Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

105w CFL Photography Bulb Daylight Balanced 5500k E27 - Anyone tried these bulbs for indoor portraits/still life?

canonfan46 e2
5 1.1k United Kingdom
11 Jan 2013 2:48PM
Hi all,
I spotted these bulbs on Ebay and was wondering if this type of lighting was any good for portaraits etc.

Has anyone tried them?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
11 Jan 2013 3:52PM
Arguably they're not great if you like minimal processing, because CFLs and LEDs both have a tendency towards green casts, but that's theoretical - for the price you may as well try them I guess and see what you think!

Old-fashioned incandescent technology is a more straightforward bet because of its continuous spectrum and predictable nature; it's easily corrected despite its warm lighting. CFLs and LEDs have a discontinuous spectrum, which makes them more complicated for photographic purposes and harder work in post processing - some photographers accept that, others don't.
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2013 4:20PM
I've used them for still life and studio shoots in people's houses. I prefer the light from a flash unit but think they are great.
I use them with a £12 socket from ebay that goes on my normal lighting stand and allows me to fit a shoot through brolly. Constant light is good for video too.
I'd recomend trying them.
ALSO if you suffer from SAD, i don't but i think the light make me feel like its a summers day Smile

I've got a pic of it here - http://www.ephotozine.com/forums/topic/monday-night-challenge-101087/p-1 under the blown out earrings.
canonfan46 e2
5 1.1k United Kingdom
11 Jan 2013 4:25PM
Thanks GlennH/Jack
As you say, at the price its worth a try.
11 Jan 2013 10:11PM
I've been using one this evening.
daylight-bulb.jpg

From the camera no PP
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
11 Jan 2013 11:43PM
The problem with these lights is that they need to contain the colour that you're photographing in order for an imaging sensor to record it. With a tungsten/incandescent light this is a given because of the continuous spectrum—making them comparable in that respect to daylight. But CFLs and LEDs are problematic, not in a way that will affect every picture you take, but in their very unpredictability.

You might look at the picture in this link, for instance, which demonstrates the potential pitfalls of using LED lighting (i.e. its inherent poor performance with skin tones and aqua blue). This similarly applies to CFL lighting because of its discontinuous spectrum (the smooth diagonal in the incandescent chart is significant in the link, as opposed to the spiky chart of a fluorescent light).

On the other hand you can write all of this stuff off by saying the world and lighting ain't perfect, but it does at least show you what you might expect from modern incarnations of the household bulb!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.