substantial improvement over what you produced with the 400D though - wonderful stuff.
Fishnet e2
10 5.0k 5 United Kingdom
22 Apr 2011 4:38PM
Ooh Chris, I must have typed in the wrong thing because i only got one before on ebay, thanks for that!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.