Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

1 nikkor lenses

15 Nov 2012 1:57PM
Hey there,

I really enjoy mingling on this site with such talented and tech savvy folks around that I feel in itself my being an E2 member is like taking an online Photography course.

Which isn't bad at all Grin.

Now back to my new topic here. As most of you know I currently own a Nikon V1 with a kit lens 10-30mm (crop factor of 2.7), and am currently busting to purchase a faster lens in the:

Option 1: 10mm prime pancake

or

Option 2: 18.5mm fixed f1.8.

Which would you recommend at this stage as am a little confused?

I'll be using mostly for Portrait and Landscape shots with slow Shutter Speeds.

Awaiting your much appreciated response.

Regards.

wenzu

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

15 Nov 2012 2:12PM
I think you answered this one yourself, the 10mm on the v1 is what most would use for landscapes and the 18.5mm 1.8 for general snaps and portraits, the crop factor works well for some things and not for others in my opinion.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
15 Nov 2012 2:16PM
For portraits - head & shoulders - the 18.5mm (FF=50mm) is a bit short. The 30-110mm would give you a bit more scope and would not overlap with your existing lens. But it is not a fast lens.
15 Nov 2012 2:45PM

Quote:For portraits - head & shoulders - the 18.5mm (FF=50mm) is a bit short. The 30-110mm would give you a bit more scope and would not overlap with your existing lens. But it is not a fast lens.

Hi there,

Another thing about the mirror less is that they allow for some discrete snapping. So I wouldn't go for a big lens.

Basically if I keep my 10-30mm for general snaps and opt for the 10mm for landscapes, it would be better than the new faster 18.5mm?

Thank you.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
15 Nov 2012 3:00PM
For landscapes, spending money on a fast lens is not necesarily a good idea. You will usually want to maximise depth of field, so you will be using smallish ("slow") apertures anyway.
15 Nov 2012 3:15PM

Quote:For landscapes, spending money on a fast lens is not necesarily a good idea. You will usually want to maximise depth of field, so you will be using smallish ("slow") apertures anyway.

Since I don't currently own the speed flash, I'd rather put low-light performance at the top of my priorities. So I guess the 18.5mm over the 10mm as max. aperture is wider on the former?

Thank you.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
15 Nov 2012 5:34PM
Are you doing low-light landscapes?

The 18.5mm would not be an ideal landscape lens. On a 2.7 crop camera it, generally speaking, would often not be wide enough. Unfortunately the range of lenses for the Nikon 1-series is extremely limited.
15 Nov 2012 5:54PM

Quote:Are you doing low-light landscapes?

The 18.5mm would not be an ideal landscape lens. On a 2.7 crop camera it, generally speaking, would often not be wide enough. Unfortunately the range of lenses for the Nikon 1-series is extremely limited.

Mainly sunsets.

I would wait a little longer as am not planning to get another camera any time soon.

Thank you immensely for your time.

regards.

wenzu
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
15 Nov 2012 8:10PM
For portraits have you thought of using legacy lenses via an adapter, there`s simply thousands of different lenses available.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=node%3D560834&field-keywords=lens+adapters+nikon+v1&rh=n%3A560834%2Ck%3Alens+adapters+nikon+v1

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.