Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

105w CFL Photography Bulb Daylight Balanced 5500k E27 - Anyone tried these bulbs ...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    canonfan46
    11 Jan 2013 - 2:48 PM

Hi all,
    I spotted these bulbs on Ebay and was wondering if this type of lighting was any good for portaraits etc.

Has anyone tried them?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    11 Jan 2013 - 2:48 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GlennH
    GlennH e2 Member 91880 forum postsGlennH vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Jan 2013 - 3:52 PM

Arguably they're not great if you like minimal processing, because CFLs and LEDs both have a tendency towards green casts, but that's theoretical - for the price you may as well try them I guess and see what you think!

Old-fashioned incandescent technology is a more straightforward bet because of its continuous spectrum and predictable nature; it's easily corrected despite its warm lighting. CFLs and LEDs have a discontinuous spectrum, which makes them more complicated for photographic purposes and harder work in post processing - some photographers accept that, others don't.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53512 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Jan 2013 - 4:20 PM

I've used them for still life and studio shoots in people's houses. I prefer the light from a flash unit but think they are great.
    I use them with a £12 socket from ebay that goes on my normal lighting stand and allows me to fit a shoot through brolly. Constant light is good for video too.
    I'd recomend trying them.
    ALSO if you suffer from SAD, i don't but i think the light make me feel like its a summers day Smile

I've got a pic of it here - http://www.ephotozine.com/forums/topic/monday-night-challenge-101087/p-1 under the blown out earrings.

Last Modified By JackAllTog at 11 Jan 2013 - 4:24 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    canonfan46
    11 Jan 2013 - 4:25 PM

Thanks GlennH/Jack
    As you say, at the price its worth a try.

RadarUK
    RadarUK  2 United Kingdom
    11 Jan 2013 - 10:11 PM

I've been using one this evening.
    daylight-bulb.jpg
    From the camera no PP

GlennH
    GlennH e2 Member 91880 forum postsGlennH vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Jan 2013 - 11:43 PM

The problem with these lights is that they need to contain the colour that you're photographing in order for an imaging sensor to record it. With a tungsten/incandescent light this is a given because of the continuous spectrum—making them comparable in that respect to daylight. But CFLs and LEDs are problematic, not in a way that will affect every picture you take, but in their very unpredictability.

You might look at the picture in this link, for instance, which demonstrates the potential pitfalls of using LED lighting (i.e. its inherent poor performance with skin tones and aqua blue). This similarly applies to CFL lighting because of its discontinuous spectrum (the smooth diagonal in the incandescent chart is significant in the link, as opposed to the spiky chart of a fluorescent light).

On the other hand you can write all of this stuff off by saying the world and lighting ain't perfect, but it does at least show you what you might expect from modern incarnations of the household bulb!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.